Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate(ETC) & Future Flight Credit(FFC)

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate(ETC) & Future Flight Credit(FFC)

Old Apr 1, 2023, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Interesting, because last time I tried this, it didn't work. Had an FFC expiring 12/31/23, Made a booking for May sometime last year (new booking) paid for with the FFC, cancelled it this February - the issued FFC still has validity 12/31/23.

Did I do something wrong? I've since made another new booking that I likely won't be able to fly and while I COULD find some random itinerary to waste it on before the end of the year, I'd prefer to extend it if I could.
Interesting, I just checked the cancel options for the aforementioned trip and it says:

"Transaction summary

Credit
$4,431.68
To Future flight creditPlease use confirmation number XXXXXX to return to this canceled reservation in My Trips and make changes for a future trip. Change fees will apply when you use the future flight credit unless you qualify for a change fee waiver. Begin travel by: Feb 19, 2024."

So I think I just misunderstood - It's 1 year from BOOKING, not 1 year from original date of travel. My bad. Seems like I can just cancel this one, then at some point in December make another booking, cancel that a couple *days later and extend it until i've got a good UA trip lined up. Awesome!

Last edited by Smiley90; Apr 1, 2023 at 4:11 pm
Old Apr 1, 2023, 4:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... So I think I just misunderstood - It's 1 year from BOOKING, not 1 year from original date of travel. My bad. Seems like I can just cancel this one, then at some point in December make another booking, ...
for travel starting before expiration, Feb 2024
... cancel that a couple years later ...
must cancel before travel starts, so cancel by Feb 2024, not a couple years later
...and extend it until i've got a good UA trip lined up. Awesome!
or until UA decides to stop this indefinite rollover.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
for travel starting before expiration, Feb 2024
must cancel before travel starts, so cancel by Feb 2024, not a couple years later
or until UA decides to stop this indefinite rollover.
I meant days, not years. Weird typo. Thanks!

We WERE going to use it up, but my partner can't leave the country right now for visa reasons, so it's a bit of a waste to just book an expensive domestic trip for no reason but "we need to use up this money". Next year will be much better.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Credits set to expire or issued on or before December 31, 2022 have had their book by or travel by date extended to December 31, 2023.

I know that's for a credit issued by UA from a fare purchased directly from UA. What about a UA credit issued by a travel agency? Will this be extended to the end of this year? Despite my ticket being bought from a TA, it was United Airlines that was the merchant that charged my credit card.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 12:43 pm

I booked a ticket before learning about Break from Business. Any reason to not cancel and rebook to get the discount? FFC will be useable as payment for BFB fare?
Old Apr 7, 2023, 9:28 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
I'm trying to make the a change to the return of a roundtrip ticket. (I'm relying on the rules for changing a return using historical fares, so canceling and starting over is not an option).

Online it doesn't let me pay the fare difference with a FFC. Is there a way around that that I'm missing?
Old Apr 7, 2023, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by SamOF
I'm trying to make the a change to the return of a roundtrip ticket. (I'm relying on the rules for changing a return using historical fares, so canceling and starting over is not an option).

Online it doesn't let me pay the fare difference with a FFC. Is there a way around that that I'm missing?
Credit needs to cover the full amount of the fare difference. Call in for them to use it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 10:53 pm

I have a future flight credit that expires end of 2023. If I booked something today and cancelled after 48 hours would they issue a new future flight credit with a new expiration date 1 year from cancellation or would they enforce the original expiration of end of 2023?
Old Apr 18, 2023, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by economyfly
I have a future flight credit that expires end of 2023. If I booked something today and cancelled after 48 hours would they issue a new future flight credit with a new expiration date 1 year from cancellation or would they enforce the original expiration of end of 2023?
Neither - theoretically, 1 year from booking. (So if you book today and cancel in 48 hours, valid for 1 year from today). No harm in trying?
economyfly likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 7:28 pm

Neither - theoretically, 1 year from booking. (So if you book today and cancel in 48 hours, valid for 1 year from today). No harm in trying?
I guess one can continuously buy and cancel FFC to reset the expiration for another year then.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by economyfly
I guess one can continuously buy and cancel FFC to reset the expiration for another year then.
Until UA changes the rules, in theory, yes.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
If I cancel my flight partially paid with ETC, any recent data points in how long they will be back to my account?
Old Apr 20, 2023, 8:07 pm

Until UA changes the rules, in theory, yes.
Would the same workaround apply for extending 1 year ETC? (1) book a refundable ticket with ETC (2) cancel it and the ETC is converted to FFC (3) book a refundable ticket with FFC before expiration and get it extended by 1 year (4) cancel and repeat step 3 until ready to actually use the credit
Anything I'm missing?
Old Apr 21, 2023, 4:49 am

Is it still the case that if a flight is booking using an ETC and then subsequently canceled (> 24 hours), the refund is issued in the form of an FFC, and thus now only available to the ticketed pax, and further restricted to a travel by (rather than book by) date?

And what about expiration date? If I have a 12/31/23 ETC that converts to an FFC due to a booking thats canceled, what is the new travel-by date of the FFC? Thanks
Old Apr 21, 2023, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slice
Is it still the case that if a flight is booking using an ETC and then subsequently canceled (> 24 hours), the refund is issued in the form of an FFC, and thus now only available to the ticketed pax, and further restricted to a travel by (rather than book by) date?
Yes.

Originally Posted by slice
And what about expiration date? If I have a 12/31/23 ETC that converts to an FFC due to a booking thats canceled, what is the new travel-by date of the FFC? Thanks
1 year from the ticketing date.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.