Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate(ETC) & Future Flight Credit(FFC)

Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The ability to extend FFCs and ETCs is a dynmaic situation and what work in the past is not working now
See the thread for most recent reports. Some paths do appear to exist but things are changing frequently.

* In mid-2021, UA started a process that unify ETCs/FFCs and expand their usability, jointly they are called "travel credits"
* There are still a few differences - transferability and expiration are different
* Conversion of FFCs to ETCs are no longer an option
* See this UA announcement (27 Sept 2021) for some insight

FFC -- Future flight Credit issued when you voluntarily cancel or change a non-refundable flight
ETC -- A credit issued generally for a service related issue, broken seat, a significant delayed flight due to UA issues, ....
Refunds due to significant schedule changes or cancellations are different, see Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund,New DOT ruling,UA processing refunds

United travel credits
We have two types of travel credits, and both can easily be used to shop for flights and amenities on our website or app. Get to know future flight credits and travel certificates.

How do I redeem my travel credits?
Shop for your flight as you normally would. Once you get to checkout, all unused travel credits that are connected to your MileagePlus account will automatically appear once you select Travel Credits as a payment option. All you have to do is select the checkbox next to the credit and it will automatically be applied to your reservation.

If you dont see one of your travel credits listed, or dont have a MileagePlus account, you can also look up your credit directly from checkout and apply it to your cart.
Can anyone use my credits?
Who can actually use a travel credit varies based on credit type.

Future flight credits
Normally, a future flight credit is non-transferrable and therefore must be used by the same traveler it was issued to. However, all future flight credits that were issued for tickets purchased on or before August 31, 2021, can now be used to book travel for anyone, including yourself, friends, or family. If you have trouble using a future flight credit, please contact Reservations at 1-800-864-8331.
Travel certificates
These credits can be used by anyone.
What can I use my travel credits?
  1. All travel credits can be used to buy tickets on United, United Express and partner-operated flights. You can also apply travel credits toward non-ticket items, like Economy Plus seating, Basic Economy seat assignments and preferred seating. (and pre-paid checked bags? never implemented)

To use travel credits with PlusPoints, youll need to book your ticket using your travel credit and then request a PlusPoints upgrade.
Do travel credits expire?
All travel credits do expire, but the expirations work differently for the two types of credits.

Future flight credits
Future flight credits have a travel by date as their expiration. This means the itinerary you apply a future flight credit toward must begin travel before the expiration date. In most cases, this date is one year after your original ticket was issued.

Please note, future flight credits issued on or before December 31, 2022, have had their travel by date extended to December 31, 2023.

Travel certificates
Travel certificates have a book by date as their expiration. Meaning, you must book your flight using this credit before the expiration date. In most cases, these credits expire up to one year after the date they were issued.

Please note, travel certificates set to expire on or before December 31, 2022, or issued before December 31, 2022, have had their book by date extended to December 31, 2023.
Where do I find my travel credit info?
MileagePlus members can find a summary of their travel credits in their account. If you arent a member or cant find your credit in your account, you can also use the lookup forms provided on this page to find your travel credit information, including the value and expiration date.
Can I use multiple credit info?
Yes, you can use multiple credits of the same type in a single purchase. Future flight credits and travel certificates cannot be combined. {Although in Sept 2021 UA hinted this was coming}
What if I have a travel credit issues for a flight originally booked through a travel agent?
You can still use your credit, but youll need to do it through the travel agency you used to book the original flight.
(ETC) Terms and conditions
Certificate terms and conditions
  1. Travel certificates are redeemable toward transportation on any flight operated by United Airlines, Inc., United Express, and partner airlines sold on United digital channels.
  2. You may redeem or view travel certificate details at united.com by clicking on Deals & Offers, Promotional certificates, and entering the promotion code and PIN in the offer code box. You can also call United at 800-UNITED-1 (800-864-8331). A fee may apply for redemption via telephone. You will be asked to enter the last name of the certificate recipient. Certificates may not be redeemed through a travel agency.
  3. The promotion code and PIN must be presented at time of ticket purchase and expire 24 months from original date of issue, unless otherwise noted.
  4. Travel certificates have no cash value.
  5. Travel certificates will not be honored in conjunction with prepaid tickets, fee-waived tickets, MileagePlus awards, tour packages or other service charges. You must pay for outstanding fees and ancillary purchases with a credit or debit card at time of purchase.
  6. If the face amount of a travel certificate exceeds the cost of the ticket for which it is surrendered, any residual amount will be applied to the same PIN for use toward another ticket until either the original issued amount is depleted, or the expiration date has been reached, whichever comes first.
  7. Travel certificates are not transferable and may not be sold, traded or bartered. However, the original recipient of a certificate may arrange travel for another person if done without selling or bartering the certificate. Any sale or barter of a certificate, or any offer to sell or enter into such a transaction, shall render a certificate null and void such that the certificate shall no longer be redeemable by any person, including the original recipient.
  8. Positive identification may be required when using a certificate toward the purchase of a ticket. United is not liable for loss, theft or unintended use of a certificate by a person other than the original recipient.
  9. United's Contract of Carriage applies to all travel on United Airlines and United Express.
Can I convert a FFC to ETC? Can I get an ETC instead of FFC?
You can not longer do either.
Occasionally, if there is an problem using your FFC, the agent will convert it to an ETC for immediate use. These are rare and at the agent;s discretion. Calling to ask converting an FFC to ETC for use by another traveler will likely not work -as the FFC was never intended for transfer
What if I only use part of the credit, what happens to the rest?
For both FFCs/ETCs the remainder of the credit is available for future use
But these credits must be fully used before the use of a credit card payment
Can FFCs or ETCs be used to pay award fees?
No
What happens if I cancel a ticket purchased with FFC or ETC in 24 hours?
Payment goes back to original form of payment, Note this can take some time -- a week or more, especially for the ETC.
What happens if I cancel a ticket purchased with FFC or ETC after 24 hours?
This becomes a new FFC (including the ETC value). This generally happens immediately.
ETC
ETCs can be used for internet access, E+, subscriptions, upgrades, bag fees

Comparison of TB, ETCs, & FFCs
  • They all have different pluses and minuses
  • TB can only be used on an all UA operated itin but can be used to book anyone. Deposited TB funds have up to 5 year expiration (special promos are funds are much shorter) and need to be used for a booking before expiration but travel can be later (up to 11 months)
  • ETCs can be used for any itin bookable by United and can be used by any traveler, Trips funded by ETC need to be booked by expiration but travel can be later (up to 11 months)
  • FFCs can be use for any itin bookable by United but can only be used by the named traveler, Trips funded by ETC need to be started before expiration
  • Only one of these can be used in a single booking, but multiple ETCs or Multiple FFCs can be used for a single booking
  • TB and ETCs can be converted to FFCs. FFCs can not (in general) be converted to ETCs (but occasionally will be if a legitimate FFCs usage fails).
  • FFCs or ETCs can not be deposited in TB.
Not working as-of April 2024.
Further changes in May 2024. See thread
However, you can follow the below to book a flight, then change it to a different flight after the expiration date.
Originally Posted by wiki
If you want to extend an FFC, the most reliable process is:

Purchasie a new non-refundable (non-BE) itin, for same passengers as the FFC. Do not use change of flight, start a new booking without using the FFC.
When you get to the payment page, then use the FFC as a form of payment
Wait a bit over 24 hours and then cancel.
You then will receive, essentially instantaneous, a new FFC with an expiration 1 year from the booking date.
The new FFC must be used for a trip starting before the new expiration
Deviations may not be successful
This will not work for FFC from a partial flown trip.

This works for extending ETC also except the ETC with be converted to a FFC and locked to the named passenger.

There is no guarantee this process will work in the future

Other useful threads
Extending a Credit/Travel/ETC Voucher by booking a refundable fare?

Now See All Your Electronic Travel Credit(s) (ETCs) on Your United.com Account!
Future Flight Credits (FFC) Available on My Trips page?
Issues with UA's online rebooking: Missing flights, higher prices, changed cabin, ..
Is UA enforcing No Residual Value restriction found in some fare rules?

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): General Q&A, ... now 2 year life ...Closed
UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights ...Closed
How to get residual value ("future flight credit") from non-refundable flight ...Closed

Archive:
Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Future Flight Credit {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate(ETC) & Future Flight Credit(FFC)

Old May 11, 2024, 5:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
Can someone please tell me what will happen in this situation? If I use an FFC and my Visa to purchase a fare and I cancel in less than 24 hours, would I get a new FFC with the extra value or I'll get a refund with the partial payment going back to my Visa and getting the original FFC back?
Agree the latter is most likely and what has traditionally been happen but things have been a bit unpredictable recent. Suggest reading the last few weeks of the thread to get a better idea.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old May 11, 2024, 6:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The other approach would have been to make a brand-new booking and apply the FFC as a form of payment. That should have gone new dates.
This no longer makes a difference. The FFC generated when new itin is cancelled will still be the original FFC date.

That doesn't seem to be possible when using GF to search for flights. I can't apply an FFC to the fare. The payment page is telling me to start a new search and use the FFC as the basis.

====
Can someone please tell me what will happen in this situation? If I use an FFC and my Visa to purchase a fare and I cancel in less than 24 hours, would I get a new FFC with the extra value or I'll get a refund with the partial payment going back to my Visa and getting the original FFC back?
FFC amount will be refunded back as FFC (with original expiration date) and credit card amount goes back to credit card but it takes a couple of days for the FFC to show up. This type of transaction is handled manually.

Just did this very same thing a couple of days ago.

Originally Posted by Hanalei
I booked a trip on April 11, 2024 and used $8.62 future flight credit (from a trip I booked last year that I will take this month) that will expire Aug 4, 2024. The rest of over $1,000 was charged to my United Explorer card on April 11. Today, May 11, 2024 the price went down. I cancelled the flight booked in April and rebooked a the same flight for less money. I ended up getting approximately $90/person of future flight credits. My account shows the new flight credits will expire Aug 4, 2024 and this means I have to travel by this date.

I cannot believe this expiration just because of $8.62 credit. I called United and had an agent from overseas. She told me that they can only extend one month to Sep of this year. She said if I need longer extension I have to submit for help at www.united.com/customercare. After I hung up I found out that URL is only for compliments and complaints. The choices are refunds, and other issues but future flight credits is not one of them.

Does anyone have past experiences with similar situation? If I wait until Monday and get an agent in the US can they help at all?

Thanks for your help.
Too late now but what you should have done is to change flight instead of cancel/rebook. A change flight to a lower fare will result in a FFC with a new expiration date.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old May 11, 2024, 10:22 pm

Programs: Continental, UA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
ll depends on how you booked the first new flight and then the second.

Did you start with the FFC and do a change flight? in both cases because that would explain this behavior. Has the PNR id stayed the same throughout these changes? Did you use an agent to do the rebooking in eaither case?

The other approach would have been to make a brand-new booking and apply the FFC as a form of payment. That should have gone new dates.
I did a new booking for the exact flight # online. Once I got to the seating option I opened another tab and cancelled the original flight. This is about $1160 FFC. So when I checked out with new booking I used the $1160 FFC . New price is $973 and I still have $187 FFC. I looked in my wallet and that was when I found out the $187 will expire in Aug.

Originally Posted by seawolf
This no longer makes a difference. The FFC generated when new itin is cancelled will still be the original FFC date.

FFC amount will be refunded back as FFC (with original expiration date) and credit card amount goes back to credit card but it takes a couple of days for the FFC to show up. This type of transaction is handled manually.

Too late now but what you should have done is to change flight instead of cancel/rebook. A change flight to a lower fare will result in a FFC with a new expiration date.
i believe changing to the exact same flight wont show a decrease so I did a new booking, opened another session to cancel the first booking to get the FFC.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 11, 2024 at 11:24 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old May 11, 2024, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

If I make a new reservation with FFC and credit card and cancel after 24 hours, when will the new FFC appear? Will this be processed manually?
Old May 11, 2024, 11:46 pm
Original Member

If I make a new reservation with FFC and credit card and cancel after 24 hours, when will the new FFC appear? Will this be processed manually?
After 24 hours (or so), cancellation will result in a FFC being available immediately (higher amount than prior FFC) but it keeps the prior FFC expiration date.

i believe changing to the exact same flight won’t show a decrease so I did a new booking, opened another session to cancel the first booking to get the FFC.
You need to change to a different flight and then change back. Two step process.

For example, if you were on UA1234 at $200 and it is now $150,
  1. You have change to another flight other than the very flight you are on. It could be a different flight same day/same flight different date/different market altogether. Which interim flight to change to require a bit of a research prior to taking this step but aim for one with a fare between the old and new fare (between $150-$200). Picking an Interim flight outside this range results in you having to give UA more money. See notes below.
  2. You then change back to original UA1234 to get the $150 fare.
The interim flight you pick for Step 1 requires a bit of homework. If the interim flight is:
  • More than original fare (>$200), you need to pony up the extra cash with your credit card. Not Ideal. This new money will be trapped as an FFC when you complete Step 2; you'll get FFC totally more than the original $200 fare minus current $150 fare. Example, interim flight is $220. In Step 1, you add $20. In Step 2, you get a $70 ($220-$150) FFC with new date.
  • Equal to original fare, this is ideal as the FFC in Step 2 will be the $50.
  • Less then original fare but more than your flight's current fare - you end up with multiple FFCs with new expiration date. Example interim flight is $170. Step 1 will yield a $30 FFC with new expiration date and a $170 ticket. Step 2 will then kick out a $20 FFC with new expiration date. You end up with $50 total across the two FFCs.
  • Equal to new fare $150. This is ideal as the FFC generated in Step 1 is $50 with new expiration date and Step 2 is essentially an even exchange.
  • Less then the new fare (<$150) - Example interim fare is $125. Step 1 will generate a $75 FFC and a $125 ticket. When you do Step 2, you will need to add new money ($25 in this example) as UA doesn't appear to let you pay an add/collect with a FFC when changing flight.
SPN Lifer, Hanalei and lsquare like this.

Last edited by seawolf; May 12, 2024 at 12:11 am
Old May 11, 2024, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
That doesn't seem to be possible when using GF to search for flights. I can't apply an FFC to the fare. The payment page is telling me to start a new search and use the FFC as the basis.
Is there a reason you have to use GF, like a cheaper fare and/or ability to build an itinerary that isn't available on UA website?

FWIW there was period of time several weeks ago when I noticed that I couldn't use some FFCs as a form of payment on the website during the final payment step, but I could use them just fine if booking through the app.
Old May 12, 2024, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by econ
Is there a reason you have to use GF, like a cheaper fare and/or ability to build an itinerary that isn't available on UA website?

FWIW there was period of time several weeks ago when I noticed that I couldn't use some FFCs as a form of payment on the website during the final payment step, but I could use them just fine if booking through the app.
I generally prefer to use GF because the website is fast. It seems like UA cannot build a site that's as good as Google. Even the UA app feels slower than the GF website on my Pixel 8 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max. I don't want to fly UA for the sake of flying UA. I also want to know what the competitors are offering.
Old May 12, 2024, 6:38 am

You need to change to a different flight and then change back. Two step process.

For example, if you were on UA1234 at $200 and it is now $150,
  1. You have change to another flight other than the very flight you are on. It could be a different flight same day/same flight different date/different market altogether. Which interim flight to change to require a bit of a research prior to taking this step but aim for one with a fare between the old and new fare (between $150-$200). Picking an Interim flight outside this range results in you having to give UA more money. See notes below.
  2. You then change back to original UA1234 to get the $150 fare.
The interim flight you pick for Step 1 requires a bit of homework. If the interim flight is:
  • More than original fare (>$200), you need to pony up the extra cash with your credit card. Not Ideal. This new money will be trapped as an FFC when you complete Step 2; you'll get FFC totally more than the original $200 fare minus current $150 fare. Example, interim flight is $220. In Step 1, you add $20. In Step 2, you get a $70 ($220-$150) FFC with new date.
  • Equal to original fare, this is ideal as the FFC in Step 2 will be the $50.
  • Less then original fare but more than your flight's current fare - you end up with multiple FFCs with new expiration date. Example interim flight is $170. Step 1 will yield a $30 FFC with new expiration date and a $170 ticket. Step 2 will then kick out a $20 FFC with new expiration date. You end up with $50 total across the two FFCs.
  • Equal to new fare $150. This is ideal as the FFC generated in Step 1 is $50 with new expiration date and Step 2 is essentially an even exchange.
  • Less then the new fare (<$150) - Example interim fare is $125. Step 1 will generate a $75 FFC and a $125 ticket. When you do Step 2, you will need to add new money ($25 in this example) as UA doesn't appear to let you pay an add/collect with a FFC when changing flight.

Thanks. I am not a savvy traveler so please excuse the multiple questions.

I think you meant to tell me what you suggested is what I should have done yesterday, May 11. Now that I have a FFC of $187 that expires 8/4/2024 I don't know what to do.

I tried your method this morning with the flight booked yesterday by making a change but it didn't work. So April tickets were $1160, May 11 tickets were $972. FFC $187 expires 8/4/2024 (need longer expiration date). Changing a flight that is higher price than previous booking requires CC payment. FFC drop down is not available when I tried changing flight this morning.

Last edited by Hanalei; May 12, 2024 at 7:52 am
Old May 12, 2024, 9:04 am
Original Member

Thanks. I am not a savvy traveler so please excuse the multiple questions.

I think you meant to tell me what you suggested is what I should have done yesterday, May 11. Now that I have a FFC of $187 that expires 8/4/2024 I don't know what to do.

I tried your method this morning with the flight booked yesterday by making a change but it didn't work. So April tickets were $1160, May 11 tickets were $972. FFC $187 expires 8/4/2024 (need longer expiration date). Changing a flight that is higher price than previous booking requires CC payment. FFC drop down is not available when I tried changing flight this morning.
You started with April flights $1160 and then you directly changed it to flights (same PNR) costing $972 and you got a FFC expiring Aug 4 (initial expiration date)?

If so then UA might have closed the loophole as well. Two months ago the FFC would have had an updated date.

This was working a couple of months ago:
  • FFC expires July 2024
  • Booked new itinerary/new PNR using FFC in April 2024
  • Change flight within PNR - If lower fare, FFC for the difference is PNR creation date + 1 year (April 2025).
  • Cancel PNR - FFC for the entire amount expires with oldest FFC expiration date (July 2024).
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by seawolf; May 12, 2024 at 9:35 am
Old May 12, 2024, 9:36 am

You started with April flights $1160 and then you directly changed it to flights (same PNR) costing $972 and you got a FFC expiring Aug 4 (initial expiration date)?

if so then UA might have closed the loophole as well. Two months ago the FFC would have had an updated date.
No. I cancelled and rebooked.

The flight booked in Apr had $8.62 FFC from last year that expires 8/4/24 and approx $1160 CC charges.

i cancelled and rebooked on May 11 with new PNR and ended up with $187 FFC that will expire 8/4/24 just because of the previous $8.62 FFC.
Old May 12, 2024, 11:23 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;

This was working a couple of months ago:
  • FFC expires July 2024
  • Booked new itinerary/new PNR using FFC in April 2024
  • Change flight within PNR - If lower fare, FFC for the difference is PNR creation date + 1 year (April 2025).
  • Cancel PNR - FFC for the entire amount expires with oldest FFC expiration date (July 2024).
Confirming this above steps still work properly.

I tried it on May 10 for a booking made on May 6. It is a non-refundable fare.
Lower fare resulted in an FFC with an expire date of May 6, 2025.

I confirmed the new FFC's expire date with dummy bookings.
seawolf, Hanalei and chavala like this.
Old May 12, 2024, 12:34 pm
Original Member

No. I cancelled and rebooked.

The flight booked in Apr had $8.62 FFC from last year that expires 8/4/24 and approx $1160 CC charges.

i cancelled and rebooked on May 11 with new PNR and ended up with $187 FFC that will expire 8/4/24 just because of the previous $8.62 FFC.
I see. That's what I was referring to back in post 920.

Not that it helps you anymore but the current "best practice" to take advantage of the cheaper fare involving a FFC expiring soon is to do a 2-step flight change with the booked PNR (do not cancel/rebook). The fare difference will be kicked out as a new FFC with a updated expiration date (current PNR's booking date + 1 year).

An outright cancel of the PNR will result in the entire ticket value as a FFC with the oldest expiration date.

What you can do with the $187 FFC is to book a reservation for a flight prior to Aug 4, 2024 and then change flight to the future. Currently, change flight functionality allows you to change flights to dates after the FFC expiration date.

So let's say you want to do a trip in October 2024, you can book a Aug 1 flight with the $187 FFC and then immediately do a flight change to October 2024. That still works. Whatever you do, do not cancel. If you cancel the FFC, it will still expire Aug 2 2024.
Hanalei and 1KChinito like this.
Old May 12, 2024, 8:51 pm

I see. That's what I was referring to back in post 920.

Not that it helps you anymore but the current "best practice" to take advantage of the cheaper fare involving a FFC expiring soon is to do a 2-step flight change with the booked PNR (do not cancel/rebook). The fare difference will be kicked out as a new FFC with a updated expiration date (current PNR's booking date + 1 year).

An outright cancel of the PNR will result in the entire ticket value as a FFC with the oldest expiration date.

What you can do with the $187 FFC is to book a reservation for a flight prior to Aug 4, 2024 and then change flight to the future. Currently, change flight functionality allows you to change flights to dates after the FFC expiration date.

So let's say you want to do a trip in October 2024, you can book a Aug 1 flight with the $187 FFC and then immediately do a flight change to October 2024. That still works. Whatever you do, do not cancel. If you cancel the FFC, it will still expire Aug 2 2024.
Today, May 12, I booked a new flight to a close-by destination for $312 total for 2 people, flight date 5/30/24. I could not get RT worth $187 for 2 people. Now I wonder if one-way tickets would still work. I used $187 FFC and charged $125 to CC. Waited for e-ticket confirmation. Then I changed the flight to a future date of April 2025 to another destination that I want to go. The difference between $312 and new flight is at least another $200 to $300. I had to pay more money and I can't remember but I think there was no FFC drop down due to price being higher than $312. I did not go through with changing the flight.

I then cancelled the new PNR with $312 because I just booked it thinking I have 24 hour to cancel. The worst scenario is I have $187 FFC with old date of 8/4/24 again. But the system said a billing agent has to process my refund manually. I called UA and got Reservation desk in the Philippines. Agent told me she processed refund for $312. However it would take a few days to go back to original CC because they have to be sure today's charges went through. I received email of the cancellation.

"Your reservation, XXXXXX, was canceled and we have received your request for a refund. If you are requesting a credit card refund, please allow seven business days for processing. If your credit card refund is not posted within one billing cycle, please contact your credit card company. For all other forms of payment, including cash refunds, please allow 20 business days for processing."

My wallet does not show any FFC. I'll report back when I receive refund.

I assume this happened because I cancelled within 24 hours, therefore, a refund. And the flight credit of $187 was included in the purchase price, hence the full amount would be refunded.

Cross my fingers.
Old May 12, 2024, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

]I assume this happened because I cancelled within 24 hours, therefore, a refund.
Correct.
And the flight credit of $187 was included in the purchase price, hence the full amount would be refunded.
Airlines are not stupid. The nonrefundable part remains nonrefundable, otherwise thered be no such thing as a nonrefundable fare becasue everyone would do what you just described.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 13, 2024, 6:35 am
Original Member

Today, May 12, I booked a new flight to a close-by destination for $312 total for 2 people, flight date 5/30/24. I could not get RT worth $187 for 2 people. Now I wonder if one-way tickets would still work. I used $187 FFC and charged $125 to CC. Waited for e-ticket confirmation. Then I changed the flight to a future date of April 2025 to another destination that I want to go. The difference between $312 and new flight is at least another $200 to $300. I had to pay more money and I can't remember but I think there was no FFC drop down due to price being higher than $312. I did not go through with changing the flight.

I then cancelled the new PNR with $312 because I just booked it thinking I have 24 hour to cancel. The worst scenario is I have $187 FFC with old date of 8/4/24 again. But the system said a billing agent has to process my refund manually. I called UA and got Reservation desk in the Philippines. Agent told me she processed refund for $312. However it would take a few days to go back to original CC because they have to be sure today's charges went through. I received email of the cancellation.

"Your reservation, XXXXXX, was canceled and we have received your request for a refund. If you are requesting a credit card refund, please allow seven business days for processing. If your credit card refund is not posted within one billing cycle, please contact your credit card company. For all other forms of payment, including cash refunds, please allow 20 business days for processing."

My wallet does not show any FFC. I'll report back when I receive refund.

I assume this happened because I cancelled within 24 hours, therefore, a refund. And the flight credit of $187 was included in the purchase price, hence the full amount would be refunded.

Cross my fingers.
I also tried that recently (cancelled within 24 hours) involving a FFC and add/collect. After a couple of days they sent an email that it was not refund eligible.

Good luck.
Hanalei likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.