Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate(ETC) & Future Flight Credit(FFC)

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate(ETC) & Future Flight Credit(FFC)

Old Feb 2, 2023, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by slickvik
If you book one reservation for 2 people, will that generate 1 or 2 future flight credits?
FFCs are per person. Canceling a 2-person PNR will give you credits for each person, and each original pax can only use their own credit.

that said, there were some reporting bugs where multiple pax PNRs being canceled had the full amount credited to only one of the travelers. Not sure if that has been fixed.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 1:02 pm

How does United handle FFCs in different currencies? If I cancel a ticket for FFC that was priced in Euros, could I use it on a USD priced itinerary?
Old Feb 7, 2023, 1:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by emcampbe
FFCs are per person. Canceling a 2-person PNR will give you credits for each person, and each original pax can only use their own credit.

that said, there were some reporting bugs where multiple pax PNRs being canceled had the full amount credited to only one of the travelers. Not sure if that has been fixed.
I ended up just changing the flight, which was my original intention anyway. Had to burn up travelbank but wanted to fly a partner for timing.
Old Feb 7, 2023, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
FFC still shows in wallet after use

Hey all, I have an interesting situation where an FFC that I've already used on a ticketed reservation still shows as available and can be applied to the balance of dummy bookings. Is this expected?

For some context, I originally had booked IAD-BRU-BCN-ZRH-IAD on UA (TATL), SN, and LX, all in Y. I then re-booked myself onto the same itinerary, but upfared from Y to Prem Plus on the IAD-BRU leg and paid the difference (surprisingly it was only $40). The FFC in question was generated when I canceled the original reservation, but I applied it to the new reservation and therefore only paid the price difference out of pocket. This new reservation has since been ticketed, and I can pull it up on the SN and LX websites and see a confirmed status there as well.

Not sure if this FFC will disappear once I travel on the re-booked reservation, or if it'll throw errors if its used. For now I plan to sit on it until after I fly my itinerary in March, but I'm curious if others have had this experience or if this is an expected quirk in United IT.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 2:02 am

Mine ticket is full refundable, I send form through United website ask refund to ETC (credit card rebate promo so have to go this way), rep reply email said I need call in first cancl all segments, just wondering if this is correct info?
Old Feb 10, 2023, 10:16 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ecgz88
Mine ticket is full refundable, I send form through United website ask refund to ETC (credit card rebate promo so have to go this way), rep reply email said I need call in first cancl all segments, just wondering if this is correct info?
UA is required by "law" to return the funds from a fully refundable ticket to the original form of purchase, ETC is not an option.

If you received an airline/tavel credit from your credit card, the refund will not reverse that.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
UA is required by "law" to return the funds from a fully refundable ticket to the original form of purchase, ETC is not an option.

If you received an airline/tavel credit from your credit card, the refund will not reverse that.
I have done it full refundable to ETC

it's not an airline credit, it's a Canada AMEX UA $500-$250 Amex offer, AMEX will reverse the $250 credit.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 12:41 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I have done it full refundable to ETC...
Recently? UA stopped doing flight credits as ETCs about 18 months ago.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Recently? UA stopped doing flight credits as ETCs about 18 months ago.
I did two times last year
1. refund to FFC, then chat ask change to ETC
2. Full refundable ticket, fill the form ask not refund to credit card and refund to ETC.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 9:49 am

I did two times last year
1. refund to FFC, then chat ask change to ETC
2. Full refundable ticket, fill the form ask not refund to credit card and refund to ETC.
Not supposed to be done. Anything fully refundable, including 24 hour flexible booking window, is supposed to be sent back to OFOP only and not converted to an ETC or used for a different named traveller. What your describing is a commonly used method of fraud that airlines have to fight against and as I understand it UA has recently been putting a renewed interest in addressing with their agents specifically to not do this, in addition to a number of other things which can be used to perpetuate fraud.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Not supposed to be done. Anything fully refundable, including 24 hour flexible booking window, is supposed to be sent back to OFOP only and not converted to an ETC or used for a different named traveller. What your describing is a commonly used method of fraud that airlines have to fight against and as I understand it UA has recently been putting a renewed interest in addressing with their agents specifically to not do this, in addition to a number of other things which can be used to perpetuate fraud.
Out of curiosity, what is the fraud concern? The most obvious I can imagine is stealing someone's ticket value if you can get a hold of the PNR (i.e. cancel and then convert to ETC), but I'm not aware of that a common problem. Is it?
Old Feb 14, 2023, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Out of curiosity, what is the fraud concern? The most obvious I can imagine is stealing someone's ticket value if you can get a hold of the PNR (i.e. cancel and then convert to ETC), but I'm not aware of that a common problem. Is it?
Without getting too much into fraud mitigation procedures or methods of perpetuating fraud - you're thinking about it from the wrong perspective of a legitimate purchase being stolen away from getting ahold of the PNR/last name. Think about it in terms of stolen credit cards and chargebacks, and/or the different types of fraud checks the airline might be doing depending on your form of payment. And while every CC transaction initially can be easily traced to the ticket/item it was issued against via the document number submitted with that charge, that quickly becomes more complicated and requires someone to manually trace it once you begin moving money around internally.

https://www.ravelin.com/blog/fightin...rline-industry
https://amadeus.com/documents/en/tra...r-airlines.pdf
https://www.accertify.com/industries/travel/
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Without getting too much into fraud mitigation procedures or methods of perpetuating fraud - you're thinking about it from the wrong perspective of a legitimate purchase being stolen away from getting ahold of the PNR/last name. Think about it in terms of stolen credit cards and chargebacks, and/or the different types of fraud checks the airline might be doing depending on your form of payment. And while every CC transaction initially can be easily traced to the ticket/item it was issued against via the document number submitted with that charge, that quickly becomes more complicated and requires someone to manually trace it once you begin moving money around internally.

https://www.ravelin.com/blog/fightin...rline-industry
https://amadeus.com/documents/en/tra...r-airlines.pdf
https://www.accertify.com/industries/travel/
Thanks. Have to do a bit more imagining regarding how that works, but I suppose it makes sense as a concern.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 12:42 am

ok,never thought about the fraud thing, just called United CSR don't know how to convert CAD to USD ETC, and I don't know why email rep ask me to call in to cancel all open segments? what's that mean cancel all open segments?

Anyway I just ask for full refund to save the hassle, next year I will just not book the full refundable, after 24 hours refund to FFC then ask United change to ETC...

Old Feb 15, 2023, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ok,never thought about the fraud thing, just called United CSR don't know how to convert CAD to USD ETC, and I don't know why email rep ask me to call in to cancel all open segments? what's that mean cancel all open segments?
Canceling all open segments just means to cancel the flights that you have on the current itinerary.

Anyway I just ask for full refund to save the hassle, next year I will just not book the full refundable, after 24 hours refund to FFC then ask United change to ETC...
Converting FFC to ETC is, likewise, contrary to policy.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.