Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate(ETC) & Future Flight Credit(FFC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hkcj
* In mid-2021, UA started a process that unify ETCs/FFCs and expand their usability, jointly they are called "travel credits"
* There are still a few differences - transferability and expiration are different
* Conversion of FFCs to ETCs are no longer an option
* See this UA announcement (27 Sept 2021) for some insight

FFC -- Future flight Credit issued when you voluntarily cancel or change a non-refundable flight
ETC -- A credit issued generally for a service related issue, broken seat, a significant delayed flight due to UA issues, ....
Refunds due to significant schedule changes or cancellations are different, see Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund,New DOT ruling,UA processing refunds

United travel credits
We have two types of travel credits, and both can easily be used to shop for flights and amenities on our website or app. Get to know future flight credits and travel certificates.

How do I redeem my travel credits?
Shop for your flight as you normally would. Once you get to checkout, all unused travel credits that are connected to your MileagePlus account will automatically appear once you select “Travel Credits” as a payment option. All you have to do is select the checkbox next to the credit and it will automatically be applied to your reservation.

If you don’t see one of your travel credits listed, or don’t have a MileagePlus account, you can also look up your credit directly from checkout and apply it to your cart.
Can anyone use my credits?
Who can actually use a travel credit varies based on credit type.

Future flight credits
Normally, a future flight credit is non-transferrable and therefore must be used by the same traveler it was issued to. However, all future flight credits that were issued for tickets purchased on or before August 31, 2021, can now be used to book travel for anyone, including yourself, friends, or family. If you have trouble using a future flight credit, please contact Reservations at 1-800-864-8331.
Travel certificates
These credits can be used by anyone.
What can I use my travel credits?
  1. All travel credits can be used to buy tickets on United, United Express and partner-operated flights. You can also apply travel credits toward non-ticket items, like Economy Plus® seating, Basic Economy seat assignments and preferred seating. (and pre-paid checked bags? never implemented)

To use travel credits with PlusPoints, you’ll need to book your ticket using your travel credit and then request a PlusPoints upgrade.
Do travel credits expire?
All travel credits do expire, but the expirations work differently for the two types of credits.

Future flight credits
Future flight credits have a “travel by” date as their expiration. This means the itinerary you apply a future flight credit toward must begin travel before the expiration date. In most cases, this date is one year after your original ticket was issued.

Please note, future flight credits issued on or before December 31, 2022, have had their “travel by” date extended to December 31, 2023.

Travel certificates
Travel certificates have a “book by” date as their expiration. Meaning, you must book your flight using this credit before the expiration date. In most cases, these credits expire up to one year after the date they were issued.

Please note, travel certificates set to expire on or before December 31, 2022, or issued before December 31, 2022, have had their “book by” date extended to December 31, 2023.
Where do I find my travel credit info?
MileagePlus members can find a summary of their travel credits in their account. If you aren’t a member or can’t find your credit in your account, you can also use the lookup forms provided on this page to find your travel credit information, including the value and expiration date.
Can I use multiple credit info?
Yes, you can use multiple credits of the same type in a single purchase. Future flight credits and travel certificates cannot be combined. {Although in Sept 2021 UA hinted this was coming}
What if I have a travel credit issues for a flight originally booked through a travel agent?
You can still use your credit, but you’ll need to do it through the travel agency you used to book the original flight.
(ETC) Terms and conditions
Certificate terms and conditions
  1. Travel certificates are redeemable toward transportation on any flight operated by United Airlines, Inc., United Express, and partner airlines sold on United digital channels.
  2. You may redeem or view travel certificate details at united.com by clicking on Deals & Offers, Promotional certificates, and entering the promotion code and PIN in the offer code box. You can also call United at 800-UNITED-1 (800-864-8331). A fee may apply for redemption via telephone. You will be asked to enter the last name of the certificate recipient. Certificates may not be redeemed through a travel agency.
  3. The promotion code and PIN must be presented at time of ticket purchase and expire 24 months from original date of issue, unless otherwise noted.
  4. Travel certificates have no cash value.
  5. Travel certificates will not be honored in conjunction with prepaid tickets, fee-waived tickets, MileagePlus awards, tour packages or other service charges. You must pay for outstanding fees and ancillary purchases with a credit or debit card at time of purchase.
  6. If the face amount of a travel certificate exceeds the cost of the ticket for which it is surrendered, any residual amount will be applied to the same PIN for use toward another ticket until either the original issued amount is depleted, or the expiration date has been reached, whichever comes first.
  7. Travel certificates are not transferable and may not be sold, traded or bartered. However, the original recipient of a certificate may arrange travel for another person if done without selling or bartering the certificate. Any sale or barter of a certificate, or any offer to sell or enter into such a transaction, shall render a certificate null and void such that the certificate shall no longer be redeemable by any person, including the original recipient.
  8. Positive identification may be required when using a certificate toward the purchase of a ticket. United is not liable for loss, theft or unintended use of a certificate by a person other than the original recipient.
  9. United's Contract of Carriage applies to all travel on United Airlines and United Express.
Can I convert a FFC to ETC? Can I get an ETC instead of FFC?
You can not longer do either.
Occasionally, if there is an problem using your FFC, the agent will convert it to an ETC for immediate use. These are rare and at the agent;s discretion. Calling to ask converting an FFC to ETC for use by another traveler will likely not work -as the FFC was never intended for transfer
What if I only use part of the credit, what happens to the rest?
For both FFCs/ETCs the remainder of the credit is available for future use
But these credits must be fully used before the use of a credit card payment
Can FFCs or ETCs be used to pay award fees?
No
What happens if I cancel a ticket purchased with FFC or ETC in 24 hours?
Payment goes back to original form of payment, Note this can take some time -- a week or more, especially for the ETC.
What happens if I cancel a ticket purchased with FFC or ETC after 24 hours?
This becomes a new FFC (including the ETC value). This generally happens immediately.
ETC
ETCs can be used for internet access, E+, subscriptions, upgrades, bag fees

Comparison of TB, ETCs, & FFCs
  • They all have different pluses and minuses
  • TB can only be used on an all UA operated itin but can be used to book anyone. Deposited TB funds have up to 5 year expiration (special promos are funds are much shorter) and need to be used for a booking before expiration but travel can be later (up to 11 months)
  • ETCs can be used for any itin bookable by United and can be used by any traveler, Trips funded by ETC need to be booked by expiration but travel can be later (up to 11 months)
  • FFCs can be use for any itin bookable by United but can only be used by the named traveler, Trips funded by ETC need to be started before expiration
  • Only one of these can be used in a single booking, but multiple ETCs or Multiple FFCs can be used for a single booking
  • TB and ETCs can be converted to FFCs. FFCs can not (in general) be converted to ETCs (but occasionally will be if a legitimate FFCs usage fails).
  • FFCs or ETCs can not be deposited in TB.
Not working as-of April 2024. However, you can follow the below to book a flight, then change it to a different flight after the expiration date.
Originally Posted by wiki
If you want to extend an FFC, the most reliable process is:

Purchasie a new non-refundable (non-BE) itin, for same passengers as the FFC. Do not use change of flight, start a new booking without using the FFC.
When you get to the payment page, then use the FFC as a form of payment
Wait a bit over 24 hours and then cancel.
You then will receive, essentially instantaneous, a new FFC with an expiration 1 year from the booking date.
The new FFC must be used for a trip starting before the new expiration
Deviations may not be successful
This will not work for FFC from a partial flown trip.

This works for extending ETC also except the ETC with be converted to a FFC and locked to the named passenger.

There is no guarantee this process will work in the future
Other useful threads
Extending a Credit/Travel/ETC Voucher by booking a refundable fare?

Now See All Your Electronic Travel Credit(s) (ETCs) on Your United.com Account!
Future Flight Credits (FFC) Available on My Trips page?
Issues with UA's online rebooking: Missing flights, higher prices, changed cabin, ..
Is UA enforcing No Residual Value restriction found in some fare rules?

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): General Q&A, ... now 2 year life ...Closed
UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights ...Closed
How to get residual value ("future flight credit") from non-refundable flight ...Closed

Archive:
Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Future Flight Credit {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate(ETC) & Future Flight Credit(FFC)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2023, 3:09 pm

Quick update. I called the reservations number and they concurred that their system shows the certificates expired in 2019 and 2021 and that they have no way to extend them in their system. She did tell me that the two currently in my account had just been extended to March, 2024 which is what I requested in my complaint if they weren't going to be able to resolve my issue before the 31st...so some progress at least. I guess I'll wait a few more days to see if they respond further with any news. Thanks again.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 3:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ecgz88
Newbie to this . when you say "It does need to be from a local airport as you plan to cancel.", my home airport is YVR, so I can't cancel LAX-DEN ticket after 24 hours?
My bad, dropped a not
""It does NOT need to be from a local airport as you plan to cancel.",
corrected the original post
Old Dec 23, 2023, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

A short oneway booked far out is you best chance to find $75-ish tickets. Use the UA or google map searches. It does not need to be from a local airport as you plan to cancel.
Cheapest possible flight (How do I redeem this flight credit?)
Last night I tried twice using $80 ETC booked $79 or $81 (pay extra $1 by CC)basic economy and cancel after few hours, both still came back ETC expire 12/31/2023, any other method will you suggest?

Thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2023, 10:00 am

Programs: LH FTL, AY+ Gold, BAEC Silver, AF FB
Tried to make a new booking using my travel credit - just for the sake of cancelling it again in two days to extend it by a year. At the payment page, when selecting travel credit, I can pull it up through the search, but then it says I can't use my travel credit for this booking.... the link that is offered as an alternative leads me to my travel credit from where I can start a new booking. But I guess that is the pathway that won't help me when trying to extend the travel credit. Any advice?
Old Dec 23, 2023, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AxelJF
Tried to make a new booking using my travel credit - just for the sake of cancelling it again in two days to extend it by a year. At the payment page, when selecting travel credit, I can pull it up through the search, but then it says I can't use my travel credit for this booking.... the link that is offered as an alternative leads me to my travel credit from where I can start a new booking. But I guess that is the pathway that won't help me when trying to extend the travel credit. Any advice?
Is this a partially-used ticket?
Old Dec 23, 2023, 10:05 am

Programs: LH FTL, AY+ Gold, BAEC Silver, AF FB
Nope. Cancelled before first flight. Back in 2021.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope. Cancelled before first flight. Back in 2021.
OK. I've had that happen once or twice. Yes, booking via the path it's suggesting is unlikely to help. However, if it's going to expire unused anyway, it's probably worth a try in the hopes that you might get the more useful kind of FFC if you cancel, even if the expiration date doesn't change. Then, you could go through the whole rigamarole again. Unfortunately, I don't see much of an option to improve the situation by calling UA, because I don't think the extended expiration is really an intentional feature.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 10:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ecgz88
Last night I tried twice using $80 ETC booked $79 or $81 (pay extra $1 by CC)basic economy and cancel after few hours, both still came back ETC expire 12/31/2023, any other method will you suggest?

Thanks!
Canceling within 24 hours means refund to original payment method, in reality many times it means voiding the purchase. Sometimes it will work (as it did for you earlier) but it is not the recommended approach although it did maintain the ETC credit. Canceling ETC purchase in side 24 hours is an unreliable approach for extending credit -- not sure how to predict when it will work or not.

To extend the credit, do not purchase BE, purchase non-refundable and wait 24+hours, 36-48 is better. However this will be FFC.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 23, 2023 at 10:35 am Reason: -- not sure how to predict when it will work or not.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Canceling within 24 hours means refund to original payment method, in reality many times it means voiding the purchase. Sometimes it will work (as it did for you earlier) but it is not the recommended approach although it did maintain the ETC credit. Canceling ETC purchase in side 24 hours is an unreliable approach for extending credit -- not sure how to predict when it will work or not.

To extend the credit, do not purchase BE, purchase non-refundable and wait 24+hours, 36-48 is better. However this will be FFC.
Excellent advice.

I have a FFC $1,189 expiring on 12/31/2023.

Last week, I booked an one-way non-refundable 12/28/2023 SFO-HKG ticket for $1,191. So I paid $2 after the credit.

Waited 48 hours and cancel. Viola, it produced a new FFC $1,191 expiring 12/21/2024.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, wpcoe and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 23, 2023, 12:17 pm

Travel agency credit?
Old Dec 24, 2023, 1:46 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SAS Gold (butt in seat)
What if I book a refundable fare for eg 1$ less than the original Ecert? The lesser amount is forfeited, but I do get the (whole) ticket fare back as etc - cancelling after 24+ h?
Old Dec 24, 2023, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carotthat
What if I book a refundable fare for eg 1$ less than the original Ecert? The lesser amount is forfeited, but I do get the (whole) ticket fare back as etc - cancelling after 24+ h?
Maybe? There are reports both ways. It’s certainly not supposed to work, but it might. I’d say your chances are better if it’s $1 more than the ETC valu;e rather than $1 less, since if the ETC isn’t exhausted it would seem to be easier to put the value back onto it, but I’m not sure.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 8:20 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I booked a domestic US flight last week and just realized that I forgot to use my ETC that's expiring in March.

The Wiki says you can use ETC for upgrades so I was thinking to do that just to use it up because it would cover most of the fee, however I don't see the option to use an ETC as payment when trying to upgrade via the app. It only allows cc payment. Do I need to try via the website?

I also tried doing "change flight" and upfaring to First which is $10 more and I'd do it if I can use the ETC, but no dice, also cc payment only via the app.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by friedablass
I booked a domestic US flight last week and just realized that I forgot to use my ETC that's expiring in March.

The Wiki says you can use ETC for upgrades so I was thinking to do that just to use it up because it would cover most of the fee, however I don't see the option to use an ETC as payment when trying to upgrade via the app. It only allows cc payment. Do I need to try via the website?

I also tried doing "change flight" and upfaring to First which is $10 more and I'd do it if I can use the ETC, but no dice, also cc payment only via the app.
Have to call to have ETC used for ancillary outside initial booking window.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
. But if using the FFC as a form of payment, this generates a new PNR and on canceling a new FCC. So it is important to note the need to use the FFCs as purchase payments.
Used old FFC to buy non-refundable tix, waited 48 hours, cancelled and viola - new FFC with new expiration date. Worked like a charm, thanks!
SPN Lifer and Flying Machine like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.