Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate(ETC) & Future Flight Credit(FFC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hkcj
* In mid-2021, UA started a process that unify ETCs/FFCs and expand their usability, jointly they are called "travel credits"
* There are still a few differences - transferability and expiration are different
* Conversion of FFCs to ETCs are no longer an option
* See this UA announcement (27 Sept 2021) for some insight

FFC -- Future flight Credit issued when you voluntarily cancel or change a non-refundable flight
ETC -- A credit issued generally for a service related issue, broken seat, a significant delayed flight due to UA issues, ....
Refunds due to significant schedule changes or cancellations are different, see Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund,New DOT ruling,UA processing refunds

United travel credits
We have two types of travel credits, and both can easily be used to shop for flights and amenities on our website or app. Get to know future flight credits and travel certificates.

How do I redeem my travel credits?
Shop for your flight as you normally would. Once you get to checkout, all unused travel credits that are connected to your MileagePlus account will automatically appear once you select “Travel Credits” as a payment option. All you have to do is select the checkbox next to the credit and it will automatically be applied to your reservation.

If you don’t see one of your travel credits listed, or don’t have a MileagePlus account, you can also look up your credit directly from checkout and apply it to your cart.
Can anyone use my credits?
Who can actually use a travel credit varies based on credit type.

Future flight credits
Normally, a future flight credit is non-transferrable and therefore must be used by the same traveler it was issued to. However, all future flight credits that were issued for tickets purchased on or before August 31, 2021, can now be used to book travel for anyone, including yourself, friends, or family. If you have trouble using a future flight credit, please contact Reservations at 1-800-864-8331.
Travel certificates
These credits can be used by anyone.
What can I use my travel credits?
  1. All travel credits can be used to buy tickets on United, United Express and partner-operated flights. You can also apply travel credits toward non-ticket items, like Economy Plus® seating, Basic Economy seat assignments and preferred seating. (and pre-paid checked bags? never implemented)

To use travel credits with PlusPoints, you’ll need to book your ticket using your travel credit and then request a PlusPoints upgrade.
Do travel credits expire?
All travel credits do expire, but the expirations work differently for the two types of credits.

Future flight credits
Future flight credits have a “travel by” date as their expiration. This means the itinerary you apply a future flight credit toward must begin travel before the expiration date. In most cases, this date is one year after your original ticket was issued.

Please note, future flight credits issued on or before December 31, 2022, have had their “travel by” date extended to December 31, 2023.

Travel certificates
Travel certificates have a “book by” date as their expiration. Meaning, you must book your flight using this credit before the expiration date. In most cases, these credits expire up to one year after the date they were issued.

Please note, travel certificates set to expire on or before December 31, 2022, or issued before December 31, 2022, have had their “book by” date extended to December 31, 2023.
Where do I find my travel credit info?
MileagePlus members can find a summary of their travel credits in their account. If you aren’t a member or can’t find your credit in your account, you can also use the lookup forms provided on this page to find your travel credit information, including the value and expiration date.
Can I use multiple credit info?
Yes, you can use multiple credits of the same type in a single purchase. Future flight credits and travel certificates cannot be combined. {Although in Sept 2021 UA hinted this was coming}
What if I have a travel credit issues for a flight originally booked through a travel agent?
You can still use your credit, but you’ll need to do it through the travel agency you used to book the original flight.
(ETC) Terms and conditions
Certificate terms and conditions
  1. Travel certificates are redeemable toward transportation on any flight operated by United Airlines, Inc., United Express, and partner airlines sold on United digital channels.
  2. You may redeem or view travel certificate details at united.com by clicking on Deals & Offers, Promotional certificates, and entering the promotion code and PIN in the offer code box. You can also call United at 800-UNITED-1 (800-864-8331). A fee may apply for redemption via telephone. You will be asked to enter the last name of the certificate recipient. Certificates may not be redeemed through a travel agency.
  3. The promotion code and PIN must be presented at time of ticket purchase and expire 24 months from original date of issue, unless otherwise noted.
  4. Travel certificates have no cash value.
  5. Travel certificates will not be honored in conjunction with prepaid tickets, fee-waived tickets, MileagePlus awards, tour packages or other service charges. You must pay for outstanding fees and ancillary purchases with a credit or debit card at time of purchase.
  6. If the face amount of a travel certificate exceeds the cost of the ticket for which it is surrendered, any residual amount will be applied to the same PIN for use toward another ticket until either the original issued amount is depleted, or the expiration date has been reached, whichever comes first.
  7. Travel certificates are not transferable and may not be sold, traded or bartered. However, the original recipient of a certificate may arrange travel for another person if done without selling or bartering the certificate. Any sale or barter of a certificate, or any offer to sell or enter into such a transaction, shall render a certificate null and void such that the certificate shall no longer be redeemable by any person, including the original recipient.
  8. Positive identification may be required when using a certificate toward the purchase of a ticket. United is not liable for loss, theft or unintended use of a certificate by a person other than the original recipient.
  9. United's Contract of Carriage applies to all travel on United Airlines and United Express.
Can I convert a FFC to ETC? Can I get an ETC instead of FFC?
You can not longer do either.
Occasionally, if there is an problem using your FFC, the agent will convert it to an ETC for immediate use. These are rare and at the agent;s discretion. Calling to ask converting an FFC to ETC for use by another traveler will likely not work -as the FFC was never intended for transfer
What if I only use part of the credit, what happens to the rest?
For both FFCs/ETCs the remainder of the credit is available for future use
But these credits must be fully used before the use of a credit card payment
Can FFCs or ETCs be used to pay award fees?
No
What happens if I cancel a ticket purchased with FFC or ETC in 24 hours?
Payment goes back to original form of payment, Note this can take some time -- a week or more, especially for the ETC.
What happens if I cancel a ticket purchased with FFC or ETC after 24 hours?
This becomes a new FFC (including the ETC value). This generally happens immediately.
ETC
ETCs can be used for internet access, E+, subscriptions, upgrades, bag fees

Comparison of TB, ETCs, & FFCs
  • They all have different pluses and minuses
  • TB can only be used on an all UA operated itin but can be used to book anyone. Deposited TB funds have up to 5 year expiration (special promos are funds are much shorter) and need to be used for a booking before expiration but travel can be later (up to 11 months)
  • ETCs can be used for any itin bookable by United and can be used by any traveler, Trips funded by ETC need to be booked by expiration but travel can be later (up to 11 months)
  • FFCs can be use for any itin bookable by United but can only be used by the named traveler, Trips funded by ETC need to be started before expiration
  • Only one of these can be used in a single booking, but multiple ETCs or Multiple FFCs can be used for a single booking
  • TB and ETCs can be converted to FFCs. FFCs can not (in general) be converted to ETCs (but occasionally will be if a legitimate FFCs usage fails).
  • FFCs or ETCs can not be deposited in TB.
Not working as-of April 2024. However, you can follow the below to book a flight, then change it to a different flight after the expiration date.
Originally Posted by wiki
If you want to extend an FFC, the most reliable process is:

Purchasie a new non-refundable (non-BE) itin, for same passengers as the FFC. Do not use change of flight, start a new booking without using the FFC.
When you get to the payment page, then use the FFC as a form of payment
Wait a bit over 24 hours and then cancel.
You then will receive, essentially instantaneous, a new FFC with an expiration 1 year from the booking date.
The new FFC must be used for a trip starting before the new expiration
Deviations may not be successful
This will not work for FFC from a partial flown trip.

This works for extending ETC also except the ETC with be converted to a FFC and locked to the named passenger.

There is no guarantee this process will work in the future
Other useful threads
Extending a Credit/Travel/ETC Voucher by booking a refundable fare?

Now See All Your Electronic Travel Credit(s) (ETCs) on Your United.com Account!
Future Flight Credits (FFC) Available on My Trips page?
Issues with UA's online rebooking: Missing flights, higher prices, changed cabin, ..
Is UA enforcing No Residual Value restriction found in some fare rules?

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): General Q&A, ... now 2 year life ...Closed
UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights ...Closed
How to get residual value ("future flight credit") from non-refundable flight ...Closed

Archive:
Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Future Flight Credit {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate(ETC) & Future Flight Credit(FFC)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2023, 11:49 pm

I used TravelBank to book A for $X.
Cancelled A and used FFC to book B for $Y. A should have a remaining FFC of $(X-Y). But it has $X.
Cancelled B and used FFC to book C for $Z. B should have a remaining FFC of $(Y-Z). But it has $0.

When trying to use FFC A, the web site shows this message: "This future flight credit can't be used on our website or app. Please contact Customer Support to book a flight using this credit."

I have done this many times without problems when A, B, and C have 1 person in the reservation. This time, A and B have 1 person and C has 2 people in the reservation, which may have caused this issue.

What should I do to fix this?
Old Oct 9, 2023, 9:13 am

Any suggestions?

Hi - my spouse and I are both 1k/million mile flyers (in our individual capacities). My spouse was going to accompany me on a trip the US (we live in London) and we purchased two Premium Plus tickets (on separate itineraries) using our Chase points. At the last minute, my spouse had to cancel due to a family medical emergency and the fare value of the fully unused ticket was put into a future flight credit. While my spouse will not probably travel to the US (and hence be on United) until next year, our kids are coming to the UK for Xmas. However, when I went to use the FFC for our kids tickets, United and Chase Travel explained to me that the FFC could only be used by my spouse as the named passenger.

In the past, United always converted FFCs to ETCs so we could use the value for any family member. But now, United reservations told me that they no longer do that. Further, they said I could only use the FFC through Chase Travel where I had purchased the ticket. So I called Chase Travel and they told me several disappointing things. First, they said the credit could only be used by my spouse and that it had to be in the same class of service as the original ticket. I pointed out to them that the original ticket was in Premium Plus and that United doesn't offer Premium Plus everywhere especially in the US. Nevertheless, they said it had to be in the same class of service.

I then asked Chase about residual credit if our new flights cost less than the new ticket. Chase said we would lose any residual value - we need to purchase a more expensive ticket. Given the value of the current ticket was over $3k, that certainly limits our options.

So we have a situation where we can't use the credit for others in our immediate family, can't use the credit over multiple tickets, can't use it for a fare class other than the original fare class of the ticket - none of which occurred when United converted the FFC to an ETC.

This might be the last straw with our relationship with United. We don't want a refund. All we want is flexibility in how we apply a credit from flights that were cancelled due to a medical emergency. United constantly thanks me for my loyalty as a 1k, but when I need their loyalty the answer is typically no.

Any suggestions?
Old Oct 9, 2023, 9:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Understand your disappointment but it may be misplaced
Originally Posted by mvogel
Hi - my spouse and I are both 1k/million mile flyers (in our individual capacities). My spouse was going to accompany me on a trip the US (we live in London) and we purchased two Premium Plus tickets (on separate itineraries) using our Chase points. At the last minute, my spouse had to cancel due to a family medical emergency and the fare value of the fully unused ticket was put into a future flight credit. While my spouse will not probably travel to the US (and hence be on United) until next year, our kids are coming to the UK for Xmas. However, when I went to use the FFC for our kids tickets, United and Chase Travel explained to me that the FFC could only be used by my spouse as the named passenger.
In the past, United always converted FFCs to ETCs so we could use the value for any family member. But now, United reservations told me that they no longer do that. ...
Cancelled tickets credits have always been limited to the named travel. However, during COVID UA was much more flexible and allowed conversion to ETCs. That was a limited situation due to COVID. You will find other airlines have the same rule.

Plus the core of the issue is you have a Chase credit, not a UA credit.

Further, they said I could only use the FFC through Chase Travel where I had purchased the ticket. So I called Chase Travel and they told me several disappointing things. First, they said the credit could only be used by my spouse and that it had to be in the same class of service as the original ticket. I pointed out to them that the original ticket was in Premium Plus and that United doesn't offer Premium Plus everywhere especially in the US. Nevertheless, they said it had to be in the same class of service.

I then asked Chase about residual credit if our new flights cost less than the new ticket. Chase said we would lose any residual value - we need to purchase a more expensive ticket. Given the value of the current ticket was over $3k, that certainly limits our options.

So we have a situation where we can't use the credit for others in our immediate family, can't use the credit over multiple tickets, can't use it for a fare class other than the original fare class of the ticket - none of which occurred when United converted the FFC to an ETC.
As you purchased your tickets from a third party travel agent, Chase, Chase sets the cancellation / change rules, not United. Those restrictions are common for a third party travel agent. The same cabin restriction is new to me and I would query Chase again about that.

Any suggestions?
You might try to get UA to "take over" the ticket from Chase. There is a $50 fee for that and I don't know if it can be done after cancellation (generally done before). UA can take over in some case but in other cases the third party travel agent does not allow.

It seems Chase is the party creating your problems.
Being a Chase points purchase further complicates the issue. Chase purchased the ticket, you indirectly purchased via Chase.

Additionally you might try requesting a refund under Consolidated "Refunds/Cancellations Due to Illness/Death" Thread [Merged] but being a Chase points ticket will be an issue and you will have to see if Chase (from whom you purchased travel) has an equivalent policy.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 9, 2023 at 10:00 am Reason: Medical refund
Old Oct 10, 2023, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HH Gold
Sorry further update on this future flight credit fiasco. It seems I can now book some US domestic only itineraries only in economy (nothing international other LHR-LAX) but for some reason the ticketing options are expensive (and this is not due to any change fee). For example, there is a return LAX-SFO outbound 18 Nov return 20 Nov. priced via googleflights on UA and I see BE at £73, Economy at £121 and Economy Plus at £195. When trying to use the FFC on my account, the lowest ticket I can get is £600 return for those dates. Am I missing something here about how FFC is meant to work? This is ridiculous.

*Also to add, it seems it on the return leg it seems the system won't even offer me a direct return leg. It only offers indirects via Fresno and Reno.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 10, 2023 at 3:58 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 10, 2023, 4:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by porky73
..... Am I missing something here about how FFC is meant to work? This is ridiculous......
Have you called UA? what do they say? Is there something odd about the booking? Non-USD currency can cause some issue but this many than that. It is sort acting as a partial flown itin???
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
I had a United credit booked via Chase points that was cancelled. I convinced United to take the ticket over when I learned that Chase could only rebook the ticket in the same cabin as the original ticket. But United held firm that the revised ticket had to be on the same route as the original ticket (LAX-EWR) and that if I changed to a less expensive ticket, the residual value would be lost. And the agent also said that some lower fares which show on united.com will not be available to book using this credit, because it started out as a travel agency-issued ticket.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 1:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Is there a way to forfeit/give up a future flight credit?
(I have a $0.20 FFC that I'd prefer to just go away.)
Old Oct 12, 2023, 3:09 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by narvik
Is there a way to forfeit/give up a future flight credit?
(I have a $0.20 FFC that I'd prefer to just go away.)
I can top that.

Let me know if you found a solution. I thought the only way is to wait for it to expire
narvik likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 3:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by delpiero223
I can top that.
Yikes!

It would be nice if United added a DONATION option, where one could choose to donate the value of the FFC (or a % of it) to a charity.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
I have a $350 FFC from a cancelled flight in 2020 during the beginning of the COVID pandemic. The credit is extended until the end of 2023.

It seems this FFC from 2020 can be used for travel by someone else besides myself and my original travel companion, who was originally on the cancelled flight back in 2020.

If I book a flight for myself and cancel in 24-48 hrs, I understand I will get a new FFC with a 12 month date and this will be saved in my MP acct, where I can use it to travel within the next 12 mth.

If I book a flight for a family member using the above FFC and cancel in 24-48 hours, does the family member get the new FFC assigned to her MP number with a 12 month expiration date?

Last edited by Time traveller; Oct 12, 2023 at 12:22 pm
Old Oct 12, 2023, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Time traveller
If I book a flight for a family member using the above FFC and cancel in 24-48 hours, does the family member get the new FFC assigned to her MP number with a 12 month expiration date?
The new FFC will be assigned to the traveler(s).

Originally Posted by delpiero223
I thought the only way is to wait for it to expire
Or you could do the unthinkable and actually use it.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The new FFC will be assigned to the traveler(s).
To clarify, the new FFC will be assigned to the original passengers from the original FFC from 2020? Thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Time traveller
To clarify, the new FFC will be assigned to the original passengers from the original FFC from 2020? Thanks.
No, it will be in the name of the person on the newly ticketed flight.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

In the past, United always converted FFCs to ETCs so we could use the value for any family member. But now, United reservations told me that they no longer do that. Further, they said I could only use the FFC through Chase Travel where I had purchased the ticket. So I called Chase Travel and they told me several disappointing things. First, they said the credit could only be used by my spouse and that it had to be in the same class of service as the original ticket. I pointed out to them that the original ticket was in Premium Plus and that United doesn't offer Premium Plus everywhere especially in the US. Nevertheless, they said it had to be in the same class of service.

This might be the last straw with our relationship with United. We don't want a refund. All we want is flexibility in how we apply a credit from flights that were cancelled due to a medical emergency. United constantly thanks me for my loyalty as a 1k, but when I need their loyalty the answer is typically no.

Any suggestions?
this is the way buying via a travel agency works. So essentially, this is, par for the course.

since you mention the original ticket was purchased with Chase points, and the cancelation was due to a ‘family emergency’, should see whether it qualifies for an insurance claim via the card you used. You don’t share details, but many situations might trigger coverage on a Saphire Reserve/Prefered, for example.

Loss of residual value is unfortunately built into the fare rules, and UA policy is to return it on flights booked directly via UA channels, but not via TAs. Indeed, even when you buy direct via UA, the forfeiture of residual is still in the fare rules, but they use a policy exception which is not extended to TA booked tickets. Sorry.

As for it not being useable for someone else, that is and has always been the case with limited exceptions in the year or two after COVID. Th is is pretty standard among all carriers, WN being the exception where it is usable for anyone (on many, but not all fares, IIRC).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 7:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm noticing a strange behavior on UA when I attempt to cancel couple of my Economy tickets

1. Paid 106 last week. Current price of same flight is 94. Cancel shows I'll receive 94. Even the receipt shows 94 even though I paid 106
2. Paid 148 last week. Current price of same flight went up to 155. Cancel shows I'll receive 155. Receipt for my ticket shows 155 though I paid 148

Not sure why UA is showing FFC to be received based on current price rather than what was paid. I've not cancelled yet. Hoping they fix it. Both are domestic US flights, so no FX involved here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.