Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate(ETC) & Future Flight Credit(FFC)

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate(ETC) & Future Flight Credit(FFC)

Old Oct 13, 2021, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott LT Titanium, '20 Ambassador
I just tried using mine to book first flight in almost 2 years and the cart shows the good old $200 change fee tacked on. Any way to get around that on the web or is this a call in special?
Old Feb 20, 2022, 8:19 pm

I cancelled an ORD-BOS trip that I was planning to take this weekend. The app shows I have a travel credit for the cost of the trip. Tried booking a new ORD-BOS trip for a few weeks from now, and its not letting me use the travel credit, saying the names must match. But its literally my ticket, booked through the app using the exact same traveler profile as last time.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
I cancelled an ORD-BOS trip that I was planning to take this weekend. The app shows I have a travel credit for the cost of the trip. Tried booking a new ORD-BOS trip for a few weeks from now, and its not letting me use the travel credit, saying the names must match. But its literally my ticket, booked through the app using the exact same traveler profile as last time.
I imagine your ORD-BOS trip for this weekend was originally booked from a previous FFC with more than one passenger? FFCs don't deal well with more than one cycle of changes, especially not with more than one name on them.

Anyway, you'll have to call to make your new booking, and someone will have to fuss around to get the right credit applied.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
I imagine your ORD-BOS trip for this weekend was originally booked from a previous FFC with more than one passenger? FFCs don't deal well with more than one cycle of changes, especially not with more than one name on them.

Anyway, you'll have to call to make your new booking, and someone will have to fuss around to get the right credit applied.
Nope. It was a new booking single-passenger reservation.

Ill call and see what the agent can do. One suspicion is that it might be some oddity with how the suffix on my name gets treated. Uniteds passenger profile treats the suffix as a separate field, but then the ticket just merges it with my last name. This has caused issues getting my frequent flyer number recognized at OAL before, but Ive never had any problems with UA-only itineraries.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nope. It was a new booking single-passenger reservation.

Ill call and see what the agent can do. One suspicion is that it might be some oddity with how the suffix on my name gets treated. Uniteds passenger profile treats the suffix as a separate field, but then the ticket just merges it with my last name. This has caused issues getting my frequent flyer number recognized at OAL before, but Ive never had any problems with UA-only itineraries.
In that case you could try just entering yourself as a new passenger, with last name and suffix concatenated. The FFC is probably fine, so unless the computers are in weekend fiesta mode, it might work.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 11:56 pm

I was told is some system glitch. Phone rep had no idea why I could not apply the credit. Could see the individual (me) is the same on her end. Said to call when ready to book and the credit would be applied by an agent. Which it was when I called back a couple of weeks later.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: United
Question requesting help / suggestions on two person travel credit issue

Good Day,
I have a United travel credit from last year that is good through end of this year.
Just booked a flight - and used "use travel credit" button at bottom of screen

However, the travel credit did not process and the charges were billed to CC.

Called customer service with the information - can't do anything about it per the rep

Recourse? Just under $1,000 voucher. Can try later this year for a different trip but not expecting the website accommodate.

Thanks in advance - GG.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
Has it been less than 24 hours since you made the reservation? You should be able to cancel, get a full refund to your original method of payment, and try again or perhaps have a reservations agent assist.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 10:36 am

Weds night and it posted to CC already.
Thanks for the suggestion regarding canceling and redoing it

I wonder if others have had same issue with website?
Old Feb 26, 2022, 10:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Need a little more information on how you attempted to use the credit and what type of credit it was?
Did you see the credit applied in the payment process?
How did you select the credit to be used?
Where in the process did you select the specific credit?
Old Feb 27, 2022, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Need a little more information on how you attempted to use the credit and what type of credit it was?
Did you see the credit applied in the payment process?
How did you select the credit to be used?
Where in the process did you select the specific credit?
My United, scrolled down to travel credit, chose travel credit, chose Book with Credit

Charged my saved CC

Future flight credit for a canceled flight spring of 2021 - good through 12/31/2022
credit would have covered our entire round trip with $20 left over for us to pay.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.98MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by GG1273
My United, scrolled down to travel credit, chose travel credit, chose Book with Credit
So, FFC credit?
Try instead to book normally without starting from the Travel Credit and onn the payment select FFC and enter the PNR.

Trying on the app vs online might work better

Is this a single person credit / new ticket? or multiple people?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 12:01 pm

So, FFC credit?
Try instead to book normally without starting from the Travel Credit and onn the payment select FFC and enter the PNR.

Trying on the app vs online might work better

Is this a single person credit / new ticket? or multiple people?
2 people - both United members

Looks like we'll be heading to London in May so will try your suggestion - thanks for the feedback
Old Feb 28, 2022, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by GG1273
2 people - both United members ...
two person credits have been tricky. Some have request the FFC to be split, just like a PNR. When using a two person FFC, the new tickets have to match and people have had issues with that. Perhaps use an agent to rebook to avoid that issue you had..
Old Mar 2, 2022, 2:14 pm

Smile

two person credits have been tricky. Some have request the FFC to be split, just like a PNR. When using a two person FFC, the new tickets have to match and people have had issues with that. Perhaps use an agent to rebook to avoid that issue you had..
Will do, thanks very much for the insight

I'm lucky, first issue I've ever had w/UAL...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.