Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate(ETC) & Future Flight Credit(FFC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hkcj
* In mid-2021, UA started a process that unify ETCs/FFCs and expand their usability, jointly they are called "travel credits"
* There are still a few differences - transferability and expiration are different
* Conversion of FFCs to ETCs are no longer an option
* See this UA announcement (27 Sept 2021) for some insight

FFC -- Future flight Credit issued when you voluntarily cancel or change a non-refundable flight
ETC -- A credit issued generally for a service related issue, broken seat, a significant delayed flight due to UA issues, ....
Refunds due to significant schedule changes or cancellations are different, see Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund,New DOT ruling,UA processing refunds

United travel credits
We have two types of travel credits, and both can easily be used to shop for flights and amenities on our website or app. Get to know future flight credits and travel certificates.

How do I redeem my travel credits?
Shop for your flight as you normally would. Once you get to checkout, all unused travel credits that are connected to your MileagePlus account will automatically appear once you select “Travel Credits” as a payment option. All you have to do is select the checkbox next to the credit and it will automatically be applied to your reservation.

If you don’t see one of your travel credits listed, or don’t have a MileagePlus account, you can also look up your credit directly from checkout and apply it to your cart.
Can anyone use my credits?
Who can actually use a travel credit varies based on credit type.

Future flight credits
Normally, a future flight credit is non-transferrable and therefore must be used by the same traveler it was issued to. However, all future flight credits that were issued for tickets purchased on or before August 31, 2021, can now be used to book travel for anyone, including yourself, friends, or family. If you have trouble using a future flight credit, please contact Reservations at 1-800-864-8331.
Travel certificates
These credits can be used by anyone.
What can I use my travel credits?
  1. All travel credits can be used to buy tickets on United, United Express and partner-operated flights. You can also apply travel credits toward non-ticket items, like Economy Plus® seating, Basic Economy seat assignments and preferred seating. (and pre-paid checked bags? never implemented)

To use travel credits with PlusPoints, you’ll need to book your ticket using your travel credit and then request a PlusPoints upgrade.
Do travel credits expire?
All travel credits do expire, but the expirations work differently for the two types of credits.

Future flight credits
Future flight credits have a “travel by” date as their expiration. This means the itinerary you apply a future flight credit toward must begin travel before the expiration date. In most cases, this date is one year after your original ticket was issued.

Please note, future flight credits issued on or before December 31, 2022, have had their “travel by” date extended to December 31, 2023.

Travel certificates
Travel certificates have a “book by” date as their expiration. Meaning, you must book your flight using this credit before the expiration date. In most cases, these credits expire up to one year after the date they were issued.

Please note, travel certificates set to expire on or before December 31, 2022, or issued before December 31, 2022, have had their “book by” date extended to December 31, 2023.
Where do I find my travel credit info?
MileagePlus members can find a summary of their travel credits in their account. If you aren’t a member or can’t find your credit in your account, you can also use the lookup forms provided on this page to find your travel credit information, including the value and expiration date.
Can I use multiple credit info?
Yes, you can use multiple credits of the same type in a single purchase. Future flight credits and travel certificates cannot be combined. {Although in Sept 2021 UA hinted this was coming}
What if I have a travel credit issues for a flight originally booked through a travel agent?
You can still use your credit, but you’ll need to do it through the travel agency you used to book the original flight.
(ETC) Terms and conditions
Certificate terms and conditions
  1. Travel certificates are redeemable toward transportation on any flight operated by United Airlines, Inc., United Express, and partner airlines sold on United digital channels.
  2. You may redeem or view travel certificate details at united.com by clicking on Deals & Offers, Promotional certificates, and entering the promotion code and PIN in the offer code box. You can also call United at 800-UNITED-1 (800-864-8331). A fee may apply for redemption via telephone. You will be asked to enter the last name of the certificate recipient. Certificates may not be redeemed through a travel agency.
  3. The promotion code and PIN must be presented at time of ticket purchase and expire 24 months from original date of issue, unless otherwise noted.
  4. Travel certificates have no cash value.
  5. Travel certificates will not be honored in conjunction with prepaid tickets, fee-waived tickets, MileagePlus awards, tour packages or other service charges. You must pay for outstanding fees and ancillary purchases with a credit or debit card at time of purchase.
  6. If the face amount of a travel certificate exceeds the cost of the ticket for which it is surrendered, any residual amount will be applied to the same PIN for use toward another ticket until either the original issued amount is depleted, or the expiration date has been reached, whichever comes first.
  7. Travel certificates are not transferable and may not be sold, traded or bartered. However, the original recipient of a certificate may arrange travel for another person if done without selling or bartering the certificate. Any sale or barter of a certificate, or any offer to sell or enter into such a transaction, shall render a certificate null and void such that the certificate shall no longer be redeemable by any person, including the original recipient.
  8. Positive identification may be required when using a certificate toward the purchase of a ticket. United is not liable for loss, theft or unintended use of a certificate by a person other than the original recipient.
  9. United's Contract of Carriage applies to all travel on United Airlines and United Express.
Can I convert a FFC to ETC? Can I get an ETC instead of FFC?
You can not longer do either.
Occasionally, if there is an problem using your FFC, the agent will convert it to an ETC for immediate use. These are rare and at the agent;s discretion. Calling to ask converting an FFC to ETC for use by another traveler will likely not work -as the FFC was never intended for transfer
What if I only use part of the credit, what happens to the rest?
For both FFCs/ETCs the remainder of the credit is available for future use
But these credits must be fully used before the use of a credit card payment
Can FFCs or ETCs be used to pay award fees?
No
What happens if I cancel a ticket purchased with FFC or ETC in 24 hours?
Payment goes back to original form of payment, Note this can take some time -- a week or more, especially for the ETC.
What happens if I cancel a ticket purchased with FFC or ETC after 24 hours?
This becomes a new FFC (including the ETC value). This generally happens immediately.
ETC
ETCs can be used for internet access, E+, subscriptions, upgrades, bag fees

Comparison of TB, ETCs, & FFCs
  • They all have different pluses and minuses
  • TB can only be used on an all UA operated itin but can be used to book anyone. Deposited TB funds have up to 5 year expiration (special promos are funds are much shorter) and need to be used for a booking before expiration but travel can be later (up to 11 months)
  • ETCs can be used for any itin bookable by United and can be used by any traveler, Trips funded by ETC need to be booked by expiration but travel can be later (up to 11 months)
  • FFCs can be use for any itin bookable by United but can only be used by the named traveler, Trips funded by ETC need to be started before expiration
  • Only one of these can be used in a single booking, but multiple ETCs or Multiple FFCs can be used for a single booking
  • TB and ETCs can be converted to FFCs. FFCs can not (in general) be converted to ETCs (but occasionally will be if a legitimate FFCs usage fails).
  • FFCs or ETCs can not be deposited in TB.
Not working as-of April 2024. However, you can follow the below to book a flight, then change it to a different flight after the expiration date.
Originally Posted by wiki
If you want to extend an FFC, the most reliable process is:

Purchasie a new non-refundable (non-BE) itin, for same passengers as the FFC. Do not use change of flight, start a new booking without using the FFC.
When you get to the payment page, then use the FFC as a form of payment
Wait a bit over 24 hours and then cancel.
You then will receive, essentially instantaneous, a new FFC with an expiration 1 year from the booking date.
The new FFC must be used for a trip starting before the new expiration
Deviations may not be successful
This will not work for FFC from a partial flown trip.

This works for extending ETC also except the ETC with be converted to a FFC and locked to the named passenger.

There is no guarantee this process will work in the future
Other useful threads
Extending a Credit/Travel/ETC Voucher by booking a refundable fare?

Now See All Your Electronic Travel Credit(s) (ETCs) on Your United.com Account!
Future Flight Credits (FFC) Available on My Trips page?
Issues with UA's online rebooking: Missing flights, higher prices, changed cabin, ..
Is UA enforcing No Residual Value restriction found in some fare rules?

UA Electronic Travel Certificates (ETC): General Q&A, ... now 2 year life ...Closed
UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights ...Closed
How to get residual value ("future flight credit") from non-refundable flight ...Closed

Archive:
Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Future Flight Credit {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Understanding/Using UA Electronic Travel Certificate(ETC) & Future Flight Credit(FFC)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2023, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Quite the opposite. Book way in advance and loan UA some money, but if the price drops, you can add/collect the fare difference (I've saved a couple hundred this way now) or just pay the fare difference if you need to move the flight to a different date/time.

If you have a predictable flight schedule, you can effectively lock in low airfare prices indefinitely and just keep rolling FFC/ETCs into the next set of flight changes you need to make (or to future bookings).
Well, can you roll FFCs into the next flight? Going back to my example, would the FFC travel by date be tied to the first booked flight issue date, or the second one?
Old Jun 15, 2023, 4:34 am

My questions boil down to how flight changes affect the travel by date of FFC and how a booking made with FFC affect a flight change to a flight after the FFC travel by date:

Case 1:

Buy a flight, change it to a different flight later on, cancel. Would the resulting FFC have the travel by date 1 year from the original booking date, or one year from the date I made the change?

Case 2:

Buy a flight, cancel the flight and get FFC. Use FFC to book another flight departing prior to the FFC travel by date. Change that flight to some other flight in the future after the FFC travel by date. What would happen in this case? Would that be allowed? Will I have to pay for the entire new flight again if I made the change as the underlying FFC will be “expired”?
Old Jun 15, 2023, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA, BA Silver (at least for a few more months)
First time receiving an ETC from United for me and my son. He does not have a UA frequent flyer account, but I do. In order to use his ETC do I need to create a Mileage Plus account for him, or can I just add it to my account and use it when I book our next flight? He is a minor so will be travelling with me. Thank you!
Old Jun 15, 2023, 12:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dannysporea
My questions boil down to how flight changes affect the travel by date of FFC and how a booking made with FFC affect a flight change to a flight after the FFC travel by date:

Case 1:

Buy a flight, change it to a different flight later on, cancel. Would the resulting FFC have the travel by date 1 year from the original booking date, or one year from the date I made the change? ...
1 year from the original purchase

Case 2:

Buy a flight, cancel the flight and get FFC. Use FFC to book another flight departing prior to the FFC travel by date. Change that flight to some other flight in the future after the FFC travel by date. What would happen in this case? Would that be allowed? Will I have to pay for the entire new flight again if I made the change as the underlying FFC will be “expired”?
To extend the date, do not do a change flight. Cancel and wait to the payment page and use the FFC to pay. You want a new PNR to reset the original payment date.

Originally Posted by l2travel2
First time receiving an ETC from United for me and my son. He does not have a UA frequent flyer account, but I do. In order to use his ETC do I need to create a Mileage Plus account for him, or can I just add it to my account and use it when I book our next flight? He is a minor so will be travelling with me. Thank you!
With the PIN and last name, anyone can use a ETC any time. You do this at purchase. There is no way to get a ETC "in your account" like an FFC.
ETC are not tied to an account.
SPN Lifer, l2travel2 and simonsuo like this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

To extend the date, do not do a change flight. Cancel and wait to the payment page and use the FFC to pay. You want a new PNR to reset the original payment date.
Thanks WineCountryUA So this is the trick, now I think I get it how to extend a FFC: buy a flight A, cancel flight A later and get FFC. Use that FFC to book another flight B (a new PNR) departing prior to the FFC travel by date. Cancel flight B and get FFC valid to travel 1 year after the date of booking flight B. Am I correct this time?
Old Jun 15, 2023, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks WineCountryUA So this is the trick, now I think I get it how to extend a FFC: buy a flight A, cancel flight A later and get FFC. Use that FFC to book another flight B (a new PNR) departing prior to the FFC travel by date. Cancel flight B and get FFC valid to travel 1 year after the date of booking flight B. Am I correct this time?
Yes - well…until UA decides that there are too many people pulling this and then ends up limiting FFC use (ie, figures out how to tie follow-on FFC to original FFC expiry, and enforces that, or stops allowing FFCs as a method of payment and just goes back to forcing you to ‘change’ to use them - like in the pre-COVID days).
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
...or by using that credit to fund an entirely new ticket (with any extra value being available for later use, or requiring extra payment if the new itinerary is more than the amount in the PNR)...
Are you able to provide a bit more clarity on how to book a new ticket using this method?

When I try to go through the regular process of booking a new ticket, my FFCs are grey'd out and unable to be applied. UA forces me to go through the flight change method.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pentiumvi
\When I try to go through the regular process of booking a new ticket, my FFCs are grey'd out and unable to be applied. UA forces me to go through the flight change method.
Not all FFCs can be used in this manner. In particular, you can't use a FFC that you got from changing a partially-used ticket in this fashion. You also can't use a FFC for a different passenger than booked originally. There also seem to be some other, less-obvious rules, as I've had a couple of FFCs greyed out that I thought would qualify.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Not all FFCs can be used in this manner. In particular, you can't use a FFC that you got from changing a partially-used ticket in this fashion. You also can't use a FFC for a different passenger than booked originally. There also seem to be some other, less-obvious rules, as I've had a couple of FFCs greyed out that I thought would qualify.
Hmmm, neither of the 2 cases you mention are applicable. My FFCs seem to have fallen into the "other" category then. Unfortunate.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I have a booking made with a December 2023 expiring FFC. That flight got cancelled so it's eligible for a free refund. But... Wouldn't that in my case actually be WORSE than taking the "new" FFC?
Old Jun 24, 2023, 2:24 am

United FFC fly by date extending question

Didn't know where to ask this so I'll try here. United FFC expiration question. I have 3 FFCs and all three "travel by" dates are between Feb and May 2024. Problem for me is I can't really use them before June '24, so most likely will lose out on them. Anybody know of a way to extend these? For example, could I book a ticket using the FFCs for a date before current expiration, and then change the ticket later on to a date past the current fly by date. I'm thinking United has that figured out and would block one from doing so, but I figure some of you may know if this or any other trick would be a valid work around. Thanks.

Last edited by drfonta; Jun 24, 2023 at 3:40 am Reason: corrected
Old Jun 24, 2023, 10:18 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by drfonta
..., could I book a ticket using the FFCs for a date before current expiration, and then change the ticket later on to a date past the current fly by date. I'm thinking United has that figured out and would block one from doing so, but I figure some of you may know if this or any other trick would be a valid work around.
For now that is still a viable option. Change or cancel after 24 hours. Wait till closer to the present expirations to get the max benefit (assuming UA does not change) or at least until within a sure travel date,
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
For now that is still a viable option. Change or cancel after 24 hours. Wait till closer to the present expirations to get the max benefit (assuming UA does not change) or at least until within a sure travel date,
even if UA elected the change the rules in the future, they would still honor the T&C in place when the ticket was purchased.
Old Jun 24, 2023, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
even if UA elected the change the rules in the future, they would still honor the T&C in place when the ticket was purchased.
Not sure the ability to multiple extend FFCs are in the T&Cs
Old Jun 24, 2023, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Not sure the ability to multiple extend FFCs are in the T&Cs
Well, o.k., that is correct. What I meant is ... if UA elects to re-instate change fees, a ticket that was purchased prior to such a chance will still have no change fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.