Search

UA life post COVID-19 recovery

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum

Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
I wish they wouldn’t have halved the qualification requirements. 2021 gate licing will be brutal
I’m not sure what travel demand you’re expecting in 2021 but it definitely won’t be as bad as it is now. Think more about how many travelers there will be total and not how many have status.

Do you remember traveling in 2009/2010? It was certainly a problem sometimes on business heavy times but “gate lice” then include first class, 1K and more. It was roughly equivalent to the preboarding scramble now.

I’m not so worried about this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8
I’m not sure what travel demand you’re expecting in 2021 but it definitely won’t be as bad as it is now. Think more about how many travelers there will be total and not how many have status...
a couple of things to consider:
1) the fewer flyers are not going to be spread across the same number of flights. UA will be significantly paring the schedule to get profitable loads.
2) on these reduced flights, I’m guessing one will see a higher fraction of elite flyers - it’s what they do. Leisure travel Is likely to drop more as a percentage of passengers than business travel.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Leisure travel Is likely to drop more as a percentage of passengers than business travel.
Possible.

But there's also the possibility that after being cooped-up for so long, even the leisure travelers might come back in droves.
Similarly for going out to eat and to bars/pubs.

Overcompensation for being "locked up" too long.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by narvik
Possible.

But there's also the possibility that after being cooped-up for so long, even the leisure travelers might come back in droves.

Exactly. Everyone I know is like a coiled spring, ready to finally take that delayed vacation. Lots of people will have a ton of vacation time to burn in 2H2020 (unless employers permit rollover/cash out)
Old Apr 8, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by deskover54
where did you hear this? please please please bring this back. i don't want to have to transit in tokyo or elsewhere. PVG-SFO would be SUPER amazing
Not so super amazing when one considers the 14day quarantine requirement for any new arrival, citizen or not.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryman554
Not so super amazing when one considers the 14day quarantine requirement for any new arrival, citizen or not.
But if you have to go, much better to have a direct flight.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by narvik

How long have you been locked up so far? (three weeks here)

How many times do non-Flyertalker leisure travelers go on vacation in a normal year?

How much money do people who were laid off/furloughed have to spend on overcompensation vacations?

Sure, there will be some, but I very much believe that demand will be low compared to last year this time.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Agree. And UA agrees

Thats one reason why they will soften the Premier requirements in 2021 for 2022 status as well.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
How long have you been locked up so far? (three weeks here)

How many times do non-Flyertalker leisure travelers go on vacation in a normal year?

How much money do people who were laid off/furloughed have to spend on overcompensation vacations?

Sure, there will be some, but I very much believe that demand will be low compared to last year this time.
I won't be so sure. China just ended a months-long nationwide quarantine, and tourists are flocking to domestic attractions in droves. Huangshan, a scenic UNESCO site, received humongous crowds after re-opening. Many movie cinemas, amusement parks etc. recently were also ordered closed after re-opening due to fears that another outbreak might occur.

Maybe most of those guys drove or took the bus rather than flew, but the point is that when people have been cooped up for a long time, there's a big build-up of urge to go SOMEWHERE after things "go back to normal". When the government lifts our stay-at-home rules, I'll bet that many attractions will be, if not as swamped as Huangshan, quite busy.

Last edited by Finalcall; Apr 9, 2020 at 12:09 am
Old Apr 9, 2020, 12:54 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards

Since it looks like the US is near the peak of the virus, I figured it might be a good time to speculate about what life will be life on United as we recover and after it's all over.

I was thinking about some routes that may not be restored, and IAH-SYD stands out like a sore thumb to me. I can also see the frequent LHR routes slightly reduced for a while even after most everything else is at the new normal.

Also, Forbes had an article about PVG being one of the first routes to be restored, even if only once weekly at first.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
I sure hope we see a quick comeback of 871 and 872 to Taipei. So far my June reservations are confirmed. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Taiwan is one of the safest places in the world right now, though, and who knows how long it will be before (non-Taiwanese citizen/resident) passengers from the USA are allowed back into the island.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by phkc070408
Since it looks like the US is near the peak of the virus, I figured it might be a good time to speculate about what life will be life on United as we recover and after it's all over.

I was thinking about some routes that may not be restored, and IAH-SYD stands out like a sore thumb to me. I can also see the frequent LHR routes slightly reduced for a while even after most everything else is at the new normal.

Also, Forbes had an article about PVG being one of the first routes to be restored, even if only once weekly at first.
Near the peak? I’d say maybe a month or two from it.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Since when does not having any money mean you can't fly?

And Uplift is still a thing with United:
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ht/uplift.html
Old Apr 9, 2020, 3:33 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Near the peak? I’d say maybe a month or two from it.
COVID-19

https://www.talktomira.com/post/when...ial-distancing
Old Apr 9, 2020, 4:02 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
From this link:

by forecasting the hospital demand and death rates, researchers were able to predict peak outbreak of COVID-19 by state if social distancing is maintained.
It’s hard to see why infections wouldn’t simply start to go back up if social distancing were eased before widely available antibody testing, vaccine, and/or cures. None of those seem likely anytime soon.
Xyzzy, AirbusFan2B and jasonp622 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.