Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA life post COVID-19 recovery

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Bear96
Where are you hearing that? I just googled and the consensus seems to be that they want to re-open this year and are taking bookings for as early as this June. Not that I believe they will open on June 1, but I can't find anything that says they are planning on Jan. 2021 at the earliest.
https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-di...f915ee041.html
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, that seems to be a UBS guess though, not Disney's plan. (And the article also references possibly opening on 6/1/20.)

The UBS opinion seems to be an outlier based on the other reports I am seeing. This is not to say UBS won't end up being correct!
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:42 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by Bear96
Thanks, that seems to be a UBS guess though, not Disney's plan. (And the article also references possibly opening on 6/1/20.)

The UBS opinion seems to be an outlier based on the other reports I am seeing. This is not to say UBS won't end up being correct!
​​​​​​
The article cites the LA Times as well.

​​​​​
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:49 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
As the past few years have shown, Americans love to go places for little money. The economy was previously booming and planes were packed. There is still a high percentage of people who have remained employed and would like to get back in the air/have the money to do so. I think as soon as there is a general "thumbs up" for travel, people will be back in the air. I am no more concerned for cleanliness than I was pre virus.

As much as I'd love for middle seats to continue being blocked, that is not practical or sustainable. Obviously airlines put seats in their planes because they need to fill them to make money. Surprisingly, airlines do in fact operate with the intention of making money. I hope cleaning policies will remain in effect because it just makes sense. Additionally, I hope passengers will be more mindful of messes and leaving their seating area clean.

I think we can expect to see some of the "additions" that have come over the past few years to be removed such as meals on shorter domestic flights (I'm not sure if UA did that, I know DL did). Maybe less movie options or possibly having to pay for it. Maybe they'll just give people the entire can of soda.
I am hopeful that things will get back to normal sooner rather than later. I am excited to get back out and explore the world and I hope we will all appreciate our ability to hope on a plane and go wherever we want a little more after being "grounded".
tstauck likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
The more I contemplate it, I think there is no choice but for UA (and AA, and DL) to shrink drastically, and that Chapter 11 might be what it takes. It's not going to be socially acceptable to pack people in like sardines for months (if not longer), and flying planes at 50% capacity isn't a money-making proposition. If this economic downturn is prolonged, there's a good chance UA goes belly-up or are bought out by DL way down the road. Who knows. Making prognostications on how things will turn out is a fool's errand IMO.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dilanesp
If you are thinking of Disney in August, I am hearing the EARLIEST they are looking at reopening parks is next January.
It's not up to Disney, it's up to Orange County, the City of Anaheim and their insurance companies.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 9:58 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by dilanesp
If you are thinking of Disney in August, I am hearing the EARLIEST they are looking at reopening parks is next January.
I think June is optimistic, but it'll certainly be way before January.

https://doctordisney.com/2020/04/28/...PVZvfAPn1aDVJQ
Old Apr 28, 2020, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From my perspective, what we're seeing is that the virus is more widespread than presumed, with a lot of asymptomatic cases and thus less deadly than originally estimated. If we can get better testing in place, along with a decent treatment regime, things might get closer to normal (but not normal) in 6-9 months, but still too early to tell.

Wildcard is Sweden - if their estimates are right that they will achieve herd immunity by the end of May, the rest of us will be confounded.
SPN Lifer and tcdtcd like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 28, 2020 at 10:57 pm Reason: OMNI comments removed
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
They are not easy to find and issue - I can't force a bulk fare in my GDS without risking a debit memo or other sanctions. If they became easier to find through a consolidator, I would be all over it. Honestly, as bad as UA has become, I would rather buy P as a bulk fare and get the value along with the Polaris Lounge and Polaris seat vs flying AC.

All customers are liabilities in Kirby's eyes - that is how he was taught by Baldanza. The customer is the enemy - and you need to squeeze as much margin from them as possible, and any benefits must be rewarded with margin, otherwise out you go. Post coronavirus we will see if he is still able to hit 80% plus systemwide load factors will non status low cost customers, or if his only remaining viable business are loyalists who need to travel. I suspect Kirby is lining himself up for a big mistake if those low cost customers don't return in droves.
The low cost consumers don't pay the bills. It's the high cost corporate customers up front. Biz travelers will be very slow to return due to corporate concerns about liability and well being of executives. Plus people have discovered they can operate without travel by using webex, teams, video conference, etc. (we always knew this but never needed to do so 100%). So by spitting in the face of those elites (who value the perks just as much as the low cost frequent flyers) Kirby is setting himself up for a bathtub of red ink. Contrast to the AS forum, where customers are uniformly positive about the refund experience. I know which airline (and partners) I will be flying if I have a choice (even giving up free E+ and lounge perks)
Old Apr 29, 2020, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Contrast to the AS forum, where customers are uniformly positive about the refund experience. I know which airline (and partners) I will be flying if I have a choice (even giving up free E+ and lounge perks)
I just took a look over there and see what you mean about the positive experiences with refunds in the AS forum. Wow!

In all fairness my customer service experiences with United during recent months (even with refunds) have also been positive, and so far I've only needed one HUCA.

The timing of this PQP adjustment is tone deaf. But, I still appreciate the great service from the 1K line and 1kvoice, that's for sure.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Boraxo
The low cost consumers don't pay the bills. It's the high cost corporate customers up front. Biz travelers will be very slow to return due to corporate concerns about liability and well being of executives. Plus people have discovered they can operate without travel by using webex, teams, video conference, etc. (we always knew this but never needed to do so 100%). So by spitting in the face of those elites (who value the perks just as much as the low cost frequent flyers) Kirby is setting himself up for a bathtub of red ink. Contrast to the AS forum, where customers are uniformly positive about the refund experience. I know which airline (and partners) I will be flying if I have a choice (even giving up free E+ and lounge perks)
Business travel will never return to its former level - this event will be ingrained into the memory of everyone on earth for many years, even decades to come, plus it's not even nearly finished. Even with a vaccine, the desire to get in any crowded space among a large group of people will be impacted for years. I don't think people like Kirby realize this - they are forecasting a return to normal that just isn't going to happen, however I expect his response to this result won't be to incentivize travel, but to double down on cuts until the airline and program are right-sized for the smaller market that remains.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Business travel will never return to its former level - this event will be ingrained into the memory of everyone on earth for many years, even decades to come, plus it's not even nearly finished. Even with a vaccine, the desire to get in any crowded space among a large group of people will be impacted for years. I don't think people like Kirby realize this - they are forecasting a return to normal that just isn't going to happen, however I expect his response to this result won't be to incentivize travel, but to double down on cuts until the airline and program are right-sized for the smaller market that remains.
Do you mean like SARS/MERS/etc that hit Asia hard multiple times last decade? They certainly didn't forget (and it shows in the pandemic response). This is more of the same to them. It's a first for the USA for quite some time, which is why it feels so... catastrophic.

However, since you are intimately involved in the travel industry on the booking side, can you comment on the business (or leisure!) travel demand from (not to!) asia since the mid 2000's? That data should give us all a pretty good idea whether or not travel will pick up and when.

EDIT: Here's a plot you're looking for:
https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...by-coronavirus

So, while none of us expect an increase similar to SARS (given the other pan/epidemics didn't even make too much of a dent) which would have us return to normal this summer, it does indicate the humans have a fairly short memory. On the other side of this, I suspect travel will return sooner rather than later.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by ryman554
Do you mean like SARS/MERS/etc that hit Asia hard multiple times last decade? They certainly didn't forget (and it shows in the pandemic response). This is more of the same to them. It's a first for the USA for quite some time, which is why it feels so... catastrophic.

However, since you are intimately involved in the travel industry on the booking side, can you comment on the business (or leisure!) travel demand from (not to!) asia since the mid 2000's? That data should give us all a pretty good idea whether or not travel will pick up and when.

EDIT: Here's a plot you're looking for:
https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...by-coronavirus

So, while none of us expect an increase similar to SARS (given the other pan/epidemics didn't even make too much of a dent) which would have us return to normal this summer, it does indicate the humans have a fairly short memory. On the other side of this, I suspect travel will return sooner rather than later.
Comparing SARS and MERS to coronavirus is like comparing apples to basketballs. Yes, both are diseases, but while SARS and MERS were local outbreaks, not pandemics, that were generally out of sight and out of mind for much of the world, coronavirus is a global pandemic with millions dead, many more millions sick, and a catastrophic hit to the global economy on a scale that makes SARS look like it was nothing. Also, we are in a different technical world now than we were during SARS - remote work is not just possible, it's preferred. The volume of business travel was on the decline for the last few years, and this is now the nail in the coffin as only the most critical business travel will return and there will be resistance from employees who are asked to hit the road again. Very few circumstances really need onsite work visits at this point in comparison to 10 years ago. Most businesses are anxious to cut the cost of business travel and thin it out since it's hard to justify a return on the money spent.

As everyone likes to say, we are "in unprecedented times", so you cannot look at the past data for an dissimilar event to extract a forecast for this event.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
coronavirus is a global pandemic with millions dead,
More like 250,000 as of the time I write this
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
More like 250,000 as of the time I write this
Well, the sharp increase in deaths (v.s. expected) prior to regular testing for / determination of coronavirus as a cause of deaths suggests there may be non-insignificant number of coronavirus-related deaths that weren't linked to Covid-19 and haven't been included in the official count. Plus some countries aren't forthcoming or are not equipped to count. I wouldn't rule out COVID-19 deaths being twice the official count, but maybe not a million.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.