FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   2x PQP for UA Explorer cards & 4x PQP for the UA Club cards from 1 May - 31 Dec 2020 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2015297-2x-pqp-ua-explorer-cards-4x-pqp-ua-club-cards-1-may-31-dec-2020-a.html)

cerealmarketer Apr 5, 2020 8:03 pm

2x PQP for UA Explorer cards & 4x PQP for the UA Club cards from 1 May - 31 Dec 2020

I take it the doubling of PQPs you can earn from cards is a doubling of the max rather than a doubling of the *rate*

Regardless they didn't create this plan from scratch this afternoon - plenty of planning going on in the prior weeks

DELee Apr 5, 2020 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer (Post 32267842)
I take it the doubling of PQPs you can earn from cards is a doubling of the max rather than a doubling of the *rate*

Regardless they didn't create this plan from scratch this afternoon - plenty of planning going on in the prior weeks

You missed keeping this from your (original) quote off of jetstream:

Copyright © 2017 United Airlines,Inc. All rights reserved
David

blug Apr 5, 2020 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer (Post 32267842)

It has to be max. Quadrupling the rate would be too good to be possible.

PrivatePilot Apr 5, 2020 8:49 pm

We’re also doubling PQP for United Explorer cards and quadrupling PQP for the United Club cards.

Sorry if this is something I should know but can you earn PQP through credit card spend?

ALGU Apr 5, 2020 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot (Post 32267920)
We’re also doubling PQP for United Explorer cards and quadrupling PQP for the United Club cards.

Sorry if this is something I should know but can you earn PQP through credit card spend?

Yes, here are the details. Credits to MonkeyMiles for the quick excerpt.
  • The UnitedSM Explorer Card, United ClubSM Card, UnitedSM Explorer Business Card, United ClubSM Business Card, United MileagePlus® Awards Card, United MileagePlus® Card, and United MileagePlus® Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 1,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to Platinum.
  • The United MileagePlus® Select Card and United MileagePlus® Platinum Class Visa Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 3,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.
  • The UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Card and UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 10,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.

LinBros Apr 5, 2020 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by ALGU (Post 32267943)
Yes, here are the details. Credits to MonkeyMiles for the quick excerpt.
  • The UnitedSM Explorer Card, United ClubSM Card, UnitedSM Explorer Business Card, United ClubSM Business Card, United MileagePlus® Awards Card, United MileagePlus® Card, and United MileagePlus® Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 1,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to Platinum.
  • The United MileagePlus® Select Card and United MileagePlus® Platinum Class Visa Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 3,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.
  • The UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Card and UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 10,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.

So if I: 1. Spend $24K on my M+ Explorer -- I earn 1K PQP; 2, Spend another $24K on my M+ Explorer Business -- I earn an additional 1K PQP; and 3. Spend another $24K on my M+ Business Card -- I earn an additional 1K PQP.

That's 3K PQP which count only up to Platinum for $72K spend. Two questions: 1. Can I spend $72K via those 3 cards in any combination and earn the same 3K PQP; and 2) Since my 1K status has just been extended, would those 3K PQP earn 20 PP after reaching 9K PQP in total in 2020?.

I also have the M+ Platinum Class Visa Card. If I spend $72K, I earn 3QK PP -- would those also earn 20 PP after reaching 9K PQP in total in 2020?.

ALGU Apr 5, 2020 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by YRKInsider (Post 32268201)
So if I: 1. Spend $24K on my M+ Explorer -- I earn 1K PQP; 2, Spend another $24K on my M+ Explorer Business -- I earn an additional 1K PQP; and 3. Spend another $24K on my M+ Business Card -- I earn an additional 1K PQP.

That's 3K PQP which count only up to Platinum for $72K spend. Two questions: 1. Can I spend $72K via those 3 cards in any combination and earn the same 3K PQP; and 2) Since my 1K status has just been extended, would those 3K PQP earn 20 PP after reaching 9K PQP in total in 2020?.

I also have the M+ Platinum Class Visa Card. If I spend $72K, I earn 3QK PP -- would those also earn 20 PP after reaching 9K PQP in total in 2020?.

I’m not experienced with actually utilizing spending milestones on the UA cards, so take my interpretations with a grain of salt, but here are my answers:
1) No, due to the cap of 48K spend for 2K PQP for each of the specific cards listed, which is ordinarily capped at 24K spend for 1K PQP. So you must do a minimum of 2 cards.
2) Yes
3) Yes

If I’m wrong, I’m sure the others will correct me. Would also refer you to the card specific FT threads for better visibility and quality responses to your inquiry.

tarheelnj Apr 6, 2020 5:57 am

I would have thought UA would have cut a deal with Chase to make the Club card more valuable and increase UA's revenue share from the card.. The extra PQP doesn't do existing 1K's any good (just like the waived award redeposit fees). The associated Club membership is close to useless even if you are flying, given the number of closed Clubs and limited offerings, plus I don't get an extension because it's not a "purchased" membership. I realize you don't want to create a situation where you can purchase a higher level than you would otherwise qualify for, but isn't UA desperate for cash? They're not going to get it through ticket sales. And will Chase wave or delay my next annual fee charge?

uastarflyer Apr 6, 2020 6:26 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj (Post 32268771)
I would have thought UA would have cut a deal with Chase to make the Club card more valuable and increase UA's revenue share from the card........And will Chase wave or delay my next annual fee charge?

Anecdotal suggests they will wave...buh bye

PsiFighter37 Apr 6, 2020 7:35 am

Wonder if there is no PQP multiplier for the Presidential Plus - it seems like it was explicitly left out of the mentions for the Explorer / Club cards, unless it falls underneath the Club Card designation due to the UC membership one gets.

ffI Apr 6, 2020 7:44 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 32269026)
Wonder if there is no PQP multiplier for the Presidential Plus - it seems like it was explicitly left out of the mentions for the Explorer / Club cards, unless it falls underneath the Club Card designation due to the UC membership one gets.

There is NO real MULTIPLIER for United cards. United is not giving 4 PQP for 24k spend. United is allowing you to earn 4 PDP for 96k spend! - They have increased the TOTAL PQP that you can EARN BY SPEND.
"we're doubling (for United Explorer cards) or quadrupling (for United Club cards) the maximum number of PQP that Cardmembers can earn by using their card during 2020."
If you have 96k to spend today on say masks or ventilators for your hospital, then you get 4k PQP. Anyone spending 96k today will have nothing to worry about in the Great depression ahead and can buy their own plane soon.

PsiFighter37 Apr 6, 2020 7:58 am

Originally Posted by ffI (Post 32269042)
There is NO real MULTIPLIER for United cards. United is not giving 4 PQP for 24k spend. United is allowing you to earn 4 PDP for 96k spend! - They have increased the TOTAL PQP that you can EARN BY SPEND.
"we're doubling (for United Explorer cards) or quadrupling (for United Club cards) the maximum number of PQP that Cardmembers can earn by using their card during 2020."
If you have 96k to spend today on say masks or ventilators for your hospital, then you get 4k PQP. Anyone spending 96k today will have nothing to worry about in the Great depression ahead and can buy their own plane soon.

Ah, so just an increase in the max PQP that can be earned. Doubt the PP sees an increase, then, given how high the cap is relative to the other cards already.

escapefromphl Apr 6, 2020 10:52 am

How is the cc PQP earning going to work? Are they just going to double the limit or are they going to double the earning rate?

ctownflyer Apr 6, 2020 10:58 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl (Post 32269640)
How is the cc PQP earning going to work? Are they just going to double the limit or are they going to double the earning rate?

The limit.

FlyingHighlander Apr 6, 2020 11:41 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl (Post 32269640)

Its quadruple for the Club Card though, right? So if you spend $100k you get 4000 PQP