Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2x PQP for UA Explorer cards & 4x PQP for the UA Club cards from 1 May - 31 Dec 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2020, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
We're also doubling PQP for United Explorer cards and quadrupling PQP for the United Club cards.

At the same time that we're decreasing the published program's PQP requirements, via a promotion from May 1 – December 31, 2020, we're doubling (for United Explorer cards) or quadrupling (for United Club cards) the maximum number of PQP that Cardmembers can earn during 2020 to help achieve a higher level of status than you already have.
Previous these cards could earn a max of 1,000 PQPs annually, at the rate of 500 PQP per $12,000 of card spend.
The new limits for 2020 are 2,000 PQPs for the Explorer card and 4.000 PQPs for the Club card. The earning rate is still 500 PQP per $12,000 of card spend.

Note these PQPs can be used for status up to Premier Platinum. But not for 1K (or GS) status.
From UA

Print Wikipost

2x PQP for UA Explorer cards & 4x PQP for the UA Club cards from 1 May - 31 Dec 2020

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2020, 7:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
however for this promotion starting on May 1st there could be a multiplier for PQP?
Multipler for the cap, not for the rate
Still 500 PQP for every $12,000 but before it was capped for the Club Card at 1,000. Now appears you can earn up to 4,000 PQP --- just takes $96,000 of spend

Update 17 April -- see details in wiki but actual a mixture of rate change and cap change

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 17, 2020 at 4:57 pm Reason: Update 17 April
Old Apr 7, 2020, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
The limit.
This doesn’t seem like a very strong incentive to keep the Club card in one’s wallet.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:49 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
You are right.
I was going to close the Pres Plus card and stay with Club card going forward as I thought all PQP were till 1k - it appears that the Plus has more value for status - less value for miles
Originally Posted by jsloan
None of this is true. Here are the terms: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...oints-pqp.html
None of the cards that can earn PQP toward 1K are currently available to new members.
These were the terms

Instead of offering a waiver for United MileagePlus Chase Cardmembers, we now offer ways to earn PQP through eligible cards to help members reach Premier status faster.
  • Earn up to 1,000 PQP: The United Explorer Card, United Club Card, United Explorer Business Card, United Club Business Card, United MileagePlus Awards Card, United MileagePlus Card, and United MileagePlus Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 1,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to Platinum. THE PQP limit HAS BEEN DOUBLED now for explorer and QUADRUPLED for club (i suspect to make up for lack of clubs).
  • Earn up to 3,000 PQP: The United MileagePlus Select Card and United MileagePlus Platinum Class Visa Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 3,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.
  • Earn up to 10,000 PQP: The United Presidential Plus Card and United Presidential Plus Business Card earn 500 PQP for every $12,000 in card spend, up to 10,000 PQP in a calendar year, that can be applied up to 1K.
  • United TravelBank Cardmembers do not earn PQP for card spend.
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I do not think there is any change at all to the rule that FPQM / FPQP cannot be used towards 1K. The paragraph there simply states that the new PQP earned via CC spend can count towards 1K; any legacy spend (i.e. FPQM/FPQP) cannot be.
Yes. The old Flex PQP is useless for 1k; but the new PQP FROM THOSE CARDS can be applied to 1k
So if you have a PP card and a club card and an explorer card - you can get 10k with PP, 2k now with Club and 1k from explorer = 13k - that can take you close to plat in usual year
Since this year you only need 12k for 1k - you can do it with just the PP card and 4 flights
The amount of PQP earned has increased for the Explorer and Club cards So you can get 4k + 2k = 6k - just 3k more gets you to Plat this year
Old Apr 7, 2020, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffI
So if you have a PP card and a club card and an explorer card - you can get 10k with PP, 2k now with Club and 1k from explorer = 13k - that can take you close to plat in usual year
Correct, but note that it requires $312,000 in spending across those cards. If you're spending $312,000 on credit cards, unless you live in a UA hub city, I'd be considering the SkyMiles Reserve card. At $250K in spending, you'd get a full MQD waiver and 60K MQM, which would get you closer to DL Diamond in a regular year than this scheme gets you to UA 1K, and you'd save close to $500 per year in annual fees. (Also, if you have the PP card and the club card, you've purchased two club memberships to the same club; DL Reserve gets you SkyClub and Centurion Lounge access instead).

Originally Posted by ffI
Since this year you only need 12k for 1k - you can do it with just the PP card and 4 flights
It depends upon the cost of the flights. If you max the spending on the PP card -- by spending $240,000 -- you'd get $10K PQD. You'd still need $2K more.

Originally Posted by ffI
The amount of PQP earned has increased for the Explorer and Club cards So you can get 4k + 2k = 6k - just 3k more gets you to Plat this year
Yes -- for $144,000 in spending.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2020, 8:06 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Agreed. I always thought the DL reserve cards were a much better value
Originally Posted by jsloan
I'd be considering the SkyMiles Reserve card.
It depends upon the cost of the flights. If you max the spending on the PP card -- by spending $240,000 -- you'd get $10K PQD. You'd still need $2K more.
Yes -- for $144,000 in spending.
At this point by spending 240k on Pres Plus you lose 4800$ cash back for 240k miles worth 1c = 2400$ loss
By spending 144k for loss of $2880 cash back you get 144k miles = 1440 net loss
I am not sure if it is worth at all spending anything for status especially on UA when I am not sure they will really make it out alive.

I expect a lot more consolidation in 1-2 yrs so only 3 are left - My bet is on AS or JB to take over AA and Southwest to take over UA and DL to take over anyone .
It all depends on who has cash, how much and how they burn it going forward. AA has a lot of debt, as does UA and AS as well.
Heresy I know, but be prepared for Southwest across the world.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:39 pm

UA Card Spend 2x & 4x means 4000 PQP?

Has anyone confirmed this with the airline? This would be really substantial to many...

United mentions the PQP via credit card spend will double and quadruple, respectively for Chase United and Chase United Club. Does this mean that my calculations below are correct? Effectively normal card members could earn 500 + 500 *2 = 2000 PQP by spending $24k this year on card, and Club card members could earn 500 + 500 * 4 = 4000 PQP by spending $24k this year on card?
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Devon Rogalski
Has anyone confirmed this with the airline? This would be really substantial to many...

United mentions the PQP via credit card spend will double and quadruple, respectively for Chase United and Chase United Club. Does this mean that my calculations below are correct? Effectively normal card members could earn 500 + 500 *2 = 2000 PQP by spending $24k this year on card, and Club card members could earn 500 + 500 * 4 = 4000 PQP by spending $24k this year on card?
They haven't specified the details, but the working assumption is that they're not increasing the rate, but rather raising the cap. So, it would be $48K in spending required to hit the limits, not $24K.

The increase doesn't take effect until May 1, so we'll see what they announce as the date approaches.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:16 pm

Interesting. I could see them raising the cap on the business cards, but I think most would be hard-pressed in this economic environment to find an easy way to spend $48K in 6 months for regular activities given the current shutdown. Let's hope it's the $24K, not the $48K!
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is what was stated
At the same time that we're decreasing the published program's PQP requirements, via a promotion from May 1 – December 31, 2020, we're doubling (for United Explorer cards) or quadrupling (for United Club cards) the maximum number of PQP that Cardmembers can earn during 2020 to help achieve a higher level of status than you already have.
It seems clear it is the cap / maximum that is being referred to.

If this was that the spend earning rate that was changed and the cap / max stayed the same, this would not help much as the caps are relatively low.

Update 17 April -- see details in wiki but actual a mixture of rate change and cap change

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 17, 2020 at 4:58 pm Reason: Update 17 April
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:59 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Devon Rogalski
Let's hope it's the $24K, not the $48K!
It's definitely $48K (or $96K for the Club card), the earn rate is unchanged. I have the old Platinum card which has an unchanged 3K PQP limit for $72K spend. I also have the Explorer card so I wonder if I spent another $48K whether I would get 5K PQP?

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...r/qualify.html

In 2020, we’re doubling the maximum amount of PQP that can be earned on the United℠ Explorer Card, and we’re quadrupling it for the United Club℠ Card.

The upper limit on earn during this promotion will be 1,000 PQP for the United℠ Explorer Card (for a total maximum earning of 2,000 PQP) and 3,000 PQP on the United Club℠ Card (for a total maximum earning of 4,000 PQP). The opportunity to earn these additional PQP begins May 1, 2020, and ends December 31, 2020.

You will earn PQP at the rate of 500 PQP per $12,000 in spend on both cards.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:30 pm

Can we definitely earn PQP separately from both Explorer and Club cards? I'm too used to the old way when PQD waiver was spread across any applicable Chase cards.

So someone who maxed out both cards could earn 6000 PQP?
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
It's definitely $48K (or $96K for the Club card), the earn rate is unchanged. I have the old Platinum card which has an unchanged 3K PQP limit for $72K spend. I also have the Explorer card so I wonder if I spent another $48K whether I would get 5K PQP? ...
Yes, the PQPs from various qualifying cards are stackable.

So 3K PQP for the Plat card and 2K PQP for Explore, for a total of 5K.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 17, 2020 at 3:55 pm
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Is there any guidance whether this applies to the business cards as well?
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:21 pm

It is a earning rate increase contrary to initial wording!!

Earning rate May-December is doubled and new split year cap

and yes business card versions are included

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 17, 2020 at 4:28 pm
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

Earning rate May-December is doubled and new split year cap
Make sure y'all see the note about only applying up to Platinum status. These won't help you get to the lowered 1K PQP threshold. But the older cards do apply to 1K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.