Fare dropped after tickets booked

Old Apr 6, 20, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, UA Premier Platinum
Fare dropped after tickets booked

I have a trip to India booked in August for my family of 4. Since I booked the ticket in January, the fares have dropped ~$2000 for the same flights. Do I have any option to get a refund of the difference, or to cancel and rebook at the lower rate?
Old Apr 6, 20, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLrunner View Post
I have a trip to India booked in August for my family of 4. Since I booked the ticket in January, the fares have dropped ~$2000 for the same flights. Do I have any option to get a refund of the difference, or to cancel and rebook at the lower rate?
Travel may be still restricted or subject to health risks in August
What is in the t&c's for cancellation? {no one on FT know the t&c's you agreed to}
If the price rises do you contact the airline to pay more?
Old Apr 6, 20, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For most tickets booked prior to March 2, you can elect to pay the change fee and rebook to the lower fare. If your tickets are non-refundable, the difference would be returned as an Electronic Travel Credit good for two years. Note that non-refundable fares booked today are being written with a provision where United would keep the difference if the fare were to drop yet again. (FYI: for non-refundable fares, expect to be asked to pay the change fee in new money -- they generally won't subtract it from the amount to be refunded. So, if the change fee is $300 per person, you'd pay $1200 and get a travel credit for $2000.

Some agents may be willing to offer to do this for a $50 administrative fee, instead of the entire change fee, but I believe that policy is only supposed to be good for 30 days after the original ticketing, so it may not apply.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 6, 20, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
For most tickets booked prior to March 2, you can elect to pay the change fee and rebook to the lower fare. If your tickets are non-refundable, the difference would be returned as an Electronic Travel Credit good for two years. Note that non-refundable fares booked today are being written with a provision where United would keep the difference if the fare were to drop yet again. (FYI: for non-refundable fares, expect to be asked to pay the change fee in new money -- they generally won't subtract it from the amount to be refunded. So, if the change fee is $300 per person, you'd pay $1200 and get a travel credit for $2000.

Some agents may be willing to offer to do this for a $50 administrative fee, instead of the entire change fee, but I believe that policy is only supposed to be good for 30 days after the original ticketing, so it may not apply.
yup, the $50 fee is only when the fare drops within 30 days (assuming that is still allowed, anymore). Perhaps a bit OT for the OP, but doesn’t seem that would apply for tickets booked March and after (as presumably UA would keep any residual).

so, yeah, OP, assuming tickets were $500 cheaper per person, and change fee is standard $300 (assuming international Y), then you’d pay the $300 change fee per person in new money, have the full value of the old tickets to use against the new, and receive 4 x $200 ETCs to use - for essentially travel in the next 3 years (ETC is valid for 2 years, for any flight available on the schedule at time of booking, which is almost a year in advance. One note: ETC is only good for UA/UAX-operates flights - so if you wanted to use for next India trip, but it involves an LH segment, or onward domestic India segment on AI or Vistara, you wouldn’t be able to use it for that.
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 6, 20, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, UA Premier Platinum
Update: Called the premier desk. Got the tickets repriced at the lower level and got ETCs for the difference. Also did not have to pay any change fee. I love UA.
Mwenenzi, jsloan, cfischer and 7 others like this.

Last edited by DLrunner; Apr 6, 20 at 3:47 pm
Old Apr 6, 20, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Update: Called the premier desk. Got the tickets repriced at the lower level and got ETCs for the difference. Also did not have to pay any change fee. I love UA.
wow, that's amazing and surprising.
Old Apr 6, 20, 7:07 pm

I thought new policy is no change fees. get an ETC. so sould be easy to reprice any tickets.
Old Apr 6, 20, 7:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by deskover54 View Post
I thought new policy is no change fees. get an ETC. so sould be easy to reprice any tickets.
No

Purchased before 3 March 2020, no change fee if travel starts by 31 May 2020
Purchased starting 3 March 2020 til 30 April 2020, no change fees for next 12 months,

Booked in January, travel in August, no waiver presently
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 11, 20, 5:24 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
So we booked a flight using ETCs on August 14th for travel in February and it looks like the fares have dropped by about $70 for each ticket. I think with the current state of things there is nothing we can do as changes do not result in any residual value being returned (in any form). I just wanted to check to see if my understanding is correct.
Old Sep 11, 20, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by fwfdan View Post
So we booked a flight using ETCs on August 14th for travel in February and it looks like the fares have dropped by about $70 for each ticket. I think with the current state of things there is nothing we can do as changes do not result in any residual value being returned (in any form). I just wanted to check to see if my understanding is correct.
Unless there is a schedule change that causes a significant difference in flight times they may agree to refund you but this far out with Covid still haunting us, I doubt UA will be making schedule changes for Feb any time soon
Old Sep 11, 20, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Is it within 30 days of booking? appears it was
Worth checking if this is still true, Only $50 change fee if fare goes down within 30 days... Did I miss the memo?

But the delta is perhaps too small to bother.
Old Sep 11, 20, 6:29 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Is it within 30 days of booking? appears it was
Worth checking if this is still true, Only $50 change fee if fare goes down within 30 days... Did I miss the memo?

But the delta is perhaps too small to bother.

I assume it is $50 per ticket? If so, might give it a try but would be about $47 combined for the two tickets. Might give a call tomorrow to see.
Old Sep 11, 20, 6:31 pm

I assume it is $50 per ticket?....
Yes
Old Sep 11, 20, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
Unless there is a schedule change that causes a significant difference in flight times they may agree to refund you but this far out with Covid still haunting us, I doubt UA will be making schedule changes for Feb any time soon
It actually already has had a schedule change! Almost 2 hours departure time on outbound (1:50) ... I was very surprised (and pleased with) the change.
Old Sep 12, 20, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Just cancel, get the $ as an ETC, and rebook. No fussing with change fees.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: