Fare dropped after tickets booked

Old Apr 6, 20, 2:30 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Takoma Park, MD
Programs: Marriott Plat, UA Premier Platinum
Posts: 487
Fare dropped after tickets booked

I have a trip to India booked in August for my family of 4. Since I booked the ticket in January, the fares have dropped ~$2000 for the same flights. Do I have any option to get a refund of the difference, or to cancel and rebook at the lower rate?
DLrunner is offline  
Old Apr 6, 20, 2:34 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 16,156
Originally Posted by DLrunner View Post
I have a trip to India booked in August for my family of 4. Since I booked the ticket in January, the fares have dropped ~$2000 for the same flights. Do I have any option to get a refund of the difference, or to cancel and rebook at the lower rate?
Travel may be still restricted or subject to health risks in August
What is in the t&c's for cancellation? {no one on FT know the t&c's you agreed to}
If the price rises do you contact the airline to pay more?
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Apr 6, 20, 2:38 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 13,961
Originally Posted by DLrunner View Post
I have a trip to India booked in August for my family of 4. Since I booked the ticket in January, the fares have dropped ~$2000 for the same flights. Do I have any option to get a refund of the difference, or to cancel and rebook at the lower rate?
For most tickets booked prior to March 2, you can elect to pay the change fee and rebook to the lower fare. If your tickets are non-refundable, the difference would be returned as an Electronic Travel Credit good for two years. Note that non-refundable fares booked today are being written with a provision where United would keep the difference if the fare were to drop yet again. (FYI: for non-refundable fares, expect to be asked to pay the change fee in new money -- they generally won't subtract it from the amount to be refunded. So, if the change fee is $300 per person, you'd pay $1200 and get a travel credit for $2000.

Some agents may be willing to offer to do this for a $50 administrative fee, instead of the entire change fee, but I believe that policy is only supposed to be good for 30 days after the original ticketing, so it may not apply.
SPN Lifer likes this.
jsloan is online now  
Old Apr 6, 20, 3:14 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: CVG
Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Posts: 12,049
Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
For most tickets booked prior to March 2, you can elect to pay the change fee and rebook to the lower fare. If your tickets are non-refundable, the difference would be returned as an Electronic Travel Credit good for two years. Note that non-refundable fares booked today are being written with a provision where United would keep the difference if the fare were to drop yet again. (FYI: for non-refundable fares, expect to be asked to pay the change fee in new money -- they generally won't subtract it from the amount to be refunded. So, if the change fee is $300 per person, you'd pay $1200 and get a travel credit for $2000.

Some agents may be willing to offer to do this for a $50 administrative fee, instead of the entire change fee, but I believe that policy is only supposed to be good for 30 days after the original ticketing, so it may not apply.
yup, the $50 fee is only when the fare drops within 30 days (assuming that is still allowed, anymore). Perhaps a bit OT for the OP, but doesn’t seem that would apply for tickets booked March and after (as presumably UA would keep any residual).

so, yeah, OP, assuming tickets were $500 cheaper per person, and change fee is standard $300 (assuming international Y), then you’d pay the $300 change fee per person in new money, have the full value of the old tickets to use against the new, and receive 4 x $200 ETCs to use - for essentially travel in the next 3 years (ETC is valid for 2 years, for any flight available on the schedule at time of booking, which is almost a year in advance. One note: ETC is only good for UA/UAX-operates flights - so if you wanted to use for next India trip, but it involves an LH segment, or onward domestic India segment on AI or Vistara, you wouldn’t be able to use it for that.
jsloan likes this.
emcampbe is offline  
Old Apr 6, 20, 3:15 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Takoma Park, MD
Programs: Marriott Plat, UA Premier Platinum
Posts: 487
Update: Called the premier desk. Got the tickets repriced at the lower level and got ETCs for the difference. Also did not have to pay any change fee. I love UA.
Mwenenzi, jsloan, cfischer and 7 others like this.

Last edited by DLrunner; Apr 6, 20 at 3:47 pm
DLrunner is offline  
Old Apr 6, 20, 5:40 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 25,615
Originally Posted by DLrunner View Post
Update: Called the premier desk. Got the tickets repriced at the lower level and got ETCs for the difference. Also did not have to pay any change fee. I love UA.
wow, that's amazing and surprising.
cfischer is offline  
Old Apr 6, 20, 7:07 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 315
I thought new policy is no change fees. get an ETC. so sould be easy to reprice any tickets.
deskover54 is offline  
Old Apr 6, 20, 7:26 pm
  #8  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 51,754
Originally Posted by deskover54 View Post
I thought new policy is no change fees. get an ETC. so sould be easy to reprice any tickets.
No

Purchased before 3 March 2020, no change fee if travel starts by 31 May 2020
Purchased starting 3 March 2020 til 30 April 2020, no change fees for next 12 months,

Booked in January, travel in August, no waiver presently
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Sep 11, 20, 5:24 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NOVA
Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Posts: 2,358
So we booked a flight using ETCs on August 14th for travel in February and it looks like the fares have dropped by about $70 for each ticket. I think with the current state of things there is nothing we can do as changes do not result in any residual value being returned (in any form). I just wanted to check to see if my understanding is correct.
fwfdan is offline  
Old Sep 11, 20, 5:47 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 9,552
Originally Posted by fwfdan View Post
So we booked a flight using ETCs on August 14th for travel in February and it looks like the fares have dropped by about $70 for each ticket. I think with the current state of things there is nothing we can do as changes do not result in any residual value being returned (in any form). I just wanted to check to see if my understanding is correct.
Unless there is a schedule change that causes a significant difference in flight times they may agree to refund you but this far out with Covid still haunting us, I doubt UA will be making schedule changes for Feb any time soon
fly747first is offline  
Old Sep 11, 20, 6:00 pm
  #11  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 51,754
Originally Posted by fwfdan View Post
So we booked a flight using ETCs on August 14th for travel in February and it looks like the fares have dropped by about $70 for each ticket. I think with the current state of things there is nothing we can do as changes do not result in any residual value being returned (in any form). I just wanted to check to see if my understanding is correct.
Is it within 30 days of booking? appears it was
Worth checking if this is still true, Only $50 change fee if fare goes down within 30 days... Did I miss the memo?

But the delta is perhaps too small to bother.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Sep 11, 20, 6:29 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NOVA
Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Posts: 2,358
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Is it within 30 days of booking? appears it was
Worth checking if this is still true, Only $50 change fee if fare goes down within 30 days... Did I miss the memo?

But the delta is perhaps too small to bother.

I assume it is $50 per ticket? If so, might give it a try but would be about $47 combined for the two tickets. Might give a call tomorrow to see.
fwfdan is offline  
Old Sep 11, 20, 6:31 pm
  #13  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 51,754
Originally Posted by fwfdan View Post
I assume it is $50 per ticket?....
Yes
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Sep 11, 20, 6:56 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NOVA
Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Posts: 2,358
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
Unless there is a schedule change that causes a significant difference in flight times they may agree to refund you but this far out with Covid still haunting us, I doubt UA will be making schedule changes for Feb any time soon
It actually already has had a schedule change! Almost 2 hours departure time on outbound (1:50) ... I was very surprised (and pleased with) the change.
fwfdan is offline  
Old Sep 12, 20, 9:31 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jersey Shore/YYZ
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Posts: 12,436
Just cancel, get the $ as an ETC, and rebook. No fussing with change fees.
aacharya is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: