Upgrades and social distancing?

Old Apr 4, 2020, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Upgrades and social distancing?

Taking a flight to LAX on Monday and my upgrade on a 737 already cleared. Right now half the business class are taken about 1 person each row. I see quite a few people on the upgrade list and was wondering how that will work when social distancing is being implemented. I remember reading how people within 2 rows of you are in the infection zone.

Will United clear those and give them business class seats and if someone doesn't feel comfortable sitting next to someone they can just get up and move back? Or will United just not clear that many seats?
Old Apr 4, 2020, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by LReyes66
Will United clear those and give them business class seats and if someone doesn't feel comfortable sitting next to someone they can just get up and move back? Or will United just not clear that many seats?
They'll clear people and leave it up to the passengers to spread out.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA1K/2MM,Hertz PC
Upgrade and socail distancing?

On my flight this past week this was not practiced. As I was the only person on a paid upgrade (everyone else on the upgrade list were upgraded) that they sat someone next to me. I was rather shocked and when I questioned the FA she said that I could move back to this empty flight but would not be reimbursed for my payment to First or pay for the whole row ? Disappointed !!
Old Apr 4, 2020, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rtaka
On my flight this past week this was not practiced. As I was the only person on a paid upgrade (everyone else on the upgrade list were upgraded) that they sat someone next to me. I was rather shocked and when I questioned the FA she said that I could move back to this empty flight but would not be reimbursed for my payment to First or pay for the whole row ? Disappointed !!
As they cut down the number of routes, it's scary to see how many people will be on this flight.
mikeyf likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
wait, so you blame UA for this? Funny. You expect UA to not only offer a cheap upgrade but give you 2 for the price of 1? If you want two seats and an entire row then you book that ... it's simple.
mikeyf, Often1, bubbashow and 8 others like this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Can you point to a rule or regulation that prohibits any and every seat on the airplane from be filled???? You paid for a F seat not two. If you don't want someone sitting next to you, United will let you purchase the adjacent one.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 5:42 pm

Honestly, outside of the psychological effect, I heard a very long time ago that on a wide body, it only takes 2 hours for everybody to get in contact with a respiratory virus if someone infected is in the plane
It does not necessarily mean that everybody will get ill, but for sure you get in contact in a way....
more recent experiment here:

Bring your own mask and eat and drink before the flight

Be safe all
Old Apr 4, 2020, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
wait, so you blame UA for this? Funny. You expect UA to not only offer a cheap upgrade but give you 2 for the price of 1? If you want two seats and an entire row then you book that ... it's simple.
What UA should have done was limit the number of free upgrades to allow enough distance from paid upgraders.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 5:57 pm

With limited service in F and planes going out almost empty...the last thing I would recommend right now is paying anything extra for a seat in F.

Save the money, grab an entire row in Y, and call it a day.

Alaska has started limiting the number of F seats available for distancing. Its possible United may do that at some point, but I wouldnt expect it unless they explicitly say they are doing so ahead of time.
mikeyf and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
All passengers are voluntarily flying and therefore must accept that they will be seated next to someone. It's simple - if you don't accept it, don't fly.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 7:10 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1k, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, National Exec Elite
I recently flew LAX-SFO in first on an a320. There were 12 on the upgrade list but I still had an empty seat next to me. Turns out there were a handful of flight crew commuting in first with about three upgraded passengers.

Also went to the LAX United Club, I was literally the only customer in there and this was in the afternoon. Never seen anything like it.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 7:14 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
They'll clear people and leave it up to the passengers to spread out.
judging by the arms of my seatmate they already do
Old Apr 4, 2020, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by davie355
What UA should have done was limit the number of free upgrades to allow enough distance from paid upgraders.
hell no. A free upgrader may be the much much better customer for UA and may have paid a lot more for the ticket in the first place. What's next ... I am flying with my $12k last minute full J ticket and I demand that I have the entire cabin to myself? Ridiculous thought.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by davie355
Seems like the better answer is that UA should stop selling paid upgrades. Premiers understand they are entitled to one seat.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If one wanted to abide by social distancing rules, one could seat a passenger in every second window and that's it. Leaving an empty seat doesn't cut it and should not provide any false sense of security. In a 4-row F cabin, there would be 4 passengers, each of the 4 windows in Rows 1 & 4, with the bulkhead in Y blocked as well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.