Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Did UA (crew) really refuse to fly Zaandam cruise ship passengers?

Old Apr 4, 20, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt

Old Apr 4, 20, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Not much they could do. With no cabin crew, they would have had to cancel the flight for everyone.
Old Apr 4, 20, 12:07 pm

Programs: United 1K
Honestly, this should have been a charter flight paid by the cruise line with all the logistics worked out. There was a CDC directive to defer all cruise travel worldwide that went into effect March 17. This is pure negligence on the cruise line for not getting people off the boat immediately. They had plenty of time to work on a solution. These people are required to be quarantined by the directive so I support the crews' decision.
Old Apr 4, 20, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer View Post
These people are required to be quarantined by the directive so I support the crews' decision.
It's an unprecedented, unfortunate situation, but this is what should happen, and indeed SHOULD have happened before boarding a commercial flight.
Old Apr 4, 20, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTE, BA Bronze
I also support the crew's decision, as difficult as it may have been to make.
Old Apr 4, 20, 1:22 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
When I travel to SYD, it is to go and see my parents who are in their 80s. If I were on that flight I would not want people coming off that cruise ship being on my flight. Kudos to the Untied crew for looking after the welfare of the other passengers and shame on United for allowing the cruiseline to book the returning pax on a regular flight.

There are a number of Australians who are trying to get home as it is expected Australia is going to close their borders (and is asking all non-citizens/residents, i.e. tourists to leave Australia). Everyone returning to Australia needs to go into quarantine for fourteen days but that is to protect the larger community. I do everything I can to isolate myself before traveling during these COVID19 times and I certainly do not want to be on a plane with people off a cruise known to have the COVID19 virus.

Those pax were lucky there was a hotel willing to take them - imagine the cleaning the housekeeping folks are going to need to do.
SPN Lifer, tuolumne and nancypants like this.
Old Apr 4, 20, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
What is wrong with those people - they are honestly complaining about meal vouchers during this crisis?
Old Apr 4, 20, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
FWIW I agree, the cruise ship should have arranged private charter, and as a regular flyer I support the airlines doing what is best for the safety of their crew and customers.

In my current job we are trying to restart some things and concern for the employee has trumped all business items.
SPN Lifer and JetBunny like this.
Old Apr 4, 20, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
I agree with all the views expressed by the posters before me.

I would question what role United has played in this mess. I am not questioning the crew or the poor customer services agent at SFO.

Did United accept the bookings from the cruise-line company without informing the crew and customer services folks?

Perhaps it is the sales department at United not doing enough due diligence or planning before accepting the bookings/
IF the bookings were made in advance of the outbreak, United should aggressively monitor the situation and how it could impact the safety of its crews and staff.

I am with the crew who refuse to fly, and United should not put its employees in this situation in the first place.
wrp96 and Silver Fox like this.
Old Apr 4, 20, 1:56 pm

These people took a cruise when they knew the safe thing to do was cancel their trip. Things went very wrong for them and that's unfortunate but I'm not sure why exposing others to a potentially deadly disease should be considered OK....
Old Apr 4, 20, 1:58 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
What is wrong with those people - they are honestly complaining about meal vouchers during this crisis?
Yes, as it seems that there only food was the breakfast. Without a working restaurant there only other option is to leave the hotel and find a store or the like. So if you were hungry during that breakfast period it does make it feel like someone is trying to take advantage of your situation.
Old Apr 4, 20, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Raymoland View Post
These people took a cruise when they knew the safe thing to do was cancel their trip.
That was not the case when they boarded. Hindsight, like the year, is 20/20.
Old Apr 4, 20, 2:03 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Raymoland View Post
These people took a cruise when they knew the safe thing to do was cancel their trip. Things went very wrong for them and that's unfortunate but I'm not sure why exposing others to a potentially deadly disease should be considered OK....
Sunk cost. At that point if they couldn't easily cancel most stuff around it. People don't want to feel regret for wasting money.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 4, 20 at 2:08 pm Reason: Discuss the issue, not the poster(s); FT Rule 12.2
Old Apr 4, 20, 2:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
As a point of information,
March 7: Holland America Line ship Zaandam leaves Buenos Aires on 14-day itinerary, original destination Chile
March 21: Zaandam turned away from original end-destination in Chile, where it was set to begin a 20-day cruise ending in Fort Lauderdale

So the passengers never figured traveling via USA was in their future.

But as this was posted in the UA forum, let's stay focussed on the UA related part of the dicussion

For other discussion, please use the forums
Cruises
or Coronavirus and travel
where the odyssey of these passengers have been discussed

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Apr 4, 20, 2:42 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
It appears this article below, the group arrived in SFO on one of several charter flights. It would be interesting to know what information, if any, was given to UA when the SYD passengers were booked into this scheduled flight. I've had worse rebooking & accommodation experiences than this with airlines, as most of us have, but I'm sure it was much more frustrating for these folks.

https://www.businessinsider.com/holl...details-2020-4
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 4, 20 at 4:02 pm Reason: REmoved non UA content per Moderator note

Search this Thread
Search Engine: