Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID - UA Extends Subscriptions (UC, E+ access, WiFi, Bag) by 6 mths, 2nd UC 6 mths

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2020, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Yes, subscriptions extended by 6 months

[5 April 2020] United will extend Premier status for 12 months (SF Gate):
United will announce on Sunday that it is extending elite status to MileagePlus Premier members through 2021 and members will retain their current status through January 2022. This follows a similar move by Delta Air Lines on April 4 to extend SkyMiles Medallion elite status to 2021.

A United spokesperson has confirmed this to SFGATE, adding: "We are also going to help both general members and members who want to reach the next status level by lowering thresholds for Premier Qualifying Points (PQP’s) for the 2021 status year."

In addition to the elite status extension, United will extend all its annual subscription options by six months, including United Club memberships, wi-fi, checked bags and EconomyPlus, according to the spokesperson.
An update on your Premier status and more

Dear XXXX,

I hope this note finds you, your family and your friends safe and healthy during these unprecedented times. Across United®, we continue to support those in need — providing safe air travel, repatriating customers around the world and transporting critically needed supplies and cargo. In every instance, in every possible way, we're committed to the safety and care of every one of our customers and colleagues.

When I wrote to you just a few weeks ago on how MileagePlus® is responding to the effects of COVID-19, I promised that we would continue to evaluate and assess our approach, especially as it relates to your Premier® status, and to stay in touch to share further updates. Throughout this crisis, we remain committed to doing what is right and fair for all of our members, and I am pleased to share the steps we are taking to reciprocate the trust and loyalty that you have placed in United. These steps include not only Premier status updates, but also an extension of current memberships and subscriptions.

The big news: Your current 2020 Premier status will be extended to January 31, 2022.

At a minimum, you will enjoy the same published status next year that you have today, up to Premier 1K®. (You will see this reflected in your account in the coming weeks.)

There's more: Your 2020 Premier qualifying points (PQP) activity may allow you to reach a higher status.
Knowing that your current status is intact for next year is important, but if you want to earn higher than your current status, we've reduced the PQP and flight requirements for all tiers by 50%. (You'll still need a minimum of four flight segments on United or United Express®.)
This means that travels you already completed this year, as well as travel you take later this year, can help you reach a higher published status for next year.

We're also doubling PQP for the United Explorer cards and quadrupling PQP for the United Club cards.
At the same time that we're decreasing the published program's PQP requirements, via a promotion from May 1 through December 31, 2020, we're doubling (for United Explorer cards) or quadrupling (for United Club cards) the maximum number of PQP that Cardmembers can earn by using their card during 2020 to help achieve a higher level of status than you already have. More details to come.

1K and Platinum members, we're increasing your ability to upgrade by extending PlusPoints expiration dates by six months and expanding Skip Waitlist.
This means a six-month extension of any PlusPoints set to expire on or before January 31, 2021.
Last year we introduced Skip Waitlist as a benefit to 1K members, giving you more opportunities to confirm an upgrade request at the time of booking. This benefit will now be available for the rest of 2020 in a significantly expanded selection of long-haul international regions and will have expanded availability in 2021 as well.

We're extending all annual membership and subscription benefits by six months.
We want to make sure your benefits are still there when you're ready to start flying again. That's why we're extending United Club memberships purchased directly from United and purchased subscriptions for Economy Plus®, United Wi‑Fi and checked bags by six months. You will see this reflected in your MileagePlus account soon.

All electronic travel certificates now have 24 months to be used.
If your travel plans have been disrupted, and you have an electronic travel certificate from us for the value of your ticket, you now have two years from the date it was issued to book a new flight, as well as up to an additional 11 months to travel. This includes all currently valid and all new electronic travel certificates issued on or after April 1, 2020.

We have removed some redeposit fees for the rest of the year.
We are currently waiving all award redeposit fees for travel through end of May 2020.
We are now also waiving all redeposit fees for award ticket cancellations made more than 30 days before departure for the remainder of 2020.

Finally, we'll be making it easier to earn status in 2021 for the 2022 program year. We recognize that getting back to travel will occur at a different pace for different members. Keep an eye out for changes we will make to help you earn status in 2021 for 2022, as we'll share details later this year.

Over the years, you have placed your trust and loyalty in United, and we are honored to do the same for you. We are all in this together.

As always, thank you for your continued relationship. I look forward to seeing many of you on board when we all return to travel.

Until then, stay healthy and be well.

Luc Bondar
Vice President, Loyalty and President of MileagePlus
United Airlines

Print Wikipost

COVID - UA Extends Subscriptions (UC, E+ access, WiFi, Bag) by 6 mths, 2nd UC 6 mths

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:50 am
RNE
Original Poster

My having starting this thread scared UA into doing the right thing.

RNE, making CEOs quake in their wingtips.
WIRunner likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I will, however I will only write after my statement closes on the 20th, in case they proactively do something.
Looking forward to hear that they tell you.

6 month deferral of the fee would be nice or the next year at half-off.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Has anyone seen a UC membership extension in their account? Mine expired 3/31. Under DL's rules, it would be extended 6 months. UA hasn't published the rules it will be applying.

Mostly a theoretical question, as I haven't been in a UC in 2020 and don't know that I will even if they extend it, but curious nonetheless.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 11:16 am
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Has anyone seen a UC membership extension in their account? Mine expired 3/31.
Did UA promise to extend already-expired accounts?

Anyway, no, my June 28-expiring E+ subscription still shows that date. But UA said it would take a while to process the extensions. The delay is probably due to blown vacuum tubes in their computer.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:20 am

My paid club membership is now showing the six month extension.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by time_stamp
My paid club membership is now showing the six month extension.
Just looked, same for me.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
My Club membership through the Club Visa has not been extended 6 months in the app.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
My Club membership through the Club Visa has not been extended 6 months in the app.
Im guessing it was easy for paid membership vs. credit card ones. Still waiting to see updated elite status, which I’m sure is more complex as well.
Old May 1, 2020, 12:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Bumping my observation

I wrote Chase to see if they can give me any concession on the Annual Fee and in the response they said UA would extend subscription by 6 months. Still isn’t showing on my MP account on the app as extended

Oh, they also told me to pound sand so I will be closing the card...
Old May 1, 2020, 12:07 pm
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RNE
...my June 28-expiring E+ subscription still shows that date. But UA said it would take a while to process the extensions. The delay is probably due to blown vacuum tubes in their computer.
Just noticed my E+ subscription has been extended for 6 months.

RNE, concluding UA's IT Department finally found replacements for those blown vacuum tubes.
Old May 1, 2020, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RNE
RNE, concluding UA's IT Department finally found replacements for those blown vacuum tubes.
Wrong conclusion - that's what UA is looking to upgrade to (eventually). The Kirby Machine is still functioning...
RNE likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2020, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Clearly, nobody really flying and using wifi. But, i thought i'd post a funny email I received from United today. It's said, you're subscription is about to EXPIRE. Well, I hadn't had anything other than Monthly subscriptions for anytime in 2019 and early 2020, so I thought heck, didn't I somehow buy an annual at some point and not notice it on my company card? reading a bit further, the email said "your monthly subscription that was extended SIX months for free will expire in Sept 20, 2020".

NICE, but of course I haven't been on a plane since 2/20/20. And, I never ever ever received ANY email that said anything like "HEY, we're extending your United Wifi suscription six months at no additional cost to you!" Not that I would have used it, but funny NTL.

I’m surprised they did this with even monthly subscriptions, but for some it might have been nice. This was the message. “We know you might not be traveling as much as you used to, but we wanted to let you know that the extra six months we added to your Monthly Wi-Fi subscription are almost up. Your subscription will expire on September 14, 2020, so if you'd like to keep enjoying your subscription, please log in to your”

Last edited by nmenaker; Aug 22, 2020 at 8:46 am
Old Aug 20, 2020, 5:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Received an email on 5 April about extending status, PlusPoints, ETCs and ALL subscriptions
We're extending all annual membership and subscription benefits by six months.
We want to make sure your benefits are still there when you're ready to start flying again. That's why we're extending United Club℠ memberships purchased directly from United and purchased subscriptions for Economy Plus®, United Wi‑Fi℠ and checked bags by six months. You will see this reflected in your MileagePlus account soon.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 10:55 am
RNE
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Received an email on 5 April about extending status, PlusPoints, ETCs and ALL subscriptions
Any word about extensions for holders of the Chase United Club card?
Old Aug 21, 2020, 11:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RNE
Any word about extensions for holders of the Chase United Club card?
No joy from Chase --Chase MP Club creditcard - Benefits, Q&A,...(none or maybe $100 AF discount for 2020)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.