Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australia to NYC with UA miles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Australia to NYC with UA miles

I am trying to get back to the states from AUS...currently United is only one offering service but I only have miles in OneWorld - what is the best way to get a Business Class seat with miles? If I were to buy a coach ticket how many miles would it cost to upgrade? Or are there other avenues I should explore? Thanks in advance for help!
Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jjv5007
I am trying to get back to the states from AUS...currently United is only one offering service but I only have miles in OneWorld - what is the best way to get a Business Class seat with miles? If I were to buy a coach ticket how many miles would it cost to upgrade? ...
For most economy fares it takes 30,000 UA miles plus a copay fee starting $600 for the lowest economy slight decrease for higher fares. You have to get to very expensive fares for the copay to disappear, see the chart here
Note UA's Premium Economy (PremiumPlus) is 30,000 UA miles (no copay) from discount economy

A pure mileage ticket for business class could be as lower as 80K (but that is rarely available) up to 200K UA miles.

Or are there other avenues I should explore? ...
A flat cash only upgrade might be offered, not sure what it is running nowadays but it probably will just under $1K

You non-UA miles can not be used on UA, {for upgrading discount economy fares}

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 1, 2020 at 11:59 pm
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
I am trying to get back to the states from AUS...currently United is only one offering service but I only have miles in OneWorld - what is the best way to get a Business Class seat with miles? If I were to buy a coach ticket how many miles would it cost to upgrade? Or are there other avenues I should explore? Thanks in advance for help!
If you can swing an economy ticket on UA for cash,I suspect you will have lots of room to yourself. Not business class, but at least you can spread out.
therossinator likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When do you want to travel? Soon? If soon people are taking what ever they can get.
LATAM (Oneworld until end April) and Qatar (OW) may be an options. Or via Japan.
With COVID-19 the way it is, Australia would be safer than NYC

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...s-to-australia

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 2, 2020 at 12:49 am Reason: added QR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.