The Fate of United Hemispheres Magazine?

Old Apr 1, 20, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
The Fate of United Hemispheres Magazine?

Just learned that Delta will discontinue its Sky magazine and lay off all the staff.

The government bailout only covers airlines employees not contract employees working on in-flight magazine.

Not sure about others, but I have enjoyed reading the Hemisphere and its online publications for the past thirty years. Hope it does not go away, but I do understand the economics of keeping it when there is no demand at the moment.

It seems there are a lot of advertisers for Hemisphere but again, adverts may be cut back in the current economic challenging environment.
Old Apr 1, 20, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Just received and email that Hemisphere is available online.
rmadisonwi likes this.
Old Apr 1, 20, 9:40 am

Programs: Northwest WorldPerks, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
Just received and email that Hemisphere is available online.
But we can't sign the "voices" page online.
Old Apr 1, 20, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used to cut Sudoku puzzles out the newspapers at the UCs for my flights. Then I was down to Hemisphere's...
Silver Fox and denver19 like this.
Old Apr 1, 20, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
It hasn't added any value to my onboard experience ever. Just ditch it. Oh. Hang on. Advertisers. And I know who the best surgeons are in New Jersey/Florida/wherever.
Old Apr 1, 20, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
It hasn't added any value to my onboard experience ever. Just ditch it. Oh. Hang on. Advertisers. And I know who the best surgeons are in New Jersey/Florida/wherever.
I love the shirtless 74 year old bodybuilder doctor and the plastic surgeon with fake teeth!
cricketer, djmp, EWR764 and 9 others like this.
Old Apr 1, 20, 12:27 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
I love the shirtless 74 year old bodybuilder doctor and the plastic surgeon with fake teeth!
Nah, the best ads were for Doctor Brown, the hand surgeon. Known for repeatedly assaulting his wives. And later for choking a flight attendant.
Old Apr 1, 20, 1:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, United Silver
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
Oh yeah, I also know who the best dating services are for busy professionals are too.
Old Apr 1, 20, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Yeah will not really impact me the three perfect days articles were not even that great, could have planned three "more" perfect days by using FT and TripAdvisor
tombak2004 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 20, 2:21 pm

Programs: Many, but currently grounded.
Honestly I think it would be neat if they mailed Hemispheres out to elite customers while most of us are grounded. Would be a nice bit of normalcy as everything around us feels different.
kirkwoodj and tombak2004 like this.
Old Apr 1, 20, 2:24 pm

Programs: Northwest WorldPerks, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer View Post
Honestly I think it would be neat if they mailed Hemispheres out to elite customers while most of us are grounded. Would be a nice bit of normalcy as everything around us feels different.
I'd be fine if they just emailed me the link. I don't need any more paper cluttering up my desk, and the postage costs would be pretty hefty at a time when they're trying to cut costs.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, cruisr and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 1, 20, 2:26 pm

Programs: Many, but currently grounded.
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi View Post
I'd be fine if they just emailed me the link. I don't need any more paper cluttering up my desk, and the postage costs would be pretty hefty at a time when they're trying to cut costs.
Totally understand part about not wanting mail. (Wish I could unsubscribe from Departures without cancelling my Amex Plat tbh. At the same time theoretically Hemispheres sells enough ads to generate revenue to offset costs of printing + distribution.
Old Apr 1, 20, 2:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Hemispheres online link
There may be a better link, but scroll down a bit and issues are available. This link has 10+ years of issues (back 2009)
April 2020 has 3-days in DC.
Old Apr 1, 20, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA
On a side note, none of my flights this last weekend had the magazine in the seats, was that part of the virus response?
Old Apr 1, 20, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by whitethunder View Post
Yeah will not really impact me the three perfect days articles were not even that great, could have planned three "more" perfect days by using FT and TripAdvisor
Totally agree. I love reading trip reports but I never liked these. Oddly enough, the back 1/3 with the in-flight information is my favorite part.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: