Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Fate of UA Hemispheres Magazine, mailed copy stopping May 2021, back on planes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fate of UA Hemispheres Magazine, mailed copy stopping May 2021, back on planes

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2020, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
And the UA FlyerTalker's need for Hemispheres:

UAL Flyers' Game: FlyerTalk Member Sign in Hemispheres [2013 & forward]

David
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 10:14 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I like the airport maps. If I'm visiting somewhere I don't go often they remind me where the clubs are.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by phkc070408
Totally agree. I love reading trip reports but I never liked these. Oddly enough, the back 1/3 with the in-flight information is my favorite part.
I like that part, too. I sometimes doodle by modifying the planes. Sometimes, I lengthen them. Other times, I add an engine, like the one on the tail of a MD-11. Still other times, I add routes that are plausible and that I would like to see, such as SFO-CTS (Sapporo, Japan)

Once I saw a partially completed crossword puzzle. There was a four letter profanity that sort of made sense with the clue.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by CMK10
I like the airport maps. If I'm visiting somewhere I don't go often they remind me where the clubs are.
The United App has a lot more maps, with search feature.

I used to look at the fleet pages and the route maps of inflight magazines, but in recent years usually don’t touch the stuff in the sea pocket anymore (except, perhaps, to throw the stuff in the overhead bin).

I used to read the perfect days articles, but somehow they just are not that interesting anymore. I think having an iPad with near unlimited media (books, news, videos, podcasts) makes the magazines less useful.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
The United App has a lot more maps, with search feature.

I used to look at the fleet pages and the route maps of inflight magazines, but in recent years usually don’t touch the stuff in the sea pocket anymore (except, perhaps, to throw the stuff in the overhead bin).

I used to read the perfect days articles, but somehow they just are not that interesting anymore. I think having an iPad with near unlimited media (books, news, videos, podcasts) makes the magazines less useful.
Perhaps the app can provide more map info - if the wifi is working. Also it is slow. And you have to search.

Once I'm onboard, I want to find info and Hemispheres provides this. Especially if either my phone or iPad is running low on power and/or (as usual) no wifi.

David
SPN Lifer and CMK10 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Pre merger Hemispheres was a very real award winning magazine with decades of beautiful original cover art. Printed on quality paper, too. Post merger the need to integrate two airline magazines netted us a product with most of the quality of Hemispheres, but no more unique art covers, downgraded paper quality and more "cheeky" advertising from the CO side. The iPad app version was outstanding for a time and then abruptly killed. No longer could you download new issues. Now it's slimmer, has less quality content and even more thin paper and more advertising. We also lost Rhaposdy which I actually appreciated because it reminded me of pre-merger Hemispheres. Ah well...
tuolumne likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by DELee
Perhaps the app can provide more map info - if the wifi is working. Also it is slow. And you have to search.

Once I'm onboard, I want to find info and Hemispheres provides this. Especially if either my phone or iPad is running low on power and/or (as usual) no wifi.

David
whatever works for you. Just offering alternatives for those who may not know.

(also, my phone and iPad don’t need WiFi before the door closes and after touch-down)
Old Apr 3, 2020, 4:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
.... No longer could you download new issues. ...
The present and past 10 years of issues are downloadable today
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Hemispheres online link
There may be a better link, but scroll down a bit and issues are available. This link has 10+ years of issues (back 2009)
April 2020 has 3-days in DC.
The truth is nearly all such traditional magazines have been suffering, as many readers no longer like the "physical" magazine format and advertisers have moved their $$$$ elsewhere. For these types of magazines, it is when, not if, they are discontinued.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 3, 2020 at 5:18 pm Reason: rephrased
Old Apr 3, 2020, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like the route maps. They help me figure out my next trip.
SPN Lifer, DELee and mrt88 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards

The truth is nearly all such traditional magazines have been suffering, as many readers no longer like the "physical" magazine format and advertisers have moved their $$$$ elsewhere. For these types of magazines, it is when, not if, they are discontinued.
Also, paper is 1. expensive to print on (vs an e-copy) 2. it's heavy, thus expensive to move. 3. it gets damaged a lot easier.

One of the few upsides to paper is that it's usually cheaper just to buy another copy than it is to duplicate (photocopier), something that is probably not a concern to Hemispheres.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 5:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
While that is nice the iPad app was infinitely easier to use and kept things neatly organized. Now you have to select pages/all download a PDF and manage where you put it.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 9:34 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
While that is nice the iPad app was infinitely easier to use and kept things neatly organized. Now you have to select pages/all download a PDF and manage where you put it.
Which is more useful for the majority of us that are not Apple customers
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: United Global Services 3MM, Marriott Ambassador, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry/NEXUS
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I would always be amazed to find that each of these places serves THE BEST STEAKS IN AMERICA. In my view you can't beat Bern's in Tampa (in part because of the wine list), but that's a bit of a drive from our place. I don't recall Peter Luger ever being on that list, but based on my last visit about 18 months ago, that place has gone way down in quality. Sorry, all OT.
+1
Old Apr 4, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
There would not be unrelated people sitting in both Row 22 A & B today because of social distancing.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 11:28 pm

Looks like the Hemispheres magazine will be mailed to Premier Plat, 1K, and GS members starting with the August edition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.