Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The Fate of UA Hemispheres Magazine, mailed copy stopping May 2021, back on planes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fate of UA Hemispheres Magazine, mailed copy stopping May 2021, back on planes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2020, 12:32 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by az22
Looks like the Hemispheres magazine will be mailed to Premier Plat, 1K, and GS members starting with the August edition.
Printed or electronic?
Old Jul 31, 2020, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I have been wondering what the route map in the Hemisphere would look like during Covid-19 period.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Looks like the Hemispheres magazine will be mailed to Premier Plat, 1K, and GS members starting with the August edition.
That's interesting. In my case, UA will mail the Hemispheres on its space-constrained cargo-only flight to Hong Kong.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 5:06 am

Can’t wait for the “THREE PERFECT DAYS: AT HOME” article.
cawhite, Xyzzy, ctownflyer and 7 others like this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
LOL!

I am looking for "14 Perfect Quarantine Days at { your favorite foreign location]"!
With US in such a disarray in controlling the cases, it will be months before some of the major countries let American in, the "Perfect Quarantine Day" actually may come in handy for those who have to travel overseas where mandatory isolated quarantine is a requirement.
iluv2fly, SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
I really liked Rhapsody until they discontinued it. Today’s Hemisphere is very thin / fluffy.

I would be willing to pay a monthly subscription if they brought back a higher quality publication.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Printed or electronic?
Printed, it appears.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ramseyq.../#499543236d3c

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I have been wondering what the route map in the Hemisphere would look like during Covid-19 period.
Route map has not been updated apparently:

It also features familiar sections like the airline’s global route maps, fleet details, airport maps and terminal information, and the ever-popular crossword puzzle. The airline points out that the route maps have not yet been updated with Covid-19-related route changes, however.

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
Can't tell if the this snippet from the article is a joke or not: Re-branded to "Hemi at Home"?

To increase circulation so that advertisers remain interested in the popular, glossy magazine, it will be mailed directly to United MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Premier 1K, and Global Services members at home. The indefinite subscription to “Hemi at Home” will begin with the August issue.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Given the costs for distributing a printed magazine worldwide, I guess I am surprised but then saw
INK Publishing is paying the shipping costs for the magazine, which is only being sent to U.S.-based members with top airline elite status.
Printed publications ads (with qualified subscribers) are better rates than online ads. The whole financial arrangement here would be interesting to understand.

Originally Posted by garykung
... In my case, UA will mail the Hemispheres on its space-constrained cargo-only flight to Hong Kong.
Appears not
Old Jul 31, 2020, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Will be sad to see the route maps updated!
Old Jul 31, 2020, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.

I look forward to opening my copy and seeing a crossword puzzle free of other people’s handwriting—mine, all mine!
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The August issue is posted now at
https://ink-global.com/our-clients/p...ited-airlines/

The route map has not been trimmed to reflect current conditions.

No issues for May/June/July, though.
Old Aug 3, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Sulley
I love the shirtless 74 year old bodybuilder doctor and the plastic surgeon with fake teeth!
perfect
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
I was just interviewed for the October 2020 issue of Hemispheres. It will be sent to "...United's most frequent flyers..." according to the editor-in-chief.
SPN Lifer and wxguy like this.

Last edited by meducate; Aug 4, 2020 at 10:39 am
Old Aug 4, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by meducate
I was just interviewed for the October 2020 issue of Hemispheres. It will be sent to "...United's most frequent flyers..." according to the editor-in-chief.
Excited to read your interview!!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2020, 7:29 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by meducate
It will be sent to "...United's most frequent flyers..."
Only to those with Premier Platinum status and above. Lowly Gold's get nothing. I can remember when Gold was the highest frequent flyer status on UA that you could get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.