Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Refund of United miles for canceled Eva Air flight *A upgrade

Old Mar 30, 2020, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus

I have a question.. and this may not be the right thread, but.

I was supposed to fly on May 30th and come back mid-June to the US. I used my United Mileage to ugrade to business. However, I have cancelled my flight over a week a go due to the coronavirus mess. My money was just refunded to me; however, my 60k miles used to upgrade was not. Who do I go after? I have called United and they said they could not do anything from their end. Called EVA and they said they have cancelled the flight and refunded everything, I need to call United to have the miles redeposited.

Not really sure how to get my miles back. Any bit of help is highly appreciated.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by carlos.htx
I have a question.. and this may not be the right thread, but.

I was supposed to fly on May 30th and come back mid-June to the US. I used my United Mileage to ugrade to business. However, I have cancelled my flight over a week a go due to the coronavirus mess. My money was just refunded to me; however, my 60k miles used to upgrade was not. Who do I go after? I have called United and they said they could not do anything from their end. Called EVA and they said they have cancelled the flight and refunded everything, I need to call United to have the miles redeposited.

Not really sure how to get my miles back. Any bit of help is highly appreciated.
I think you need to call United Airlines again to ask for your miles back. Good luck.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 2:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by carlos.htx
.... I was supposed to fly on May 30th and come back mid-June to the US. I used my United Mileage to ugrade to business. However, I have cancelled my flight over a week a go due to the coronavirus mess. My money was just refunded to me; however, my 60k miles used to upgrade was not. Who do I go after? I have called United and they said they could not do anything from their end. Called EVA and they said they have cancelled the flight and refunded everything, I need to call United to have the miles redeposited. ...
This was a cash flight and you used UA miles to upgrade a BR/EVA flight -- via the Star Alliance upgrade method.

Did you cancel before BR/EVA cancelled the flight?

Did you cancel the booking with UA? And UA refunded the ticket price?

If I understand the above correctly, the miles should be refunded. When did you cancel?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Did you cancel before BR/EVA cancelled the flight?
I don't believe BR canceled the flight. What OP presumably meant was that BR canceled/refunded his particular ticket.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Well, this is from Terms and Conditions:

If you wish to make changes or cancel your Star Alliance Upgrade Award request, please contact the operating carrier.

However, sounds like you might need to do a 3-way conference call to get everyone aligned.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 3:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Well, this is from Terms and Conditions:

If you wish to make changes or cancel your Star Alliance Upgrade Award request, please contact the operating carrier.

However, sounds like you might need to do a 3-way conference call to get everyone aligned.
Think that only applies to cancelling the upgrade but not the reservation for the flight.

However, getting *A upgrade miles back on fully canceled reservation has been hit & miss in the past -- the operating carrier needs to release the miles. But UA is the right place to start and the OP mentioned the uoerating carrier claims to have released the miles.
Often1 and carlos.htx like this.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
yeah, there is another thread in the *A forum with similar issues on AC miles. This is reported to be a mess. I would try and Email [email protected] with the PNR and date the miles were deducted for the upgrade as well as a confirmation that the flights were cancelled and the ticket refunded. They should be able to refund those miles, but it might take a few attempts and escalations since *A upgrades are not exactly common for most agents.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Thanks everyone for the help!! I have emailed United a few days ago and gave them a call last night. Luckily, the agent who picked up my call was the same agent preparing a response to my email. I explained to her the situation and they re-deposited the unused miles back to my account.
COSPILOT and A Little Cow like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.