Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, were temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. Were also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If youre on a flight under 1 hour, youll receive beverages on request. Well also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entre choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy, youll receive an entre, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus and United Polaris business class, your entre, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. Youll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, were temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. Were also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, well provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, youre welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy. In the premium cabin, youll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If youre flying in United Economy or Economy Plus, youll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entre choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy, youll receive an entre, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus and United Polaris business class, your entre, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. Youll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Old Jan 15, 2021, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Was it Thai Chicken or Butternut Squash Ravioli? That is on the catering menu this month for EWR-LAX/SFO, but it seems to be whatever is leftover in the Chelsea Kitchen...
I don't recall. Between chicken and pasta, I always pick chicken.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I don't recall. Between chicken and pasta, I always pick chicken.
You're killing me here.

What kind of chicken? What was it served with?
Old Jan 16, 2021, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Repooc17
What was the secondary check for?

Last week I saw TSA agents at the LAX T7 gates, but that was mainly for crowd control (I think). The terminal was packed!
I flew EWR->IAD yesterday morning. TSA secondary as well.
8 or so TSA staff. ID checks for everyone right after they scanned boarding pass. Bag inspection in the jetbridge. (The usual open the zipper, look inside, and close it back up. Incredibly ineffective and pointless).

Flight took a slight delay due to it.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
You're killing me here.

What kind of chicken? What was it served with?
"You know, chicken chicken..."

David
Old Jan 16, 2021, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
EWR to LAX: drinks and meal service served from cart, and separately (drinks first then meal). One-off?
Old Jan 16, 2021, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EWR to LAX: drinks and meal service served from cart, and separately (drinks first then meal). One-off?
Yes, that is not protocol.

What were the meal choices?
Old Jan 16, 2021, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

Thai ginger chicken / ravioli.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thai ginger chicken / ravioli.
Oh, but for the days when p.s. could have steak (with kale), chicken (with kale) or pasta (probably also with kale).
Old Jan 17, 2021, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1K MM

When I flew EWR-SFO earlier this month, it was a choice between cider-brined chicken with risotto and carrots or some sort of pasta. Wines and sparkling were served from full-sized bottles.
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rch4u
When I flew EWR-SFO earlier this month, it was a choice between cider-brined chicken with risotto and carrots or some sort of pasta. Wines and sparkling were served from full-sized bottles.
Thanks. Appreciate this data point.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 8:35 am

Programs: UA-GS,1.95MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorer
Hot meals return?

I just flew SFO-EWR the other day and had the option of "buffalo chicken", "ravioli", or the ever present Tapas/Select box as my meal choices. Are the hot meals coming back or was this just a one-off?

I had the chicken and it came with salad/roll/ice cream. All served in one setting.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 8:37 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by PDILLM
I just flew SFO-EWR the other day and had the option of "buffalo chicken", "ravioli", or the ever present Tapas/Select box as my meal choices. Are the hot meals coming back or was this just a one-off?

I had the chicken and it came with salad/roll/ice cream. All served in one setting.
EWR-LAX/SFO only. JFK-LAX/SFO will have this service when it launches. I noticed that the same meal is also offered on the redeyes.

Not sure about the longer Hawaii flights that are operating. Polaris-marketed flights are similar.

Basically, it's an economy meal from 20 years ago or so. I'm not complaining, given the state of inflight service elsewhere, but this is the direction we are headed.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EWR764
EWR-LAX/SFO only. JFK-LAX/SFO will have this service when it launches. I noticed that the same meal is also offered on the redeyes.

Not sure about the longer Hawaii flights that are operating. Polaris-marketed flights are similar.

Basically, it's an economy meal from 20 years ago or so. I'm not complaining, given the state of inflight service elsewhere, but this is the direction we are headed.
I believe the longer HI (DEN and east) are serving hot meals as well.

Thread:
2021 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have hot meals ever went away for routes between SFO/LAX and EWR? I had a bit of a flying break last spring shortly after the start of the pandemic, but hot meals have always been offered for these transcon routes in 2020 and so far in 2021 during my flights.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:34 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I just flew SFO-EWR the other day and had the option of "buffalo chicken", "ravioli", or the ever present Tapas/Select box as my meal choices. Are the hot meals coming back or was this just a one-off? ....
This is one of the few domestic routes that has continued to have (a reduced) hot meal up front. Not an indication of a general return

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.