Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
Still doing all sealed beverage service (except for coffee/tea, which are now available all day), so yes, still the shady lane and camelot plonk.

I think the bottles were only 0.75L bottles pre-virus?
Yes, sorry, I should have written 75 CL, not 1.75 CL.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st530
Yes, sorry, I should have written 75 CL, not 1.75 CL.
I'm sure they'd love to serve 1.75CL bottles if they could do so.
Old Sep 17, 2020, 2:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
No individually poured items
Old Sep 17, 2020, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fly747first
On flights over 900 miles, AA is now offering a choice of yogurt parfait or turkey/swiss croissant for breakfast; fruit/cheese plate or turkey sandwich on lunch/dinner flights... a lot better than UA if you ask me
No, my 3 hour flight from DFW to SBA was on American Eagle, and after posting on the AA forum, they stated there is no food in first class on Eagle, regardless of flight length. The 900 mile rule is mainline only
Old Sep 18, 2020, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1k
9/16: FRA IAD BOS in J
FRA to IAD was 787-10 which sure is nice configuration. Lunch was pre-packed dinner (3 choices), small one-at-a time wine bottles and reluctant refill. End of flight was a prepacked sandwich thrown on your seat "eat it or leave it" style. They did come around a few times with snack baskets, which was nice. IAD to BOS was a bag with water, pretzel and stroopwaffle (yummy) and a wipe (?)
My outbound was with LH in J (got lucky this round) : service and food on LH was much better . Europe is much further along on Covid co-existence than the US.

Side note A: IAD United Club was open and it was ratther full and cramped. That's a IMO a potential problem: technically you are required to wear a mask UNLESS you are eating or drinking, but that's exactly what most people in the lounge are doing. I would consider this the most "risky" spot of our journey,

Side note B:US Covid paperwork is sitll confusing. We had to fill out a contact tracing from but then no one actually collected it. Flight attendants didn't want it and there was no one on the ground to check. No notification or hint to fill out a MA travel form, which I think everyone from a flight IAD -> BOS is required to do .

Side note C: Apparenty there is change in Global Entry. You don't shove in your passport anymore but just take a photo, print a receipt, and then walk by an officer that checks your passport.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Hilmar Lehnert
9/16: FRA IAD BOS in J
FRA to IAD was 787-10 which sure is nice configuration. Lunch was pre-packed dinner (3 choices), small one-at-a time wine bottles and reluctant refill. End of flight was a prepacked sandwich thrown on your seat "eat it or leave it" style. They did come around a few times with snack baskets, which was nice. IAD to BOS was a bag with water, pretzel and stroopwaffle (yummy) and a wipe (?)
My outbound was with LH in J (got lucky this round) : service and food on LH was much better . Europe is much further along on Covid co-existence than the US.

Side note A: IAD United Club was open and it was ratther full and cramped. That's a IMO a potential problem: technically you are required to wear a mask UNLESS you are eating or drinking, but that's exactly what most people in the lounge are doing. I would consider this the most "risky" spot of our journey,

Side note B:US Covid paperwork is sitll confusing. We had to fill out a contact tracing from but then no one actually collected it. Flight attendants didn't want it and there was no one on the ground to check. No notification or hint to fill out a MA travel form, which I think everyone from a flight IAD -> BOS is required to do .

Side note C: Apparenty there is change in Global Entry. You don't shove in your passport anymore but just take a photo, print a receipt, and then walk by an officer that checks your passport.
Nice summary.

Agree 100% on United Club. I am back to flying domestic, and when I stopped in EWR club for a brief visit, I felt very nervous. It wasn't very busy and fairly easy to maintain distance, but taking off my mask to drink along with everyone else in the enclosed space just felt nervy. Didn't stay very long.

Being 6 months into this and still not having cohesive implemented plan around travel, paperwork, tracing etc is just crazy.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Can someone please LMK what to expect on a p.s. flight these days? I've not taken p.s. service in years and today is certainly my first time during Covid. I'm imagining most of the stuff outlined on the United page (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-services.html) no longer applies. Do they still provide amenity kits? What are the food options these days? And do they still provide "bedding" (e.g. pillow and blankets?)

Thanks!
-RM
Old Sep 18, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
... Do they still provide amenity kits? ...
Yes
...What are the food options these days? ...
as in the wiki and on UA
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.
...And do they still provide "bedding" (e.g. pillow and blankets?) ...
Yes (one less blanket?)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 18, 2020 at 1:31 pm Reason: blanket
Old Sep 18, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Can someone please LMK what to expect on a p.s. flight these days? I've not taken p.s. service in years and today is certainly my first time during Covid. I'm imagining most of the stuff outlined on the United page (https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-services.html) no longer applies. Do they still provide amenity kits? What are the food options these days? And do they still provide "bedding" (e.g. pillow and blankets?)

Thanks!
-RM
That's a pretty outdated link and I'm surprised United hasn't updated it. There's a reference to "shower facilities at select United Club locations". Weren't those pulled out of all UC's at least 3 or 4 years ago??
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by tstauck
That's a pretty outdated link and I'm surprised United hasn't updated it. There's a reference to "shower facilities at select United Club locations". Weren't those pulled out of all UC's at least 3 or 4 years ago??
A common, consistent comment theme in this thread has been UA's lack of specific updates to their website for any CV-19 changes. Your comment also points out how poorly UA has been in full site maintenance beyond just CV-19 impacts.

The other, which is broadly applicable for most of the threads in the UA forum, is United's "consistent inconsistency".

David
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
as in the wiki and on UA
As always, thanks for the reply. The link you sent me is what's posted in the Wiki. I read that. I was asking "what" food is offered. I know food is offered. Was wondering if anyone has a clue what options are available. Basically, wondering if it's better than what domestic F service used to be or on par with it? Will help me decide if I get food at EWR before boarding or not.

-RM
Old Sep 18, 2020, 11:01 am

As always, thanks for the reply. The link you sent me is what's posted in the Wiki. I read that. I was asking "what" food is offered. I know food is offered. Was wondering if anyone has a clue what options are available. ...
See 2020 Let's Eat - United First, United Business, & Premium Transcon Service for recent experiences

such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32659153-post295.html
Old Sep 18, 2020, 11:24 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Basically, wondering if it's better than what domestic F service used to be or on par with it? Will help me decide if I get food at EWR before boarding or not.
In my opinion, buying food at the airport is a best practice regardless of what is offered - Covid or Pre-Covid
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
As always, thanks for the reply. The link you sent me is what's posted in the Wiki. I read that. I was asking "what" food is offered. I know food is offered. Was wondering if anyone has a clue what options are available. Basically, wondering if it's better than what domestic F service used to be or on par with it? Will help me decide if I get food at EWR before boarding or not.

-RM
FYI: I was just at EWR yesterday. More of the OTG places are opening up, some for take-away service only, but not everything is open.

The Dunkin Donuts and the Wendy's down by Gate 110 are both open if you want to avoid OTG.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum

Thanks!
-RM
When I took EWR-LAX this month, pillow and (thin) blanket were on seats. All alcoholic drinks were available except for pouring white/red wines in glass. The foods were in wrap. See the Let’s eat thread for details. The amenity kit is barely minimum with eye shade and lotions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.