Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Bear96
And guess what - when they are bringing someone else's dirty glass or tray or napkin to the galley and then fixing you a gin & tonic refill, they are not washing their hands in between.
And how does this differ from pouring a glass of water? It’s the same thing.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 12:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Chance of transmission is a factor of total time in close proximity (long vs short, once vs multiple), how close was the "contact" and the nature of the contact (or precautions taken).. (assuming any of the individuals are virus carriers)
dilanesp likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
A flight attendant friend of mine suspects these draconian in-flight cuts will last through summer. If that is the case, I will not be buying any First or Polaris fares.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
And how does this differ from pouring a glass of water? It’s the same thing.
They aren't pouring any water. Everyone gets individual bottled water.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by username
I am sure some of this is cost related. However, the less contact, the less risk, right? A lot of it is about protecting the cabin crew, which translates to protecting the passengers, right?

The US is really like a lot of small countries - each region has its own severity on Covid-19 and different policies dealing with it. We already see some states implement quarantine rules. If this thing does not get better soon and more states implement quarantine rules/more strict rules, the airlines might have to go cargo-only.
There isn't really any need for contact at all. FAs can hand premium cabin passengers a box of food, and the passenger can put the empty box into a trash bag themselves. In fact, FA's have been wearing gloves for a long time while collecting trash well before this virus started. A can of soda or bottle of water with an optional cup can be handed to a passenger or placed on their table, and the passenger can put the empty contents into a trash bag. The risk is almost negligible, certainly similar to a drive thru cashier handling food and payments, or anyone in a grocery check out line interacting with the cashier.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
I started a thread in early March regarding United and US Carrier bread service using tongs vs many EU carriers that let you just grab it out of the basket. Well as someone sitting in lock down in California, United's sealed and packaged seems like a step in the right direction regardless if it is cost cutting or not.
dilanesp likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hilton HHonors, AAdvantage, Tier 8 Status - Hotel Tonight
What exactly is the risk of serving alcohol right now? It already comes in packaged liquor bottles or cans. Most times I just get the bottles and mix it myself from the F/A's.

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
A reminder for those that were not in the forum or flying back in the day, post 9/11 in three cabin aircraft on domestic routes, we had a period of time where Business got a snack box, or "no choice" single meal option. Yes, it was due to budgets and managing costs. I don't have a problem with managing costs at a time like this. UA came back with full services when they were able, and I expect the same when this is all over as well.
IIRC, UA wasn't nearly as bad as DL post 9/11 with serving meals in F. There was a time where DL was serving mid-con F meals with plastic utensils through like 2006.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX_AUS_DL_FLYER
What exactly is the risk of serving alcohol right now? It already comes in packaged liquor bottles or cans. Most times I just get the bottles and mix it myself from the F/A's.
I agree. I don't see any heightened risk with handing a passenger a mini (or a little split of wine or can of beer) along with an unopened can of their preferred mixer, and then coming along with a trash bag later and having passengers throw everything in it while the F/A wears latex gloves. At least for domestic F and int'l where alcohol is complimentary - I get that in domestic Y they charge for alcohol which leads to contact through credit cards etc. So unless there is something I am missing, no alcohol for int'l and domestic F seems purely like cost cutting. (Which FTR I have no problem with; every airline is losing its shirt with each flight it operates these days with a 10% load factor so I see the need to cut costs to the bone - just be honest about it; heck if it were me in charge of an airline I would have grounded everything starting last weekend).

But I do understand the COV19 rationale behind the food service changes.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 3:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Just to be clear, the message stated some alcohol would be provided
In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines.
Bear96 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:17 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Disagree.

First of all, nobody is going to starve on a 2 hr flight as you stated, but where we disagree is that a 4 hr flight is something different, still aren’t going to starve...

Once one enters the airplane, whether passengers or FA’s, selective food service doesn’t change exposure, its the same people. This is overreaction at best, or worse, the next devaluation out of “abundance” of caution.

If my good friend visits for dinner tomorrow, one hour in my house vs. four makes no difference.
You have to draw the line somewhere. Are you going to starve people on a 9 hour flight.

Line drawing is not proof of bad faith. Indeed it isn't even evidence of it.

Any more than it "proves" you don't care about the coronavirus if you go to the supermarket.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:18 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by rch4u
A flight attendant friend of mine suspects these draconian in-flight cuts will last through summer. If that is the case, I will not be buying any First or Polaris fares.
If I needed the lie flat seat and needed to fly, I would buy it.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Just to be clear, the message stated some alcohol would be provided
Thanks for noting that. I hope that will last. I have been following similar service reductions at other carriers where they are saying no alcohol at all, so it wouldn't surprise me if UA follows along soon. Hopefully not.

Originally Posted by rch4u
What airline will you be flying instead, and to where?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 28, 2020 at 5:41 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Bear96
What airline will you be flying instead, and to where?
OP never indicated they would be flying a different airline, only that they wouldn’t be purchasing F/J fares which honestly makes sense at this point. With planes empty and no real additional service on offer in F just self-cater, take the lowest Y fare available, and stretch out across multiple seats.
rch4u likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
IAD-IAH tonight on Polaris bird. In FC, they brought up the snack cart from economy & we had our pick. Only prepackaged food like snack boxes, chips, hummus, candy etc They did have mini bottles of alcohol, but ice is a hard NO. They did have ice for airplane use, but not human consumption. I imagine there will be some tweaks as catering catches up with corporate directives.

It is what it is. We are in the midst of a global pandemic & the airlines are on the brink of bankruptcy. Both are valid reasons to cut back the inflight service options temporarily.

Most of you are not even flying right now & complaining about a service change you are not experiencing. Relax Francis
Old Mar 28, 2020, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
IAD-IAH tonight on Polaris bird. In FC, they brought up the snack cart from economy & we had our pick. Only prepackaged food like snack boxes, chips, hummus, candy etc They did have mini bottles of alcohol, but ice is a hard NO. They did have ice for airplane use, but not human consumption. I imagine there will be some tweaks as catering catches up with corporate directives.

It is what it is. We are in the midst of a global pandemic & the airlines are on the brink of bankruptcy. Both are valid reasons to cut back the inflight service options temporarily.
So, even with $8B on hand + gotten loan(s) + possible bailout $$$, on the brink. Sure.

Valid, perhaps in the Kirby Kutback book. Informative, no. UA has personnel that can communicate - not that they apparently know how to let its customers know what's happening. Really, really difficult in this day and age.

Most of you are not even flying right now & complaining about a service change you are not experiencing. Relax Francis
Ah, so for those of us who are grounded and not wanting to contribute to the potential spread of virii, we can't have a view point?

David
rch4u likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 28, 2020 at 6:15 pm Reason: Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.