Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2020, 2:27 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by seanp7
Flew Domestic F today with a great crew. 1 seat open in F (737-900), snack bag, and I had two wines and ample offerings of more. Mini water bottles at seat upon boarding ala DL F.

Mask usage: 100%, passengers & crew.
Be careful with those positive reports around here!
Old Jul 2, 2020, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192
AA, DL, and B6 all offer duvets on transcons.
Saks day blanket > DL or B6 duvet. Westin Heavenly Bedding on DL is very, very tired. I don’t fly AA so can’t comment on the quality of the Casper bedding.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
I actually prefer the Saks day blanket over the duvet because I don't need a lot to keep me warm. Bummer that is being removed from Polaris and hope it's temporary.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 10:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
I actually prefer the Saks day blanket over the duvet because I don't need a lot to keep me warm. Bummer that is being removed from Polaris and hope it's temporary.
Just to be clear, there was no mention on "removed from Polaris", the referenced flights are domestic and are not Polaris marketed.
Originally Posted by kevflyer
It isn’t all good news on the passenger experience front, though. Beginning July 15, United will be reducing its Saks Fifth Avenue bedding on certain flights — that comfy Saks duvet will no longer be available in domestic business class, or in first class on lie-flat flights between the mainland U.S. and Alaska and Hawaii, with the airline offering a light throw blanket, instead.
Source:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/united...aks-amenities/
Old Jul 3, 2020, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Which Domestic flights got Saks duvets? I flew SFO-IAD on a 777 in a Polaris Cabin (but yeah, of course, domestic F) in December, and we got the old thin regular domestic F blankets. Also, no pillows - my wife asked the FA and they just offered another blanket and suggested she roll it to be like a pillow. Flying ORD-SFO in F in a 777 Later in July, so should I expect the same again?

as for coffee, is it really only on flights before 9:45? Seems silly. If serving coffee isn’t considered a health and safety issue, why not offer it on all flights (or all flights over 2 hours or whatever the cutoff is now for snack service)? If it still is a health/safety issue, why are you offering it at all? Wondering since my above referenced flight is in the afternoon, and coffee is basically all I will drink on board - aside from water (which I’ll also drink), everything else is full of sugar which I really don’t need.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 2:56 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
as for coffee, is it really only on flights before 9:45? Seems silly. If serving coffee isn’t considered a health and safety issue, why not offer it on all flights (or all flights over 2 hours or whatever the cutoff is now for snack service)? If it still is a health/safety issue, why are you offering it at all? Wondering since my above referenced flight is in the afternoon, and coffee is basically all I will drink on board - aside from water (which I’ll also drink), everything else is full of sugar which I really don’t need.
Same case here, only drink coffee or water on board. This seems like obvious cost cutting to me... will be disappointed next week when my flight leaving IAH at 10am will not have coffee available.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Which Domestic flights got Saks duvets? I flew SFO-IAD on a 777 in a Polaris Cabin (but yeah, of course, domestic F) in December, and we got the old thin regular domestic F blankets. Also, no pillows - my wife asked the FA and they just offered another blanket and suggested she roll it to be like a pillow. Flying ORD-SFO in F in a 777 Later in July, so should I expect the same again?

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
Same case here, only drink coffee or water on board. This seems like obvious cost cutting to me... will be disappointed next week when my flight leaving IAH at 10am will not have coffee available.
Well, there is the old salt standby: Tomato Juice.

David
Old Jul 3, 2020, 3:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Which Domestic flights got Saks duvets? ....
Some of the premium transcons and the mentioned Hawaii / Alaska flights,
I flew SFO-IAD on a 777 in a Polaris Cabin (but yeah, of course, domestic F) in December, and we got the old thin regular domestic F blankets. Also, no pillows - my wife asked the FA and they just offered another blanket and suggested she roll it to be like a pillow. Flying ORD-SFO in F in a 777 Later in July, so should I expect the same again? ...
Yes although occasionally you might get a flight outfitted with the better stuff, but have no expectations.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Just to be clear, there was no mention on "removed from Polaris", the referenced flights are domestic and are not Polaris marketed.
From the actual The Points Guy article:
"That same light blanket will be removed from international Polaris cabins, though I never found it to be necessary, myself."
Old Jul 4, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium

I've had the Saks duvets on the PS flights I've had between EWR and LAX on Polaris 787-10's and 767's(Hi-J?) but not on the 767-300 or 757-200. I was pleasantly surprised to find (almost) hot coffee and Baileys on 2304 on Friday! I almost needed a ride home (multiple QA checks).

Last edited by Dublin_rfk; Jul 4, 2020 at 8:48 am
Old Jul 4, 2020, 8:46 am

Excellent crew EWR-CLE mainline offering PDBs (may be part of the upgrade from beer and wine), fully stocked liquor and ice
AustinWeatherGuy likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by skyhigh1
Excellent crew EWR-CLE mainline offering PDBs (may be part of the upgrade from beer and wine), fully stocked liquor and ice
How many drinks were you able to order (and consume) on that short flight?

David
AustinWeatherGuy likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skyhigh1
Originally Posted by DELee

David
These short-hauls are a game of beat the clock! For a real challenge try LAX-SAN or ORD-IND.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 4:28 pm

Programs: United 1K, Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Gold
Flew in Polaris from FRA-IAD on the Dreamliner on July 3. Ice and coffee were back. Liquor too. I asked for champs but FA thinks since the turn around was in FRA, it just wasn’t loaded. All blankets and pillows were there. Wore mask when getting on and off plane and going to bathroom. Didn’t inside my pod.

Lounge in FRA was still closed.

First meal was nipbips or whatever they also hand out in economy. Lunch was beef (was soooo delicious, I was starving and didn’t take a pic), fish, chicken or pasta. They had snacks and bottled water out during flight. No ice cream. Snack before landing was a disgusting Gouda sandwich. Had one bite and thought I’d puke. No IPA. Had 5 other beers. But they rarely have the IPA on way back to USA.

Business was fully booked. But was about 12 non-rev coming back to USA after doing a charter flight. And lots of people going home for holiday. Most of the crew was inattentive. I was annoyed but then had two nice FA for service. No thanks for flying, no thanks for being 1K, didn’t call me by my name when taking my order. Wasn’t worth as much as I paid sadly.

When waiting for my ride one of the nice FAs came out. She was also disgusted by the lunch. She told me to call and complain. And I saw family take their Saks pillows and blankets off. I was stunned by this.

Flying IAD-FRA on July 11. I’m curious to see difference from then.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by DELee

David
They also served doubles so I stopped myself at 5
ainternational likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.