Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2021, 12:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Eadward
Not sure where to put this. Was on 3647 on Wednesday and the whole flight got the most blatant aggressive hard sell job on the United Explorer Card that I’ve ever seen. In addition to a brief blurb after takeoff there were two live and lengthy infomercials delivered over the PA inflight. The FA walked up and down the aisle several times pitching the card to the passengers. I guess there is some promotion right now that she really thought was a good deal so she was especially enthusiastic about it. Is this what things have come to that we are just a captive audience for credit card marketing?
Interesting you mention this—I’m not a super frequent flyer, but I’ve had 10ish flights with UA this year and never really had any credit card pitches until yesterday EWR-TPA. Apparently I slept thru it, but my partner said it was about a 5 minute pitch. We were on a MAX 8 and loved the new IFE but my partner was very annoyed having entertainment stopped for such a long pitch. Used to it on AA, but I wonder if there’s a new initiative to push them more on UA.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Recap what Polaris Meals are supposed to be

From 2017:
How time has changed…

restlessinRNO, DEN, wpcoe and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 1:25 pm

That's UNITED AIRLINES? ...?

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 9, 2022 at 6:16 am Reason: Removed photos as they can be cumbersome for those with slow connections
Old Dec 24, 2021, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by andy_dangg
Interesting you mention this—I’m not a super frequent flyer, but I’ve had 10ish flights with UA this year and never really had any credit card pitches until yesterday EWR-TPA. Apparently I slept thru it, but my partner said it was about a 5 minute pitch. We were on a MAX 8 and loved the new IFE but my partner was very annoyed having entertainment stopped for such a long pitch. Used to it on AA, but I wonder if there’s a new initiative to push them more on UA.
I heard credit card offers on pretty much every one of my 100+ mainline flights this year, including some red-eye flights, which was super annoying.

On the plus side, there were at least two flights where IFE units at my seat did not pause during crew communication, and I was glad for the "malfunction" - no interruptions!!! Units at other seats next to and near me worked as normal - hope they enjoyed those credit card promotional pitches.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by xph11
That _was_ United not too many years ago. An unfortunately brief and shining moment.

David
restlessinRNO and halls120 like this.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I miss the wine flights, but I will caveat that UA_Flyer's stunning photography skills are capable of multiplying the presentation of the meal service by at least 3x. I remember one domestic post where only a solid grounding in the mealsets was able to convince me it was the same service I had photographed earlier in the month
Old Dec 24, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
It was my experience for a few years. I was okay when they took away the wine trio thing as I always knocked them over.

I so miss the cheese and grape after the main meal and liked them as my snack midflight. I still do not understand why they cannot be stocked in the COVID era.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by findark
I miss the wine flights, but I will caveat that UA_Flyer's stunning photography skills are capable of multiplying the presentation of the meal service by at least 3x. I remember one domestic post where only a solid grounding in the mealsets was able to convince me it was the same service I had photographed earlier in the month
Agreed on the photography comment.

UA was on par and average by all metrics (but still nowhere near the competition even then) just a few short years ago. It's gone down hill ever since, even prior to Covid.

For a long haul INTL flight, United wouldn't even come close as my first choice.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
which was the first to go, the wine flights the stupid Champagne glass ina stick or the ice cream bowls that broke.

we went to the pre launch party in Chicago and left saying “this is all flash but none of it will stand up to use on an airplane. We were right.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
LOL/rolleyes to above. Santa just brought us some cool Star Wars pyjamas since we know we can't count on in-fight PJs anymore. He even added a note to this effect...
Happy Christmas/Holidays to all!!!
restlessinRNO and UA_Flyer like this.

Last edited by kirkwoodj; Dec 25, 2021 at 11:59 am
Old Dec 24, 2021, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
UA_Flyer - Thank you for posting. I can remember those days too. Actually a menu, actually a wine list, a wine tasting, … ! Sadly just a memory now. Can we hope for a better 2022, one wonders? ✈️
Old Dec 24, 2021, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Someone upthread said that the Polaris plates (the casserole dishes) look like dog dishes, and ever since then I can't get that impression out of my mind. Every time someone posts a photo of a Polaris meal here, it really looks to me like something you would feed your dog.
I love my dog.
United747 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 6:38 am

Programs: UA/CO GS, PP, MM
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I heard credit card offers on pretty much every one of my 100+ mainline flights this year, including some red-eye flights, which was super annoying.

On the plus side, there were at least two flights where IFE units at my seat did not pause during crew communication, and I was glad for the "malfunction" - no interruptions!!! Units at other seats next to and near me worked as normal - hope they enjoyed those credit card promotional pitches.
Yes I’ve heard “credit card offers” on every flight for several years now. IIRC they had / have a video blurb towards the end of the safety video. And seem to have incorporated it into the live welcome safety talk.

What I’m talking about here are two dedicated hard sell pitches over the PA - in the middle of the flight - at least five minutes each. Also actively walking up and down the aisles pitching directly to customers. That I haven’t seen before.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eadward
What I’m talking about here are two dedicated hard sell pitches over the PA - in the middle of the flight - at least five minutes each. Also actively walking up and down the aisles pitching directly to customers. That I haven’t seen before.
Ok. Maybe not two, but at least one passionate speech over intercom dangling "free" trips every mainline flight. Flight attendants would get extra $$$ for completed credit card applications they distribute. Booming business for the airlines.

Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 25, 2021, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I'd say I hear the announcement about half the time...36 paid and many award segments this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.