Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, B6, WN
Eagerly watching for any reports of glassware starting today
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by bourbonbum
Flying ORD-PHX tonight, will report back.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:17 pm

Flew on EWR-ZHR on Oct 14th. Is United no longer distributing menus? The whole experience (minus great seat) resembled economy. The purser gave me three options for dinner and I'm quoting: "Meat, Fish or Pasta?" (but maybe thats just an EWR thing ?) I was sitting in the back of business class it took 2 hours (on 7:45 flight) for my tray to arrive. No drinks were served before or after that! I skipped the breakfast but it was either porridge or egg whites and sausage. No headphones were provided either, the purser didn't know why.

BTW: The lounge in EWR near the C90 gate {crowded} at around 4pm. Very very very few available seats, lots of people everywhere. I turned around and waited at the gate.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 15, 2021 at 1:54 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by bodik
The purser gave me three options for dinner and I'm quoting: "Meat, Fish or Pasta?" (but maybe thats just an EWR thing ?)
This is pretty common, IME. No pride, nor do they really care. You'll get the occasional exception, but this is the norm. Maybe the $1,000 bonus will incentivize a few FA's to read the menu on the ground, find out more, and elaborate on each dish from time to time?
Old Oct 15, 2021, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by bodik
Flew on EWR-ZHR on Oct 14th. Is United no longer distributing menus? The whole experience (minus great seat) resembled economy. The purser gave me three options for dinner and I'm quoting: "Meat, Fish or Pasta?" (but maybe thats just an EWR thing ?) I was sitting in the back of business class it took 2 hours (on 7:45 flight) for my tray to arrive. No drinks were served before or after that! I skipped the breakfast but it was either porridge or egg whites and sausage. No headphones were provided either, the purser didn't know why.

BTW: The lounge in EWR near the C90 gate was {crowded} at around 4pm. Very very very few available seats, lots of people everywhere. I turned around and waited at the gate.
You received the Newark Standard. Surly staff and crowded club.

And United is still being cheap with no menus, single tray service, no beverage runs, spotty provisioning, etc etc etc.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 15, 2021 at 1:55 pm Reason: Quote updated ro reflect Moderator edit
Old Oct 15, 2021, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
And yet they want to charge $16K for a r/t in Polaris to FRA. Yeah, ok...

As for the menu - been the same for my flights to LHR and FRA.

As for the amenity kit - I got the same blue square bag thing on my LHR flights. However, my flight out to FRA had a different, thinner pouch that is half tan and half blue. I'm outbound from FRA this weekend so will see what they are using. But the guts of the amenity kit are identical regardless of bag.

Polaris becomes only slightly more intriguing once the Polaris lounge opens. IAD is this month. Who knows when/where the next will be. But even with the lounge and the ability to eat "proper" food before the plane, $16K is absurd.

-RM
Old Oct 15, 2021, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Did they announce they were bringing back glassware starting today? I'm flying tomorrow and it would be great!
Old Oct 15, 2021, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by seanp7
This is pretty common, IME. No pride, nor do they really care. You'll get the occasional exception, but this is the norm. Maybe the $1,000 bonus will incentivize a few FA's to read the menu on the ground, find out more, and elaborate on each dish from time to time?
Only if the bonus is tied directly to that employee's personal NPS score - which is how it should be.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Only if the bonus is tied directly to that employee's personal NPS score - which is how it should be.
Not going to happen.

Interesting, at least to me, so many people have an issue with a $1,000 bonus when so many of us here make at least that much weekly.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, B6, WN
Originally Posted by tstauck
Did they announce they were bringing back glassware starting today? I'm flying tomorrow and it would be great!
There were unofficial reports posted in this forum of glassware returning 10/15, no official public announcement that I'm aware of.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
There were unofficial reports posted in this forum of glassware returning 10/15, no official public announcement that I'm aware of.
Was that for UA or AA. I remember there was a brief AA tangent we had earlier about them bringing back glassware on their flagship routes as of today. But maybe my memory is dry
Old Oct 15, 2021, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
ORD-PHX tonight. No glassware - and FA had no idea what I was talking about. 😢
Blue plastic cups, and chicken sandwiches, continue…..👎
Old Oct 15, 2021, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Flew TPA EWR on the 13th.

Crew did immediately say glassware was starting on the 15th, but "gradually". Starting on Polaris, and Premium service, and then moving system wide gradually.

The crew seemed excited about it, and seemed to be believable. I guess we have to give it time.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Can also confirm no glassware for a "premium" TCON flight today.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 11:37 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by seanp7
Think of it like a bell curve distribution. The top 10% and bottom 10% will continue to be excellent or horrible irrespective of the bonus. You're trying to impact the "80% under the bell". The bonus likely will have a positive short term impact. I applaud UA for the initiative. However if you think the bonus is going to motivate the bottom 10%.......it isn't happening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.