Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2020, 12:25 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by cmd320
I have no doubt that I physically could go 5 hours without eating. However if I'm paying for an F ticket that isn't something I should need to endure.
Why not? The world is in a crisis.

They are getting you there. That's what passengers are paying for. If F isn't worth extra, there's always Y.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dilanesp

They are getting you there. That's what passengers are paying for. If F isn't worth extra, there's always Y.
Wasn't that the original point in this line of discussion? If F service is gutted, there is no point paying for it. See below.

Originally Posted by rch4u
I refuse to buy a premium cabin ticket on United until all catering cuts are restored. Pilots and flight attendants are getting full beverage and food options while those of us who pay to fly are getting essentially nothing - under the guise of "safety" and "public health."

In fact, to be sure you don't wind up in F when buying Y, better to buy basic economy.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
Wasn't that the original point in this line of discussion? If F service is gutted, there is no point paying for it. ...
Depends if you seek F mostly for the hard product benefits or the soft product benefits. While there are still some soft product benefits for premium cabins, those differences are less today.

These are personal choices and there is no one right answer.
Plane-is-home and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Depends if you seek F mostly for the hard product benefits or the soft product benefits. While there are still some soft product benefits for premium cabins, those differences are less today.

These are personal choices and there is no one right answer.
I agree that it is a personal choice, but it seemed the conversation went in a funny sort of circle.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold

So what? I'm not really interested in the external factors affecting the companies I choose to do business with. I'm interested in the product they deliver. When I purchase an F ticket I expect the entire experience delivered or I expect it to be considerably cheaper.

At this point with empty planes and no real service on offer to differentiate F from Y, one is definitely better off purchasing a Y ticket. You'll end up with the same soft product and more space across three Y seats than one disappointing domestic F seat.
rch4u likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Ah yes, the "world in crisis" excuse.

No, I am not paying to go from A to B, I am paying for a package of services which includes more than just transportation, otherwise I don't need United at all in any cabin, I can just fly Spirit. If I am paying a premium for F, I expect F service, otherwise I expect to pay far less for it.
hockey7711 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:01 pm

So what? I'm not really interested in the external factors affecting the companies I choose to do business with. I'm interested in the product they deliver. When I purchase an F ticket I expect the entire experience delivered or I expect it to be considerably cheaper.

At this point with empty planes and no real service on offer to differentiate F from Y, one is definitely better off purchasing a Y ticket. You'll end up with the same soft product and more space across three Y seats than one disappointing domestic F seat.
​​​​​​Look. The world is in crisis. No airline seems to feel that it is safe to deliver the service you want.

Now that's not what you want to hear, I get that. But it's true. You have choices though:

You can
​​​
1. Not fly, which is what many of us are doing.

2. Fly but don't pay for F because you aren't getting what you consider to be F service. If you are a FF'er you might get a CPU anyway, in which case you will not have paid for the service.

3. Charter a private plane, if a service is available which will undertake whatever risks are necessary to deliver the service you think is necessary.
​​​​​​
I don't see why the industry putting flyers to this choice is some huge outrage. There's a health crisis, flight attendants have gotten sick, and airlines are losing lots of money. If I truly needed to fly, the least of my concerns would be inflight service. Indeed I would try to make as few requests as possible from FA's to prevent the spread of the virus.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Somehow they still provide hot meals on INTL. In Y.

So yes these are rather extraordinary times but that isn’t the entire story.
SPN Lifer and FlyngSvyr like this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I agree with your statement. I am surprised though that you received no meal on a four hour intra-Asia flight last month. Would you care to expand on your experience? Was this coach or F, perhaps a LCC such as AirAsia? I read on the FT BR forum, that BR now only serves a (room temperature) meal-box on flights under six hours.
The flights were on Cathay Dragon and China Eastern. Both flights typically serve hot meals but not more in Y. I have heard F were significantly cut back since. There were no F passengers on the China Eastern flight to Tokyo that I was on. The sampled flights can be misleading too because these are the areas that got hit the earliest by the virus.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Somehow they still provide hot meals on INTL. In Y.

So yes these are rather extraordinary times but that isn’t the entire story.
That's like saying because essential businesses are open there must be no risk in opening your business. Airlines are clearly doing some balancing on longer flights.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

​​​​​​Look. The world is in crisis. No airline seems to feel that it is safe to deliver the service you want.
And that's exactly why I'll take the $16 Y fare and have the cabin to myself rather than purchasing the $400 J fare. That's the point, there's literally no reason to buy J/F at the moment, at least domestically.

In fact I would even decline a complimentary upgrade at this point assuming the back is a ghost town, which it most likely will be.
SPN Lifer and st3 like this.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 4:07 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
Getting caught up on this thread has been amusing to say the least, I am surprised an intrepid travel blogger hasn't mined this for gold. I could see the headline now "Entitled First Class passengers bemoan lack of hot meals while unemployment hits 15%"

These cutbacks aren't limited to UA. Go look at DL and AA (the links to their threads have been posted here).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 13, 2020 at 4:35 pm Reason: Discuss the issue, not the poster(s)
Old Apr 13, 2020, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st3
Getting caught up on this thread has been amusing to say the least, I am surprised an intrepid travel blogger hasn't mined this for gold. I could see the headline now "Entitled First Class passengers bemoan lack of hot meals while unemployment hits 15%"

These cutbacks aren't limited to UA. Go look at DL and AA (the links to their threads have been posted here).
The primary reason for purchasing an F ticket is entitlement to the amenities it offers. When those amenities disappear and Y is empty, any reasoning for actually purchasing an F fare seems to disappear.

I'm not sure how or why you would compare a lack of hot meals in F to unemployment statistics. People love to talk about 'first world problems' and nonsense of that nature but it's just completely beside the point. This issue focuses solely on the product one is receiving for what they spend, and maybe even more importantly, how cheap and empty Y is at this point.
rch4u and findark like this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:48 am
st3

Programs: United MP
The primary reason for purchasing an F ticket is entitlement to the amenities it offers. When those amenities disappear and Y is empty, any reasoning for actually purchasing an F fare seems to disappear.

I'm not sure how or why you would compare a lack of hot meals in F to unemployment statistics. People love to talk about 'first world problems' and nonsense of that nature but it's just completely beside the point. This issue focuses solely on the product one is receiving for what they spend, and maybe even more importantly, how cheap and empty Y is at this point.
Then just buy a ticket in Y! I think what we are finding ourselves in currently would qualify as extenuating circumstances. We know from other threads that traffic is down well over 90% and you can get a CPU on virtually every route. Who is flying in F now that purchased their ticket months ago on the promise of domestic F service? You could fit them all in the F cabin in a CR2 I bet.

Two days before they closed all restaurants to sit-down service I took my girlfriend out for our anniversary dinner. The complimentary valet parking had been suspended but I managed to "make do" and park the car myself! I didn't ask to be compensated for the decline in service. It being a "first world problem" seems awfully relevant in the current climate.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While I agree with your overall point, the fact is that the price and product they are offering right now are what they are for whatever reason.

f you don't like it, buy Y and move on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.