Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Old May 31, 2021, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Not to mention, that were UA to sharply limit or eliminate alcohol onboard, it would tremendously enhance safety during emergency aircraft evacuations.

A change like this would not only make UA the Friendly Skies once again, but the Safest Skies.

This is a UA service change all FlyerTalkers would do well to encourage.
Negative Ghostrider. This FT'er will not be encouraging that policy change. No need to punish the masses for the misdeeds of a few. Although I could see UA adopting this in the short term to placate their FA's and any perceived positive press on this.

It definitely feels classist to allow Alcohol in the FC cabin & not in economy. If ANY airline feels that serving alcohol to a passenger puts their FA's & other passengers at risk, WHY is it OK for a FC passenger to consume alcohol and not economy passengers?
dshafiee and Dyce like this.
Old May 31, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
This has NEVER been about safety. Ok, maybe for the first 30 days while the world figured out what covid was all about. Since then, it's exclusively about cost. What I find incredibly hypocritical is the safety argument coming out of one side of UA's mouth and zero carbon emissions coming out of the other side. The landfills that are overflowing with what has replaced washable/reusable items are huge.
COULD NOT AGREE MORE!!! Too bad the money wasted on all the electro static cleaners won't get recouped. At the very beginning it was understandable to not pass glasses back and forth, to have simplified meal service. By June last year we knew for certain it was airborne and not going to get it touching your tray table. The Dole fruit cup will live in infamy and perpetuity as emblematic of overreaction in the guise of "safety".
Dyce likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I don't believe it's delayed for cost cutting, it sounds like it's delayed to avoid fist throwing. I, for one, have never understood alcohol availability on flights or in airports - it really has no place in either, and maybe a very limited option of one glass of wine with a meal served in premium class, but that's it. Too much bad inflight behavior comes directly from alcohol consumption before or during a flight.
The bad behavior has been taking place in the absence of alcohol being served in economy, so it couldn't have been the cause of the recent incidents. I haven't read anything that suggests that the Southwest incident was alcohol-related.

And the approach so far has been that alcohol is OK in premium cabins, but not, or only limited options in economy. Are first/business class passengers classier individuals, or just more profitable than giving away free beer to 1Ks in economy? What are we to understand from United offering wine but not spirits in premium economy? Are spirits more expensive or more dangerous?

Disallowing alcohol in the air will result in either people boozing up on the ground, or self-serving in the air (hence the constant reminders now that doing so is a violation of FAA regulations). Both of those outcomes are worse than FAs serving customers in the air.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 31, 2021 at 9:19 pm Reason: Very off-topic comments removed
Old May 31, 2021, 9:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Please let's return to UA in-flight service and action UA is taking. Discussion other airlines in their appropraite forums. General discussion of air rage belongs elsewhere/ Future off topic posts will be deleted.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old May 31, 2021, 10:52 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Glad you had an enjoyable meal.
Appetizer and dessert items IMHO are essential to make the product more complete and competitive.
Nobody's competing right now. Polaris flights are running at a loss. And even if longhaul vacation travel resurges now that folks are vaccinated, paid business may lag behind. Without the paid business class ticket sales necessary to make it worthwhile, I don't think you will see the sorts of appetizer and dessert items you are looking for unless UA decides to make them a goodwill gesture of some sort.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 6:12 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Nobody's competing right now. Polaris flights are running at a loss. And even if longhaul vacation travel resurges now that folks are vaccinated, paid business may lag behind. Without the paid business class ticket sales necessary to make it worthwhile, I don't think you will see the sorts of appetizer and dessert items you are looking for unless UA decides to make them a goodwill gesture of some sort.
Goodwill gesture? You're kidding, right?

Not sure about others, but for a $10K ticket the service is SEVERELY lacking. Just because the plane is half empty shouldn't mean nickel and diming customers who have paid for a (still) advertised level of service. And yes, I am booking other airlines with better f&b service for the majority of my international trips at the moment. United need to wake up and lead instead of consistently reacting (months later) to what other airlines are doing. Case in point: lounge re-openings.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 7:00 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I suspect the large corporate contracts will be the last to resume anything close to pre-COVID business travel, if only due to their bureaucratic style of management. In consulting, where even with travel management, the individual person controls a lot of their own travel choices, it is likely to come back faster when the employee concludes it will help their numbers. And that is where the soft product differential, as illustrated by the pictures above, may drive these fairly knowledgeable consumers away from Polaris.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by Dyce

Not sure about others, but for a $10K ticket the service is SEVERELY lacking. Just because the plane is half empty shouldn't mean nickel and diming customers who have paid for a (still) advertised level of service. And yes, I am booking other airlines with better f&b service for the majority of my international trips at the moment. United need to wake up and lead instead of consistently reacting (months later) to what other airlines are doing. Case in point: lounge re-openings.

Funny story from last night. A friend flew his family polaris back in March. His 11 year old son leans over to his 9 year old daughter and said (fairly loudly) "this business class SUCKS." My friend was pissed and mortified that his son would say something like that, and told his son to never say anything like that again. My friend, then leaned over to his wife and said "you know, he's not wrong."
SPN Lifer, Dyce and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 8:41 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE

There are two different populations of customers in this discussion. Those of us who exercise a lot of control over their choice of airlines for their flights and those whose options are more limited, due to preexisting conditions like status, employer/customer travel policy, etc.

It looks like you are in the first group (am am I). Personally, I have no loyalty to any specific carrier. I look at it from my personal perspective of value. Right now, UA long haul premium cabin flights are pretty low in value (at least from my perspective). And I strongly suspect it is the same for many/most others in this first group.

Originally Posted by Artpen100
I suspect the large corporate contracts will be the last to resume anything close to pre-COVID business travel, if only due to their bureaucratic style of management. In consulting, where even with travel management, the individual person controls a lot of their own travel choices, it is likely to come back faster when the employee concludes it will help their numbers. And that is where the soft product differential, as illustrated by the pictures above, may drive these fairly knowledgeable consumers away from Polaris.
I don't know the current situation for UA but when I as travelling a lot for business (ending 3+ years ago) the large corporate travel contract was UA's big money maker. UA had a large captive traveller market based on the contracts along with the MileagePlus elite/VIP groups. Hard product/soft product competitiveness was not really a priority from a UA perspective. I don't think that UA can continue with those assumptions (or it will be at a much higher risk than before if they do).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: united

I absolutely agree you should not pay $10K for UA Polaris right now. If you did, you did not get your money's worth and should choose other airlines.

But right now there are VERY few paid longhaul business class travelers. It's not like United is losing a ton of $10k tickets by degrading the product. They may be disappointing FF'ers who are upgrading into Polaris, but that's quite different than losing a bunch of full fare business travelers.

The swanky international business class service is produced by the travelers, mostly spending other people's money, who pay for those tickets. Until those people return in big numbers, this isn't likely to change and I do hope nobody in this forum spends $10K of their own money on a Polaris ticket.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I absolutely agree you should not pay $10K for UA Polaris right now. If you did, you did not get your money's worth and should choose other airlines.

But right now there are VERY few paid longhaul business class travelers. It's not like United is losing a ton of $10k tickets by degrading the product. They may be disappointing FF'ers who are upgrading into Polaris, but that's quite different than losing a bunch of full fare business travelers.

The swanky international business class service is produced by the travelers, mostly spending other people's money, who pay for those tickets. Until those people return in big numbers, this isn't likely to change and I do hope nobody in this forum spends $10K of their own money on a Polaris ticket.
Do we really know this to be true? Or even the whole story?

There is quite a bit of discussion around flyertalk of posters booking away to other carriers that have a more complete J service. I have to assume many of those really are doing what they say. Perhaps UA can keep a hypothetical $10k ticket on a negotiated contract, but they may be losing several $3k-$5k tickets from people with some discretionary power.

Personally UA has kept only some of my (of course now limited) international travel, and that is by giving me use of pluspoints. I would not even be willing to pay $2k.
SPN Lifer and cheltzel like this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

All this talk about $10K tickets - what markets are getting $10K besides capacity controlled SYD?
Old Jun 1, 2021, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
All this talk about $10K tickets - what markets are getting $10K besides capacity controlled SYD?
LAX-LHR

IAH-LHR

EWR-NRT

ORD-FRA
Old Jun 1, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
I get $2,595 round trip LAX-LHR in business class in August on united.com. I don't have time to look at the others.
bluedemon211 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I get $2,595 round trip LAX-LHR in business class in August on united.com. I don't have time to look at the others.
Sweet, if you're flying in August. If you're flying next week though, it's $10,230.
SPN Lifer, Dyce and truncated like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.