Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2020, 8:49 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LifetimeGS
My understanding from multiple flight attendants, is that they must observe your not wearing a mask, ask you to comply and have you fail to comply before they can report you for consideration to be put on the do-not-fly list. They have all been consistent that being put on the no-fly list is something that will never come as a surprise
Well, it's probably a matter of perception too and you're hearing the flight attendants' side. Flight attendants feel they are giving ample "warning" by asking. But anyone who warrants being put on the list is probably too oblivious and obstinate to realize it will happen. They might respond to a flight attendant with an excuse for not wearing the mask (I'm eating now or I'm taking a breather) and then just not comply. The mindset of a non-wearer (I'm in Business and nobody is next to me so...) is different than that of the flight attendant.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by nycityny
Well, it's probably a matter of perception too and you're hearing the flight attendants' side. Flight attendants feel they are giving ample "warning" by asking. But anyone who warrants being put on the list is probably too oblivious and obstinate to realize it will happen. They might respond to a flight attendant with an excuse for not wearing the mask (I'm eating now or I'm taking a breather) and then just not comply. The mindset of a non-wearer (I'm in Business and nobody is next to me so...) is different than that of the flight attendant.
While you may indeed be right, all of the flight attendants I broached this with said that in order to write this up and have it stick, the final warning to the passenger has to explicitly say that if they do not comply the flight attendant will have to write them up and that it may result in losing their ability to fly on United. One of the flight attendants said that one passenger said to her 'they wouldn't do that to me as a GS' and she replied, 'do you really want to take the chance?'
Old Sep 27, 2020, 6:01 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
While you may indeed be right, all of the flight attendants I broached this with said that in order to write this up and have it stick, the final warning to the passenger has to explicitly say that if they do not comply the flight attendant will have to write them up and that it may result in losing their ability to fly on United. One of the flight attendants said that one passenger said to her 'they wouldn't do that to me as a GS' and she replied, 'do you really want to take the chance?'
And we all know the consistency with which United flight attendants handle their jobs and how well they all follow the rules (when they know what they are). I don't mean to be so disparaging but one size does not fit all when it comes to flying experiences on United. A good chunk of the posts on Flyertalk are all about the inconsistencies.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

United has 25K flight attendants and pre-COVID anyway operated 5k flights / day. Of course with that kind of sample size there are going to be enough outliers on a weekly or monthly basis to populate a site like FT.

Interacting with flying customers is not like making hamburgers; every burger patty responds the same way, whereas people do not.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
yup, probably a GS cut from the same cloth as the 1K and GS over in the thread on closing accounts for abusing the program, who of course, got their accounts closed for abusing the program. Yes, they would do that.
SPN Lifer and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by DELee
Given how full Y is now because of no-blocking/loads over 70%, why not? What's the difference in terms of "contact"?

David
Prob still too broke, no real other excuse
Old Sep 29, 2020, 11:21 am

Some data points from recent flights

9/25 CHS-IAD CR7 F - Snack pack (2 snacks + wipe + water), full beverage offering, proactive refills. Plane was spotless (sat overnight in CHS)
9/25 IAD-PHL E145 Y - Nothing (but very friendly announcement encouraging the use of call button for requests). Plane was filthy (this one went back and forth IAD-PHL-IAD prior to this flight). Asked for additional wipes and got them no problem.

9/27 PHL-IAD E145 Y - Nothing (no announcement regarding use of call button for service, but flight time was 30 minutes). Plane was filthy (this was segment 4 or 5 of the day). Used my own wipes to try to scrub as much grime off as possible. Still waiting for the paycheck
9/27 IAD-CHS CR7 F - No snack pack (asked but wasn't loaded), full beverage offering, refills on request. Plane was spotless. PSU light not working, informed FA who said she would write it up.

Mesa operated the CR7 flights and Commutair on the E145s.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
PDB ORD-LGA on Sep 27, full alcohol. That shocked me a little (and I didn't partake!)
First Class FA was outstanding. Frequent checks for beverages, garbage, etc. Capacity was jammed in F, empty in E+. I did debate going back (CPU cleared at T-24).
Old Oct 2, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
What can I expect in domestic first class tomorrow?

1K flying United (or any airline) after 6 months, and upgraded for tomorrow’s flight. I remember the pre -COVID days in first.

Just wondering what I can expect different tomorrow? Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
The website will actually tell you: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...g-changes.html

You will board and get a alcohol wipe to clean your seat and area. Depending on how long your flight is you can still order drinks (beer/wine/cocktails).

-RM
Old Oct 2, 2020, 7:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by azfanboy
1K flying United (or any airline) after 6 months, and upgraded for tomorrow’s flight. I remember the pre -COVID days in first.

Just wondering what I can expect different tomorrow? Thanks.
You will probably get a more useful answer if you are a bit more specific -- quessing you are asking about food and beverage? or something else?

Also the length of the flight and route may matter.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Also the length of the flight and route may matter.
Exactly. Two very critical factors.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Is United Express pretty much following the same guidelines? What can I expect on a 2PM IAH-DCA flight on an E175 in FC?
Old Oct 6, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Is United Express pretty much following the same guidelines? What can I expect on a 2PM IAH-DCA flight on an E175 in FC?
Yes. I'd expect full beverage service and a choice of snack box (it was tapas or classic on AUS-LAX for me yesterday).
Old Oct 7, 2020, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by dkc192
Yes. I'd expect full beverage service and a choice of snack box (it was tapas or classic on AUS-LAX for me yesterday).
We had sandwiches IAD-AUS yesterday. The chicken ne was far better than the other. Both would have been better hot, but each was better than yet another box.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.