COVID-19 UA inflight service changes

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 19, 20, 2:21 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 14, 20, 7:14 am

Programs: DL DM
Flew DTW-ORD-BOS-IAD-DTW this weekend. The ORD-BOS and IAD-DTW were in Y. The Boston flight featured the usual bag followed by a full (non-alcoholic) beverage cart service for economy. It was late afternoon, and I had a cup of coffee. IAD-DTW offered nothing, but the flight attendant asked each passenger in economy if they would like a special-order drink.
Old Sep 14, 20, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
Flew DTW-ORD-BOS-IAD-DTW this weekend. The ORD-BOS and IAD-DTW were in Y. The Boston flight featured the usual bag followed by a full (non-alcoholic) beverage cart service for economy. It was late afternoon, and I had a cup of coffee. IAD-DTW offered nothing, but the flight attendant asked each passenger in economy if they would like a special-order drink.
I gotta give UA some credit for trying especially in Y; I mean airlines like DL aren't even offering full drink service in domestic Delta One these days
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 20, 5:44 pm

Programs: united
I did HNL-LAX-SEA and SEA-SFO-HNL last week, all in first. All segments offered coffee even though only SEA-SFO was in the advertised "coffee window." No Mai Tais, but small price to pay for the good service provided by all the crews.

Also, HNL-LAX-SEA both offered choice of Classic or Tapas box, SEA-SFO offered the goodie bag, and SFO-HNL only offered the Classic box, though I was in the last row so there might have been a choice earlier. To add a data point, the Tapas box had all the old standbys (hummus, cheese spread, crackers, etc.) in it.

Overall it was a fine experience, though I do miss the hot options and the sundaes/cookies/muffins and such. I dare to dream that they'll return soon.
Old Sep 15, 20, 9:30 am

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
BOS-EWR in 739F this morning. Bottle of water, hot coffee, Classic Snack Box, and snack basket. That's more than we got pre-COVID (used to be a scone only)!
Old Sep 15, 20, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
BOS-EWR in 739F this morning. Bottle of water, hot coffee, Classic Snack Box, and snack basket. That's more than we got pre-COVID (used to be a scone only)!
You win some and you lose some, I guess!
Old Sep 15, 20, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Just flew LAX-IAD-BTV United, BTV-CLT-DFW-SBA return on American. Interesting experiences.

Be happy United flyers at least you're still getting snack boxes up front and something in back (my United coach flight gave snack bags to everyone and two full beverage passes (non-alcoholic).

American gave nothing in back all three of my flights, and I paid to upgrade DFW-SBA, 3 hour flight, no food beyond a fig bar, although I did get great beverage service on that flight - multiple refills and very friendly FA. All flights in coach on American were a quick "for your safety, there is no service on this flight". First flight was 2 hours and 2nd was 2.5 hours

American also had no power outlets on 2 of the 3 flights, and of course it was the two longer flights. I've actually had power on any flight in 1st on United, for years now. So that was a surprise to be in 1st on American with no power outlets.

American still honoring the standard boarding process, which is the main thing that bothers me with UA these days - what's the point of having BG 1 on UA??

- Tom
Old Sep 16, 20, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
And for the return EWR-BOS (A319), drinks only, no snacks at all. "UA: Consistently Inconsistent."
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Sep 16, 20, 1:19 pm

Programs: Non-Rev, SkyMiles, Global Entry
Some data points from my latest trip in Y. First time in Y since resuming flying in June, all four flights were either completely full or full with 2-3 seats empty.

9/13 BDL-ORD on SkyWest DBA United Express E175, No snacks but limited beverage service that included sodas, juice, water, and even coffee. Ice was offered as well.

9/15 ORD-MSP on mainline A320 (upgrade from scheduled A319), No snacks but limited beverage service that included sodas, juice, and water. Ice was offered as well.

9/15 MSP-ORD on SkyWest DBA United Express E175, No snacks but limited beverage service that included sodas, juice, and water. No ice.

9/15 ORD-BDL on Republic DBA United Express E170, No snacks but limited beverage service that included sodas, juice, and water. No ice.

Overall I was quite happy that UA made an effort to give Y passengers a selection of beverages considering I was expecting no service at all on any route. I was also pleasantly surprised we got served a nearly full selection of beverages both on the mainline and Express flights to/from MSP considering even my own employer only served coffee/water on this route pre-COVID. If I'm flying economy any time soon again I'm definitely taking UA over AA or even my own airline.
AANYC1981 likes this.

Last edited by FlyEndeavorAir; Sep 16, 20 at 4:22 pm
Old Sep 16, 20, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir View Post
Some data points from my latest trip in Y. First time in Y since resuming flying in June, all four flights were either completely full or full with 2-3 seats empty.

9/15 MSP-ORD on SkyWest DBA United Express E175, No PDB, No snacks but limited beverage service that included sodas, juice, and water. No ice.

Overall I was quite happy that UA made an effort to give Y passengers a selection of beverages considering I was expecting no service at all on any route. I was also pleasantly surprised we got served a nearly full selection of beverages both on the mainline and Express flights to/from MSP considering even my own employer only served coffee/water on this route pre-COVID. If I'm flying economy any time soon again I'm definitely taking UA over AA or even my own airline.
(Emphasis mine) PDBs were never offered in Y even pre-Covid on any airline, let alone UA. Were you in F for the MSP-ORD leg?
Old Sep 16, 20, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
(Emphasis mine) PDBs were never offered in Y even pre-Covid on any airline, let alone UA. Were you in F for the MSP-ORD leg?
My mistake, I edited my post, I just copy and pasted the template from my post when I flew F in the AA forum.
Old Sep 16, 20, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by tstauck View Post
Just flew LAX-IAD-BTV United, BTV-CLT-DFW-SBA return on American. Interesting experiences.

Be happy United flyers at least you're still getting snack boxes up front and something in back (my United coach flight gave snack bags to everyone and two full beverage passes (non-alcoholic).

American gave nothing in back all three of my flights, and I paid to upgrade DFW-SBA, 3 hour flight, no food beyond a fig bar, although I did get great beverage service on that flight - multiple refills and very friendly FA. All flights in coach on American were a quick "for your safety, there is no service on this flight". First flight was 2 hours and 2nd was 2.5 hours

American also had no power outlets on 2 of the 3 flights, and of course it was the two longer flights. I've actually had power on any flight in 1st on United, for years now. So that was a surprise to be in 1st on American with no power outlets.

American still honoring the standard boarding process, which is the main thing that bothers me with UA these days - what's the point of having BG 1 on UA??

- Tom
On flights over 900 miles, AA is now offering a choice of yogurt parfait or turkey/swiss croissant for breakfast; fruit/cheese plate or turkey sandwich on lunch/dinner flights... a lot better than UA if you ask me
Old Sep 16, 20, 10:10 pm

Another interesting note, Republic DBA United Express has vastly offered more inflight service than Republic DBA American Eagle, which leads me to the conclusion AA told Republic "do what you want".
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 20, 9:09 am

Programs: UA PLAT, DL SLV
9/18 koa-sfo

First time flying on UA since March. Paid F.

For our 11:30PM departure we were given a bottle of water once everyone settled in. About 45 minutes in flight we were offered a classic snack box and our choice of beverages. Full beverage service including ice, wine, beer, booze, coffee, etc.

Exceptional crew. They kept the beverages flowing for the relatively short flight time of 4:30 and were very responsive.

Overall a very nice experience considering the times we’re in. We were offered much more than my friend over at DL has been receiving. It’s finally our turn and it sure is nice for a change lol

Last edited by ua2162; Sep 17, 20 at 10:07 am
Old Sep 17, 20, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 2.8MM, AAdvantage, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ua2162 View Post
First time flying on UA since March. Paid F.

For our 11:30PM departure we were given a bottle of water once everyone settled in. About 45 minutes in flight we were offered a classic snack box and our choice of beverages. Full beverage service including ice, wine, beer, booze, coffee, etc.

Exceptional crew. They kept the beverages flowing for the relatively short flight time of 4:30 and were very responsive.

Overall a very nice experience considering the times we’re in. We were offered much more than my friend over at DL has been receiving. It’s finally our turn and it sure is nice for a change lol
Wine still mini-bottles of swill from Y, or were they poured from 1.75 CL bottles a la pre-Kovid?
Old Sep 17, 20, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by st530 View Post
Wine still mini-bottles of swill from Y, or were they poured from 1.75 CL bottles a la pre-Kovid?
Still doing all sealed beverage service (except for coffee/tea, which are now available all day), so yes, still the shady lane and camelot plonk.

I think the bottles were only 0.75L bottles pre-virus?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: