Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2020, 3:49 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by emcampbe
...they won’t mix for you if you want baileys in your coffee, I think they can give you a coffee and a Baileys mini, and you have to pour/mix.
If they just have the coffee I'd be willing to pick up the pieces and go on with my life even if I have to mix it myself.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DELee
Ah, but isn't that the dichotomy of UAness - consistent inconsistency?

David
So, in a sense, very standard procedure!
Old Sep 1, 2020, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Doing a very early morning LAX -ORD flight and traveling in F in two weeks. What can expect service/food wise on that flight as I probably will have limited time and resources to get breakfast/food prior to the flight at or near LAX. From previous experience I suspect there will little if any food so I may try to bag something the night prior to the flight. Not sure if there have been any recent changes as I haven't flown in almost a month but now have several flights (domestic) coming up again.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by nomad420
Doing a very early morning LAX -ORD flight and traveling in F in two weeks. What can expect service/food wise on that flight as I probably will have limited time and resources to get breakfast/food prior to the flight at or near LAX. From previous experience I suspect there will little if any food so I may try to bag something the night prior to the flight. Not sure if there have been any recent changes as I haven't flown in almost a month but now have several flights (domestic) coming up again.
Hot drinks have returned to morning flights. As far as food goes, you can expect a snack box of some type.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Amazingly, IAD-ALB on Thursday, we had essentially normal service pre-covid on the ERJ145. FA came around with bottles of water, and then the tray with biscoff or stroopwaffle. I was pretty happy! My other flights in J or Y were a let down, standard stuff as reported.
That's the thing with running an airline with no consistency. Sometimes it works out in the positive.
I've had flights like that too. Sometimes they came around more than once with water and snacks in Y, sometimes I got absolute nothing in F.
I feel like COVID has helped them "get away" with their chronic inconsistency.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by nomad420
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Hot drinks have returned to morning flights. As far as food goes, you can expect a snack box of some type.
Just don't expect a choice of snack boxes. Some flights are only catered with one box type. Also, the contents of said boxes are varying and may not match contents advertised on united.com. Although I will admit even on boxes that had "odd" contents, the actual items were accurately labeled on the outside of the box. As always, YMMV.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 10:56 am

Flew SFO-PPT in Polaris and it was a disaster. My husband and I had seats together, but ended up getting separated at checkin. He was in the front row of the back mini-cabin and I was in the last row of the forward mini-cabin. I didn't notice this until we arrived at the gate, mentioned it to the gate agent and was told very rudely "Why didn't you check your boarding pass at checkin? The cabin is full so there's nothing we can do, you need to go ask the person next to you if they'd switch". I know stuff happens with seat assignments, but I didn't appreciate the attitude. A mere "sorry we moved your seat, we needed to accommodate another passenger traveling with young children (or any other reason). Can you check with your seatmate to see if they'd switch?" would have been fine.

The food was horrendous. For the main course, I was offered steak, salmon, or pasta. Since there was no menu (due to COVID), I asked what the pasta was, and the attendant said "Not sure what kind but it's vegetarian". Okay...?

The white wine that I ordered with the food was in a mini bottle and was disgusting. For the pre-arrival snack, we were given a saran wrapped cheese sandwich.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by benjinito
Flew SFO-PPT in Polaris and it was a disaster. My husband and I had seats together, but ended up getting separated at checkin. He was in the front row of the back mini-cabin and I was in the last row of the forward mini-cabin. I didn't notice this until we arrived at the gate, mentioned it to the gate agent and was told very rudely "Why didn't you check your boarding pass at checkin? The cabin is full so there's nothing we can do, you need to go ask the person next to you if they'd switch". I know stuff happens with seat assignments, but I didn't appreciate the attitude. A mere "sorry we moved your seat, we needed to accommodate another passenger traveling with young children (or any other reason). Can you check with your seatmate to see if they'd switch?" would have been fine.

The food was horrendous. For the main course, I was offered steak, salmon, or pasta. Since there was no menu (due to COVID), I asked what the pasta was, and the attendant said "Not sure what kind but it's vegetarian". Okay...?

The white wine that I ordered with the food was in a mini bottle and was disgusting. For the pre-arrival snack, we were given a saran wrapped cheese sandwich.
Be sure to complain about the cabin crew to UA. Probably won't do much but any negatives that could possibly help weed out these useless employees are worth it.
PACLipper and benjinito like this.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cmd320
Be sure to complain about the cabin crew to UA. Probably won't do much but any negatives that could possibly help weed out these useless employees are worth it.
Unfortunately, UA has a lot of bad apples flying long-haul. I write them up every time.
PACLipper and benjinito like this.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
On LAX-ORD today we were given the choice between the Tapas box and the Classic box. I got the Tapas box, and it contained all of the items. I was floored—I totally expected omissions and substitutions.
Old Sep 3, 2020, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by SS255
On LAX-ORD today we were given the choice between the Tapas box and the Classic box. I got the Tapas box, and it contained all of the items. I was floored—I totally expected omissions and substitutions.
Same for FLL EWR last week
Old Sep 3, 2020, 9:26 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
I'm considering a LGA-IAH flight for December 2020 and was wondering if there would be any difference between the food offering on a UA A319 at 1020am vs a UAX (Mesa) E-175 at 1215pm. I realize December is a lifetime away in the Covid-19 era, but based on what is offered now, would there be a better offering on UA vs Mesa?
Old Sep 3, 2020, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by wpcoe
I'm considering a LGA-IAH flight for December 2020 and was wondering if there would be any difference between the food offering on a UA A319 at 1020am vs a UAX (Mesa) E-175 at 1215pm. I realize December is a lifetime away in the Covid-19 era, but based on what is offered now, would there be a better offering on UA vs Mesa?
would be the same as of today - snack box either way. I prefer the 175 over the 319 personally (in any class).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 6:51 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
I'm confused regarding service, especially in Y.

On flights longer than 2h20m, is there a formal service, or is everything on request a la AA? The website says drinks are on request for flights less than an hour but doesn't say anything about a formal service.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by CLT
I'm confused regarding service, especially in Y.

On flights longer than 2h20m, is there a formal service, or is everything on request a la AA? The website says drinks are on request for flights less than an hour but doesn't say anything about a formal service.
ORD EWR on Wednesday had the beverage cart go down the aisle.

F had full bar service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.