Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ll-cabins.html

Updated posting July 2020 - Ice, tea and coffee returns and some small food enhancements.
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will be offering sealed beverages on all flights. If you’re on a flight under 1 hour, you’ll receive beverages on request. We’ll also offer coffee and tea on domestic flights departing before 9:45 a.m. and on all international and premium transcontinental flights. Non-alcoholic beverages are complimentary, and alcoholic beverages are complimentary in premium cabins. Wine and beer are also complimentary in United Economy® on long-haul international flights.

Food changes for domestic flights
We won't have snacks available in United Economy for flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes or in United First® for flights under 1 hour. As always, you're welcome to bring snacks on board. For flights between 1 hour and 2 hours and 20 minutes in United First, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks.

For flights 2 hours and 20 minutes or longer, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks in United Economy. In the premium cabin, you'll be offered a snack box.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you're flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you'll receive an "all-in-one" snack bag with a wrapped sanitizer wipe, 8.5-ounce bottled water and two snacks. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival on select flights.
orignal posting
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.

crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

COVID Era UA inflight service changes {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:42 pm

Programs: NEXUS, MileagePlus Silver, Frontier Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DELee
Just curious - what was the travel process before? Not needing prior approval?
Yes, not needing a justification. Only applied to non-productive travel, though (not directly billable to a customer).
Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
........ completely discontinue all inflight food and beverage services ........ and you can rest undisturbed on your journey."
"Sleep while you burn calories"

Fly UA and shed some pounds in your sleep!
Old Aug 14, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: Several
Actually received snacks in Y on yesterday’s mainline flight (not on express though, but they did serve coffee on the CRJ-200 for the morning flight). I’ve never seen these mini-tortilla chips before, but they expired on 8/20 so one week after my flight. Also received a pack of Biscoffs. Wasn’t offered a choice, just “would you like snacks?” and was handed both.

I’m thinking they were just trying to get rid of inventory before they expire. I didn’t see the expiration of the Biscoffs though.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
Actually received snacks in Y on yesterday’s mainline flight (not on express though, but they did serve coffee on the CRJ-200 for the morning flight). I’ve never seen these mini-tortilla chips before, but they expired on 8/20 so one week after my flight. Also received a pack of Biscoffs. Wasn’t offered a choice, just “would you like snacks?” and was handed both.

I’m thinking they were just trying to get rid of inventory before they expire. I didn’t see the expiration of the Biscoffs though.
Well, even a "let's dump the expiring trash on customers so we don't need to pay to have it hauled away" is better than what UA has been serving in coach for the past few months. Better than nothing.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 1:35 am

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Well, even a "let's dump the expiring trash on customers so we don't need to pay to have it hauled away" is better than what UA has been serving in coach for the past few months. Better than nothing.
I don’t really mind either way as my usual flights are 1.5 hours flying time. Service has been so sporadic throughout the last 6 months that I don’t really have any expectations, and anything above that is nice. One time, probably in April or early May, the FAs did the ‘service’ before we even pushed back from the gate. There were so few people aboard that they were able to hand out the mini water bottles before pushback.

I really feel for the regional cabin crews like Skywest that operate under different mainline carriers though because I can only imagine how difficult it is to keep track of which mainline carrier has which policy. Mainline cabin crew seem to struggle, and I don’t blame them. Now throw two or three competing strategies for cabin service in the mix for regionals.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Read on MatthewLAX's blog that they are going to discontinue offering craft beers onboard. Big from me...I would rather drink no-name wine than no-name beer on board.
EWRSNA likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
The latest from Matthew/Live and Let's Fly: https://liveandletsfly.com/united-airlines-craft-beer/

About the only thing they succeed at in this department these days is finding new ways to insult the customer.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dkc192
The latest from Matthew/Live and Let's Fly: https://liveandletsfly.com/united-airlines-craft-beer/

About the only thing they succeed at in this department these days is finding new ways to insult the customer.
I don't understand UA's strategy these days: business travel is pretty much dead so let's remove things (food, drink, lounges) leisure travellers enjoy?

Guess UA is really betting everything on a business travel rebound or maybe they spent all their budget with Clorox.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 12:25 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by leoo
I don't understand UA's strategy these days .....
Airlines are still hemorrhaging money and few are choosing flights based on beer offerings (or any food offering). Shortest, most direct flights (at the lowest cost) are what (non-FT) travelers are booking.
CruiserCLE and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Airlines are still hemorrhaging money and few are choosing flights based on beer offerings (or any food offering). Shortest, most direct flights (at the lowest cost) are what (non-FT) travelers are booking.
Fair point.
They probably determined that better service won't improve revenue and they're waiting for business travel to return.

Not all airlines have cut service though. From what I hear, some examples are ANA, Lufthansa and Qatar Airways.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Fair point.
They probably determined that better service won't improve revenue and they're waiting for business travel to return.

Not all airlines have cut service though. From what I hear, some examples are ANA, Lufthansa and Qatar Airways.
None of those fly domestic in the US and United does have food services on routes like ANA and LH operate, though not to the other airline's standards.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
None of those fly domestic in the US and United does have food services on routes like ANA and LH operate, though not to the other airline's standards.
I'm not very familiar with the domestic market.

If travellers are choosing by price and services are pretty much null, are customers switching to cheaper airlines like Spirit and Frontier? Unless UA is lowering domestic prices to their levels.
International fares are more expensive, from what I notice.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Well, I can save you some time, with the exception of premium trascon routes it's pretty woeful.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Fair point.

Not all airlines have cut service though. From what I hear, some examples are ANA, Lufthansa, and Qatar Airways.
Add the fact that there is a significant amount of people who are paying for Domestic First only for the extra space. I'm pretty sure that a US-based travellers priority on Domestic First would not be meals but the space, legroom, and the distance between passengers.

When American introduced hot meals for flights over 2200 miles during COVID, they have realized that this wasn't an important factor for paid First Class passengers, so they have changed the service to a cheese plate + snack basket service.

In addition, most airlines are currently doing a safety theater to cover up their cost-cutting measures.

By the way, Lufthansa has downgraded meal services on Economy Class on some routes; ANA has also downgraded their meal services even on long-haul ones.
Qatar Airways is an exception that they still provide their full service on all routes and all cabins.

If travellers are choosing by price and services are pretty much null, are customers switching to cheaper airlines like Spirit and Frontier? Unless UA is lowering domestic prices to their levels.
International fares are more expensive, from what I notice.
In my experiences in July 2020 and in my future USA trip this fall, the price difference between full-service carriers like UA, DL, AA, B6, etc... is almost the same with WN, NK, and F9. For the sake of cabin and checked baggage allowance when needed or for a club visit at the airport, I would prefer to pay that $10-20 difference for a full-service carrier.

However, I would not pay for Domestic First on DL, AA, UA with the exception of premium transcontinental routes with this price tariff. If I wanted to enjoy extra space, Spirit's Big Front seat is much cheaper than a legacy carriers DF.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
In addition, most airlines are currently doing a safety theater to cover up their cost-cutting measures.
Too bad some of us value food/service more than Clorox.

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
By the way, Lufthansa has downgraded meal services on Economy Class on some routes; ANA has also downgraded their meal services even on long-haul ones.
Qatar Airways is an exception that they still provide their full service on all routes and all cabins.
Sad that everything that makes air travel fun/bearable will likely be cut because they don't bring enough revenue.
I saw a recent ANA trip report (economy) and food looked exactly like pre-covid. Their economy service might catch up with Polaris soon if UA keeps with the cuts.

I have a Polaris trip next week so I'll soon see for myself how they compare.
ISTFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.