COVID-19 UA inflight service changes

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 18, 20, 5:31 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Safety updates to inflight dining
Your safety and the safety of our employees is our highest priority. To try and further limit potential exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19) on board, we’re temporarily adjusting our inflight service as of March 29 and will be moving to primarily pre-packaged foods and sealed beverages. Preorder meals and food for purchase will not be available. We’re also unable to offer special meals except for Kosher meals on flights to and from Tel Aviv.

Beverage changes for all flights
We will only offer sealed beverages and we will no longer offer ice, coffee and tea service, and poured alcohol. Instead of pouring you water from a large bottle, we’ll provide sealed individual water bottles. In premium cabins, we will offer beer and individual wines. Flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes will only have beverages on request.

Food changes for domestic flights
For flights under 2 hours and 20 minutes, we will not offer a snack service in any cabin. As always, you’re welcome to bring snacks on board.

For flights over 2 hours and 20 minutes, you will receive your choice of pretzels, a stroopwafel or cookies in United Economy®. In the premium cabin, you’ll be offered a snackbox.

Food changes for premium transcontinental flights
If you’re flying in United Economy or Economy Plus®, you’ll be offered a snack choice. Customers in the premium cabin will receive their packaged meal with their entrée choice covered and will be offered a packaged snack for pre-arrival.

Food changes for international flights
In United Economy®, you’ll receive an entrée, a snack and packaged dessert, as well as pre-packed mid-flight and pre-arrival items on select flights. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap.

In United Premium Plus® and United Polaris® business class, your entrée, dessert and bread will be served together. Everything is served packaged or covered for you to unwrap. You’ll receive a pre-packaged snack for midflight and a fresh packaged meal for pre-arrival.
crew meals, covered by contract, appear minimally changed
Print Wikipost

Old May 22, 20, 10:01 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
They are 187.5 mL plastic bottles, white is Camelot Chardonnay, red is an Australian Shiraz.

Not sure I'd quite put it in the rot-gut category, but might be best advised to order a Sprite alongside and make a spritzer if you definitely want wine.
They are both not bad. Not great, but not bad for coach wines.
Old May 22, 20, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
They are both not bad. Not great, but not bad for coach wines.
Coach wines indeed -- and only available in Business / First!
Old May 22, 20, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
They are 187.5 mL plastic bottles, white is Camelot Chardonnay, red is an Australian Shiraz.

Not sure I'd quite put it in the rot-gut category, but might be best advised to order a Sprite alongside and make a spritzer if you definitely want wine.
Would I be correct then, no champagne now in Polaris Business Class internationally?
Old May 22, 20, 11:54 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer View Post
What are "individual wines"????? ... Or poured from regular bottles?
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO View Post
Would I be correct then, no champagne now in Polaris Business Class internationally?
No poured beverages.
Old May 22, 20, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Really interesting to see the vast differences in Premium Class beverage offerings between them all.

AA on LAX-JFK, as you know, was open bar the whole flight in Business (with refills proactively offered). Also for wine they had multiple normal sized bottles of both red and white....FA even brought both whites over to me so I could see and choose. They even left the bottles out on the galley counter so it would be easy to get another plastic cup of wine on your way back from the bathroom (poured by an FA of course).
restlessinRNO, st530 and cmd320 like this.
Old May 22, 20, 1:24 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
What is the supply chain or cleanliness issue with mini liquor? Doesn’t make sense to not cater this.
Just my opinion, but I think this is a result of them trying to reduce the number of person-to-person contact points to reduce the opportunity for the virus to spread. Don't see how it would be for cost savings as liquor sales should be a profit center. Same with buy-on-board items.

If the virus is spreading easily with the casual contacts, the virus could be spread from a single infected passenger contaminating an F/A's hands who then spreads to to a large number of other passengers.
Old May 22, 20, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
Don't see how it would be for cost savings as liquor sales should be a profit center. Same with buy-on-board items.
There's a lot of supply chain fixed costs which have to be recovered before the marginal profits come rolling in, and with loads down this much they probably struggle to break even (and some of these items are free in F).

I don't doubt it's also helping reduce contact points, but it definitely cuts costs.
Old May 22, 20, 2:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Wish they have taken a page from AC - while AC does not serve anything right now, they had 187ml of Prosecco for sale in coach.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old May 22, 20, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
No poured beverages.
As the Polaris Lounges are currently closed, no pre-departure glass of champagne. It makes one wonder if paying extra for business class is worth it. UA could always offer an individual 1/2 bottle of champagne to pax who request it on these long TPAC flights. Then I would pour myself!
Old May 22, 20, 6:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
As the Polaris Lounges are currently closed, no pre-departure glass of champagne. It makes one wonder if paying extra for business class is worth it. ...
Can not saying that booze (am a light drinker) was ever a driver in selecting a business class seeking or seeking an upgrade. The seat (and some perhaps some increase in privacy) has been 90% of the reason, higher mileage earning (at one time) was probably the next factor and amenities a distant third. Understand others have different priorities but those were mine.
Old May 22, 20, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SBUX Gold

As the Polaris Lounges are currently closed, no pre-departure glass of champagne. It makes one wonder if paying extra for business class is worth it. UA could always offer an individual 1/2 bottle of champagne to pax who request it on these long TPAC flights. Then I would pour myself!
Depends on the loads. If I knew I was going to get an empty seat next to me, or possibly an entire row, then the difference I'd be willing to pay between Y & J would certainly decrease.
restlessinRNO and cmd320 like this.
Old Yesterday, 8:51 am

Programs: DL DM | EY G | EK G | UA G
UA F Cabin Service Changes?

Is United providing meals etc to transcon/domestic FC flights are going the Delta route and throwing out a bag of cheetos and water? I read AA did not cheapen the service, but what DL has done is atrocious.
Old Yesterday, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Basically no service. Water only. See COVID aircraft changes to premium transcon flights, no more flatbeds flights?
Old Yesterday, 9:22 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
This is for your health and safety!

Also, please pay the same fares as before.
Old Yesterday, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
where are you reading this? There is still service in the front cabin on transcon routes AFAIK

Search this Thread
Search Engine: