Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How much of your money does UA hold right now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 27, 2020, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
For schedule changes/cancellations >6 hours on wholly DOMESTIC US itineraries, UA should be refunding (look under Schedule Change table).
https://jetstream.united.com/#/sub-l...6000006V2voEAC

For schedule changes/cancellations >6 hours on involving international itineraries, UA is providing credit. However, if flight departs EU on schedule changes/cancellations >5 hours, they are going against EC261/2004 if not refunding.
Notice of Passenger RIghts provided under EC261/2004 is linked on UA page.
Print Wikipost

How much of your money does UA hold right now?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Thankfully I have zero cash liability with United but I do have 310k miles that is at risk should UA go under.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA GS
12k in cancelled tickets and 70k in my Passplus account.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 9:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, United 1K, Southwest Preferred Plus
Question regarding this. Like many of you I have had to cancel/rearrange flights. As I have been doing this, either by phone or online, I hear conflicting terms and get even more conflicting emails. Usually on the phone they would suggest just re-book with the confirmation number and you can use the credit. Online, I would get a response that I would get a electronic travel certificate emailed to me. I have about eight flights cancelled and for two of them I received an email my card would be reimbursed. They said it would take 10 business days and now it has been 18 and nothing. I have also not received any travel certificates for the others.

I understand it is an unusual situation right now but I guess I confused about keeping track of my "money" with United. Any help, tips or suggestions? Thanks!
Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA-½K
$1500 and 150K miles. Small change for some of you...

Perhaps we are spinning this the wrong way. Try: "United is refusing to refund me, so they are basically taking may stimulus check as an interest free loan."
Old Apr 3, 2020, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by stimpy
What sucks? I just posted above and others as well that UA will give you a refund if you politely insist.
I phoned yesterday and politely insisted on a refund. I read a lot of FT posts plus this article before the call.

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...s-15166301.php

I used the “DOT” and “COC” terms during the call with both agent and then supervisor to get the refund. It did take awhile with the people having to really encourage the ECT. Finally the supervisor put me on hold and then offered 4 options with #4 being the actual refund option with the caveat of 7-10 business days. Once we had the verbal confirmation about this, I thanked him profusely, wished him well, pledged my return to UAL once we could fly again, and assurance of the highest scores if I receive a survey. He made the appropriate responses.
I just hope that my cc gets that refund!
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:41 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
DoT just gave a warning to airlines they must provide refunds upon request for airline-initiated cancellations.

https://www.transportation.gov/brief...mpact-covid-19
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by seawolf
DoT just gave a warning to airlines they must provide refunds upon request for airline-initiated cancellations.

This is good news that DoT seems to be taking this seriously but they have not outlined what a significant delay is. Hopefully united rethinks their ridiculous schedule change policy.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 12:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Sp we don't end up with parallel discussions, please use this thread for
Originally Posted by fumje
Between "pending" refunds, travel certificates, not-yet flown reservations, travelbank cash (OK, that isn't quite "your" money) -- or even passplus -- etc., how much of your money is tied up in UA's accounts right now? ....
and for refund discussion -- use COVID19 Schedule Change (now 6+hrs)/Cancellation Refund, UA generally denying refunds

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Apr 3, 2020, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
All together: $10121 plus 170k M+ miles in ticketed flights - almost entirely personal funds, almost all of the OPM travel was cancelled and refunded a couple months ago.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 7:24 am
RNE

UA (a company that used to fly planes places) holds $5,200+ of my dollars (hostage) while I wait for it to "officially cancel" flights to/from FCO/MXP, despite knowing it won't fly those flights which are just 3½ weeks from now.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by seawolf

glad the DOT is taking this seriously and our complaints were heard. In particular with the tax payer bailout it seems even more ridiculous to abuse customers as banks proving interest-free loans.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
About $700 in flight credits and under 200,000 miles combined in our family.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
$4k for a ticketed trip in F in mid-August and 54k miles. Hopefully we will all be up in the air this summer and the borders will be re-opened...

Fare has not yet dropped for this routing so maybe UA thinks it can sell more tickets...
Old Apr 7, 2020, 10:18 pm

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Almost $14,000 in tickets that I cancelled and couldn't get refunds for (sitting as cancelled itineraries I can use to rebook tickets when I start traveling again (hopefully in June) without a change fee due to the crisis, but no option given for refund). The trips (Germany, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Belgium, United Kingdom) were worth 100,000 award miles. Last flew March 3rd, had already flown around $7K in PQP so far this year but nothing since....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.