Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Time to get rid of my miles?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:05 pm

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by Often1
Bottom line is that banking miles is never a great idea and if you are sitting on a ton right now, maybe it's better to cut losses even though the program will likely survive.
Of note is UA slashed the value for GCs, presumably to save cash.

Don't know of any moves right now that make sense with points/miles, and similar to stocks, if you can weather the downturn and not sell/redeem, things will probably get better once we're through this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:19 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
because of the current mess it looks like we are going to be taking back about 300K mlles from a family trip we have to cancel in the next few months....in addition to $1500 that we will get in an ETC when our May vacation gets canceled... are we having fun yet?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by milypan
People on the VS forum are talking about how AN customers lost all their miles after the bankruptcy, despite claims on FT that no such thing would happen.

I would not expect any US3 miles to become worthless by next year, but given that they're probably depreciating by at least 10% per annum even during normal times, OP might ask themself why they're sitting on so many miles to begin with.
Well, I’m the OP, and I simply traveled too much for work to ever use them for any personal travel. I have burned about 200k in the past month or two on a few weekend trips, but largely I just didn’t need them . I guess if I lose them it’s no big deal since I never used them anyway.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:34 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
You might consider donating them to a worthwhile charity both to do good, and, maybe you get a decent charitable deduction???
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jonsail
You might consider donating them to a worthwhile charity both to do good, ...
Always a good option
Originally Posted by jonsail
and, maybe you get a decent charitable deduction???
Not allowed, as IRS does not consider miles as income or an asset but rather as non-taxable rebate which you don't own. The donation is consider to actually be coming from the airline to the charity.
SPN Lifer, Often1 and Rumples like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
VTFW had an interesting piece that even if UA entered bankruptcy MP would likely be protected since its one of the most profitable areas of the company. I'm not to worried about miles going away.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:27 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
My wife is Asian, holding close to a million miles, her and her family will use them, back and forth going to college.

UA has the best deals for those routes,
Old Mar 25, 2020, 10:23 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Tempted to spend 1/3 of them to get a couple of iPads and a faster Mac mini, $0.0008 per mile is a 1/3 less than the last value I saw online of $0.012 per mile. Not a great value but with the constant devaluation and possible risk of loss with no value it might be an OK use.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K \\ ConciergeKey
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Always a good option
Not allowed, as IRS does not consider miles as income or an asset but rather as non-taxable rebate which you don't own. The donation is consider to actually be coming from the airline to the charity.
WHOA. I did not know that! That's insane that the MileagePlus donation charities they do are actually credited to UA instead of the person who is donating those miles...interesting. Can see the argument both ways, but thought it was an interesting data point.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Yes get rid of rid of your miles, more award seat available for me in the future
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tht
Tempted to spend 1/3 of them to get a couple of iPads and a faster Mac mini, $0.0008 per mile is a 1/3 less than the last value I saw online of $0.012 per mile. Not a great value but with the constant devaluation and possible risk of loss with no value it might be an OK use.
I would highly recommend the iPad Pro. I have the 11-inch and it is great for planes/boring hotel rooms.

For me, I would consider getting the Jura D6 espresso machine. It’s about $1000 for an automatic machine that grinds, pours the shot, and cleans itself. Hard to justify spending that much cash on a coffee machine but a gift to myself using miles...maybe I can get behind that. Although I think I will end up just using my miles for flights.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
If I had 2M miles, then I would use 1.2M miles on stuff now as long as I could use it in the house. I have roo
for a better coffee machine but not for gym equipment :-)
Old Mar 25, 2020, 3:23 pm
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by BusinessCasualSport
I would highly recommend the iPad Pro. I have the 11-inch and it is great for planes/boring hotel rooms.

For me, I would consider getting the Jura D6 espresso machine. It’s about $1000 for an automatic machine that grinds, pours the shot, and cleans itself. Hard to justify spending that much cash on a coffee machine but a gift to myself using miles...maybe I can get behind that. Although I think I will end up just using my miles for flights.
I think the iPad Pro would be overkill for my 5 and 3 year old mini tht’s...
Old Apr 7, 2020, 1:09 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I didn’t want anything but I got my wife that Apple Watch 5. Crappy use of miles, but she is happy.
Dublin_rfk likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I use my iPad2 from 2011 for some video games, iTunes video watching, and safari browser to watch YouTube since the YT app needs an update that the iPad can’t get.

I should check on what my 200k miles can get because it’s 75k one way one pax for a F flight Sfo/ORD, about $500 for 75000 miles. I have zero other real destinations in mind and definitely nowhere for months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.