Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Viability / Financial Future due to the COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Please do not modify or remove
In recent days a number of threads have started touching on the impacts on UA as a business going forward due to the travel disruption of COVID-19 --- including multiple Viability / Bankruptcy / Bailout discussions. While inconceivable a few months ago, UA (and all commercial airlines) is facing challenges that are uncharted.

This consolidated thread has been created by merging a number of existing threads that trend to address essentially the same subjects.

Some thread guidelines
-- This thread / forum is for discussing UA and the UA traveler, so please focus on UA in these discussions. Other forums exist to discuss other carriers or the industry in general -- we do just UA here.
-- This thread is for discussion of how UA gets from here to its future state.
-- All the standard FT rules apply. We will have a civil, constructive, collegial discussion -- even in these turbulent times.
-- While much of this will play out in the political arena, this forum is not the place for political / OMNI discussions. Please use threads in appropriate forums for that, such as Covid-19 US tax cuts or fiscal stimulus
-- Similarly, discussions of the evils / greed of corporations or other broad societal issues are out of scope, those are for OMNI -- let's stick to discussing UA, its past and its future here
-- Please do not start new threads on these topics in the UA forum. One reason for this consolidated thread was to minimize the redundant posts in separate threads. There is plenty of room in the scope of this thread to cover all aspects of these topics. (Note things like M&A, restructuring, ... would all be in scope).
-- Please once you have laid out your position, do not repetitively re-state that opinion. It is usually a better discussion if many participate vs a few dominating the thread

On behalf of the UA Moderator Team
WineCountryUA

Print Wikipost

UA's Viability / Financial Future due to the COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fly18725
Possible. Kirby was asked about it on the investor call today and flatly denied government support was of interest to United. I think all the airlines would love to see lower taxes though....
He may be singing a very different tune by the end of the year.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Gold
redeposit fee waived for canceled award tix

Originally Posted by st3
IMHO, even if they are not willing to waive the redeposit fee it is a small price to pay for using fewer MP miles AND better routing.
I went ahead and called UA yesterday 3/10 to change these 2 tickets. After waiting 77 minutes hold they picked up. I first tried to change to the better flights but the agent could not get the tickets to reprice at 60K miles. He said I should cancel and have the miles redeposit and then rebook the new ticket myself. He said if I canceled online there would be a redeposit fee but if I canceled with him over the phone no charge. He said the miles should be back in my account within 2 hours. While I was still on the phone with him I logged out and logged in and the 70K miles were there. Quickly rebooked the tickets 60K, no problem. I saved 20K miles total and 3 hours of travel. I just hope there are still plans flying to Europe June 23, that everything doesn't get cancelled.
jsloan and st3 like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
One thing might help...Saudi Arabia is threatening to flood the oil markets. Now we could debate the OVERALL effects on the economy at large...But we won't.

Suffice to say that the airline model works better with less expensive fuel.

That was a big problem after 9/11. Oil prices spiked and the model just doesn't work with $125bbl oil.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by susiesan
I just hope there are still plans flying to Europe June 23, that everything doesn't get cancelled.
Glad you were shown some flexibility - I'm hoping for some of that love myself.

As to planes still flying in June, it's clear that they are planning very significant cutbacks. However, even if you get re-routed you are still 10k miles better off than before.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by dilanesp
​​​​​​There's a big data point against your position: cabotage rules. If the public really viewed US airlines as horrible, you would see support for foreign competition coming in. Quite the opposite- basically every politician, even big time free traders, knows relaxing cabotage rules is political suicide. The public does not want the big 3 airlines to fail.
I think it's a mistake to assume that representatives, who are lobbied extensively by the airlines, necessarily vote in a way that is consistent with how the public would view the issue.
wanderingkev likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by climmy
One thing might help...Saudi Arabia is threatening to flood the oil markets. Now we could debate the OVERALL effects on the economy at large...But we won't.
United (and CO before it) always had the benefit of oil price collapses mitigated somewhat by commensurately reduced business travel demand from petroleum companies. Fortunately, the IAH region is less oil-dependent than it was during the last crash, and UA is more diversified away from IAH as a domestic linchpin, but that's still a structural challenge for the company in times of steep oil price declines. UA also has the most service to the shale oil-producing regions of the US, which are taking a pounding.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EWR764
United (and CO before it) always had the benefit of oil price collapses mitigated somewhat by commensurately reduced business travel demand from petroleum companies. Fortunately, the IAH region is less oil-dependent than it was during the last crash, and UA is more diversified away from IAH as a domestic linchpin, but that's still a structural challenge for the company in times of steep oil price declines. UA also has the most service to the shale oil-producing regions of the US, which are taking a pounding.
Airlines (and fuel suppliers) are usually not paying spot prices for fuel from the refiners, so it'll probably be months to work through (what I am sure are ) higher priced hedges and take advantage of lower prices. Although I don't have direct contact w/ any fuel traders, I bet they're not committing jet fues at prices proportional to current crude spot prices.

I seem to recall DL bought a refinery at some point. They might be able to lock in some cheaper oil prices if they don't have long-term supply commitments to a producer(s).

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 11, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Airlines (and fuel suppliers) are usually not paying spot prices for fuel from the refiners, so it'll probably be months to work through (what I am sure are ) higher priced hedges and take advantage of lower prices. Although I don't have direct contact w/ any fuel traders, I bet they're not committing jet fues at prices proportional to current crude spot prices.
It's true that airlines are not paying spot prices but US carriers will benefit (on an opex basis) from lower fuel prices pretty quickly. Most US airlines got out of speculative oil trading/hedging by 2015 after losing their shirts several times over. Kirby noted this in the call yesterday, specifically to point out that EU carriers are still substantially hedged and will not share in the current oil price drop.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It's true that airlines are not paying spot prices but US carriers will benefit (on an opex basis) from lower fuel prices pretty quickly. Most US airlines got out of speculative oil trading/hedging by 2015 after losing their shirts several times over. Kirby noted this at the JPM conference yesterday, specifically to point out that EU carriers are still substantially hedged and will not share in the current oil price drop.

Originally Posted by 757FO
Seriously? I will be the first to admit the virus is being over hyped, but it is disrupting millions of lives, and could very well crush the airline I have worked at for almost 2 decades. We are already seeing the airline offer some pilots reduced guaranteed hours, to not fly for a month. People's jobs are at risk... But gosh, as long as you are happy, who cares...
United is in a dramatically different position heading into this crisis than it was for 9/11. Simply put, the company has a lot of cash, a lot of assets, and strong fundamentals. I'm not concerned about a short-term collapse or bankruptcy, but I am less sanguine about the long term, especially to the extent that business travel patterns (and spending) change permanently from a reevaluation of corporate travel policies.

There's no doubt United's model is at serious risk of upheaval.
tuolumne likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 13, 2020 at 1:06 am Reason: split post
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

United is in a dramatically different position heading into this crisis than it was for 9/11. Simply put, the company has a lot of cash, a lot of assets, and strong fundamentals. I'm not concerned about a short-term collapse or bankruptcy, but I am less sanguine about the long term, especially to the extent that business travel patterns (and spending) change permanently from a reevaluation of corporate travel policies.
UA's expenses last year suggested a run rate of $100 million per day; meanwhile, net bookings have dropped 70% domestically and 100% to Europe and Asia. Yes, some of those expenses can (and will) be cut, but $5 billion cash on hand doesn't sound as rosy when you cast it as "50 days' expenses."

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 13, 2020 at 1:07 am Reason: split post
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
UA's expenses last year suggested a run rate of $100 million per day; meanwhile, net bookings have dropped 70% domestically and 100% to Europe and Asia. Yes, some of those expenses can (and will) be cut, but $5 billion cash on hand doesn't sound as rosy when you cast it as "50 days' expenses."
It's not just cash ($6b at the moment... $8b total but $2b is untouchable), its a much larger fleet of unencumbered assets (airplanes) than in previous crises, plus more ready access to capital than any other time in the company's history. Not to mention the likely availability of government loan guarantees if things get really bad.

United isn't on a "50 days to broke" timetable... nowhere near it. Most people in the business are planning for 6-9 months of dramatic revenue disruption (with a worst-case scenario of the percentages Kirby mentioned yesterday) and all of the majors are healthy enough to absorb that.

If things aren't clearly recovering a year from now, we will probably be looking at some Chapter 11 filings.

You need to meet some new pessimists. :/ If you apply the current fatality rate -- or even a more realistic rate that accounts for the fact that a lot of mild cases haven't been identified -- to some of the more pessimistic infection rates, you definitely end up with millions of deaths.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 13, 2020 at 1:07 am Reason: split post
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:37 pm

If things aren't clearly recovering a year from now, we will probably be looking at some Chapter 11 filings.
We don't need a year, if this would heavily affect summer travel, we would see Chapter 11's. This is in line with the 6-9 months counting from when the crisis started. However, there is absolutely no reason to assume this would be the case given what we know about the virus. They're going to have to run some promos though to fill those INTL widebodies.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:10 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
I think its inevitable that there will be at least regional groundings if not a full nationwide flying ban in another 10 days or so. And even if its regional shutdowns, UA may not want to bother to waste fuel and crews on hub and spoke operations that don't bring anyone that wants to travel to where they go.

I'm glad UA lined up cash to protect themselves, but the impacts of all of the associated industries (like everyone at the airports, car rentals, etc) will probably make things look very different when we come out of the pandemix than they were before.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:51 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by jsloan
You're good with math. Tel me how bookings have dropped 100% to Europe and Asia while United is still flying planes over there. A drop of 100% implies nobody is flying. (Which I guess is the case -- there are 12 booked in business to Japan on a Saturday in April... that's unheard of!)

Now, is it that net bookings = new booking - refunds, and if those cancel out, then they achieve net zero revenue for their international destinations? Anybody know the split between domestic/intl revenue and profit? And does net bookings = net revenue or net # of reservations?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:27 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by narvik
How Much Longer Can United Bleed?

Until they've alienated the last 1K and there's none left!
You say that half-jokingly, but I think there’s a real risk that Kirby’s arrogance could screw the carrier. I was one of the 1Ks who gave up trying to requalify for this year when the threshold was raised to $18K and flight distance was made totally irrelevant. (I’m Platinum now.)

Worse, I took Delta’s status-match challenge and have been spending Q1 on Delta. And I like it! (Delta’s far from perfect, but I’ve generally found the service nicer, and I’ve lucked out on JFK-LAX upgrades that United doesn’t even make possible.)

So, after spending about 15 years getting to 950,000 lifetime miles, my loyalty is rapidly zooming to DL. I’ll go for UA Million-Miler status, but I’m feeling much less sadness for United than I otherwise would. And low fares won’t be enough to get me onboard, especially since the miles won’t matter.

I hope and expect that United will pull through, mainly for the employees and in small part for my own account. But I feel very little loyalty to the company itself, and that means I may not be back for a while even after this pandemic subsides.

I don’t think I’m the only former loyalists whom UA’s driven off during the halcyon days of the economic climax. And I think that will hurt the carrier later this year.
narvik likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.