Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Viability / Financial Future due to the COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Please do not modify or remove
In recent days a number of threads have started touching on the impacts on UA as a business going forward due to the travel disruption of COVID-19 --- including multiple Viability / Bankruptcy / Bailout discussions. While inconceivable a few months ago, UA (and all commercial airlines) is facing challenges that are uncharted.

This consolidated thread has been created by merging a number of existing threads that trend to address essentially the same subjects.

Some thread guidelines
-- This thread / forum is for discussing UA and the UA traveler, so please focus on UA in these discussions. Other forums exist to discuss other carriers or the industry in general -- we do just UA here.
-- This thread is for discussion of how UA gets from here to its future state.
-- All the standard FT rules apply. We will have a civil, constructive, collegial discussion -- even in these turbulent times.
-- While much of this will play out in the political arena, this forum is not the place for political / OMNI discussions. Please use threads in appropriate forums for that, such as Covid-19 US tax cuts or fiscal stimulus
-- Similarly, discussions of the evils / greed of corporations or other broad societal issues are out of scope, those are for OMNI -- let's stick to discussing UA, its past and its future here
-- Please do not start new threads on these topics in the UA forum. One reason for this consolidated thread was to minimize the redundant posts in separate threads. There is plenty of room in the scope of this thread to cover all aspects of these topics. (Note things like M&A, restructuring, ... would all be in scope).
-- Please once you have laid out your position, do not repetitively re-state that opinion. It is usually a better discussion if many participate vs a few dominating the thread

On behalf of the UA Moderator Team
WineCountryUA

Print Wikipost

UA's Viability / Financial Future due to the COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2020, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by bocastephen
A strong UA comes from competent management, focused on the customer experience, product competitiveness and employee welfare....UA doesn't have that kind of leadership, hence our ongoing problems.
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Please back up sweeping generalized statements like this, specially since most competent analysts and experts would conclude exactly the opposite on all 3 items you mention. Ongoing problems are representative of a global pandemic that has pulled the entire airline industry in every country to the brink.
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Normally I would agree with you, but things have changed. I’m not thrilled that if and when I get to see my wife and kids again I won’t get my normal meal or drink service. I’ll simply be happy to see them again. So many friends at UA, so many frequent flyer friends that need UA to succeed. My gripes about status or club stuff are so unimportant right now I’m simply trying to survive.
Just look at other businesses with leadership that focuses on the customer experience, product competitiveness (or uniqueness), and employee welfare - they have always outperformed any company like United, where those 3 items are less important. Could anyone claim Delta offers an inferior product, customer experience and working environment to United? I think not. Does Nordstrom not outperform Macy's? This is a pretty straightforward analysis.
Pandemic is external shock that very few companies are well positioned to thrive, except essential businesses and Amazon-Walmart and some companies tailor made for extended shutdown environment (video games, video conferencing, streaming, cloud storage, etc.).

But most people and companies and even local/state governments are just trying to survive til some semblance of normalcy can return.
This can happen if no available vaccine but herd immunity develops when 60-70% population is infected (but millions will probably die), or if mass produced cheap vaccine becomes miraculously available in 18-24 month time. Yes, this is possible fantasy and definitely moonshot effort because no vaccine has ever been successfully deployed in less than 4 years (mumps vaccine). But then vaccine development has never been so globally focused with such sense of urgency.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...is/2983177001/

Separate from pharmaceuticals giants developing their own vaccines and manufacturing capacity, there is the Coalition of Epidemic Preparedness Innovation (CEPI) financing 10 vaccine candidates - funded by 14 governments as well as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the U.K.'s Wellcome Trust. Bill Gates has committed $billions through his foundation to fund simultaneous development of at least 7 viable experimental vaccine candidates and corresponding specialized factories to mass produce vaccine to make this a practical reality.

Nordstrom & Nieman Marcus are by many metrics better than Macys, but all three chains are poised to enter bankruptcy by mid-summer if department stores continue to suffer loss of traffic during extended shutdown of non-essential businesses. Many tech companies are laying off people. Entire travel industry is being decimated. Delta and Southwest are acknowledged to be better run than UA, but all are being affected by travel collapse and need to raise cash and reduce expenses to survive burn rate.

UA management is logical to raise funds through all possible avenues to survive cash burn for next 24 months. If secondary stock equity offering fails to attract buyers at original set price and need to be lowered, that is the function of this pandemic environment for investor risk aversion toward travel industry. It’s not about losing face, it’s about survival. I’m realistic some US airlines will enter bankruptcy if no practical & cost effective vaccine is available in 18-24 month time. But I prefer to remain hopeful this will not happen, and UA will pull through when travel demand is somewhat restored, along with meal/drink service and Polaris Lounges.
TerryK, tuolumne and fly18725 like this.

Last edited by npei; Apr 24, 2020 at 1:56 am
Old Apr 24, 2020, 6:50 am

The banks are less important - it's the market's voice that is most important. Obviously the underwriting banks see, or at least saw, a huge fee opportunity and when this deal was negotiated, perhaps believed a turning point in the virus fight was viable within a few months. Now the ink on their deal is long dry, and that turning point is now far in the distance, unseen at this time, and the market has pushed UA stock below the initial offer price, which thus puts both the banks and United in a rather embarrassing pickle.

Maybe one more piece of sage advice from Ed Bastian, like this week, and UA stock could hit $19-20 by the offer date - that won't be pretty.
The sharing offering closed. Who is in an embarrassing pickle?
Old Apr 24, 2020, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Seems to me UA is fine on this deal, the share offering priced at $26.50 which was a 4.5% discount at the time. The people who paid that price and are now upside down in their trade are in the pickle at the moment.

With that said, looking back I wonder what UA paid for those shares in their buybacks..
Old Apr 24, 2020, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by gmt4
With that said, looking back I wonder what UA paid for those shares in their buybacks..
A LOT more!
Old Apr 24, 2020, 2:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If interested, UA has released the initial details of it's CARES funding

some "highlights"
On April 20, 2020, in connection with the Payroll Support Program, United entered into a Payroll Support Program Agreement (the “PSP Agreement”)with the U.S. Treasury Department providing the Company with total funding of approximately $5.0 billion
On April 20, 2020, UAL issued a promissory note (the “PSP Note”) to the U.S. Treasury Department evidencing senior unsecured indebtedness of UAL in the initial principal amount of approximately $714.0 million. The principal amount of the PSP Note will increase in an amount equal to 30% of any disbursement made by the U.S. Treasury Department to United under the PSP Agreement after the initial issuance date. The aggregate principal amount of the PSP Note after all disbursements will be approximately $1.5 billion
In addition to the PSP Note, UAL also entered into a warrant agreement (the “Warrant Agreement”) with the U.S. Treasury Department on April 20, 2020,pursuant to which UAL will issue to the U.S. Treasury Department warrants to purchase up to approximately 4.6 million shares of common stock, pro ratain conjunction with increases to the principal amount outstanding under the PSP Note (the “Warrants”), with an initial issuance of warrants to purchase up to approximately 2.3 million shares of common stock. The Warrants will have a strike price of $31.50 per share (which was the closing price of UAL’s common stock on The Nasdaq Stock Market on April 9, 2020). The Warrants will expire five years after issuance, and are exercisable either through netshare settlement in cash or in shares of common stock, at UAL’s option
Much more detail (87 pages) in the linked document

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 24, 2020 at 2:28 pm
Old Apr 24, 2020, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
What IDIOT is running this company???
Slippery Scott. Brought to you by USAirways and America West.
Old May 8, 2020, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA GS
When United Pawned Old Jets, Bond Traders Sent a Stark Warning

United Air Scraps $2.25 Billion Bond Deal After Terms Disappoint
(Bloomberg) -- Late on Friday, after some 48 hours of frantic attempts to lure investors to their faltering bond sale, executives at United Airlines let it be known that the deal was dead.It was an odd moment, stuck smack in the middle of one of the busiest corporate bond booms ever, a period in which investors have shown themselves to be receptive to almost any debt offer backed by good collateral. But this last part was where United got in trouble. For collateral, it had scraped together 360 old jets, some of which analysts considered would be nearly worthless in a few years.

Before pulling the deal on Friday, United had sweetened terms in a bid to attract investors. It also added a clause that would trigger repayment of the bonds at a substantial premium to par, known as a make-whole, should the company file for bankruptcy. And while the pulled deal dims the company’s funding prospects, it still has a $2 billion one-year loan giving it some breathing room. It had about $9.6 billion of liquidity as of April 29.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 8, 2020 at 8:58 pm Reason: When posting copyright material, credit / link the source of the information and give a brief summary or clip of the content
Old May 8, 2020, 8:53 pm
Suspended

Shouldn't have wasted money on stock buybacks.
Old May 8, 2020, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Shouldn't have wasted money on stock buybacks.
United unsecured 2025 maturing debt is trading at 59 cents on the dollar or 18% yield. Their CDS is trading at 22point. Not many companies come back from those levels. Most likely outcome here is chapter 11 especially after today's failed bond offering.

By comparison, Delta 2025 unsecured bond trading at 99 cents on dollar or 7% yield.

​​​

Last edited by Coke Bear; May 8, 2020 at 9:19 pm
Old May 8, 2020, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most if not all of the U.S. majors are going to have to go through a(nother) Ch. 11 BK, unfortunately.
Old May 8, 2020, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bear96
Most if not all of the U.S. majors are going to have to go through a(nother) Ch. 11 BK, unfortunately.
The current market says amongst the majors only AA and UA are toast. DAL will survive.

​​​​​
Old May 8, 2020, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold
I’m not a banker so sorry if this is a silly question - but in a bankruptcy doesn’t the judge decide who gets paid what ? What I’m asking is that even with the “make whole” provision, couldn’t the bonds still be worthless if UAL goes into bankruptcy and the bk judge decides not to honor the bond provisions ?
Old May 8, 2020, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by n198ua
I’m not a banker so sorry if this is a silly question - but in a bankruptcy doesn’t the judge decide who gets paid what ? What I’m asking is that even with the “make whole” provision, couldn’t the bonds still be worthless if UAL goes into bankruptcy and the bk judge decides not to honor the bond provisions ?
Simplistically In a chapter 11 restructure, a valuation is arrived for the company's assets. Then the companys assets is given to the company's creditor according to the capital structure: taxes, wages, secured bond, unsecured bond, preferred stock, stock. In that order.

So if bond is trading at 40 cents on the dollar it means equity/stock is already likely worth zero

This is likely why Warren buffet sold all his airline stocks.
n198ua likes this.

Last edited by Coke Bear; May 8, 2020 at 10:00 pm
Old May 9, 2020, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Coke Bear
The current market says amongst the majors only AA and UA are toast. DAL will survive.

​​​​​
Flying the wings off of old MD-80s and not incurring large expensive new aircraft orders (not to the degree as UA and AA at least) paid off big time
Old May 9, 2020, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Coke Bear
​​​​​
They'll probably all "survive," meaning they will be in existence at the other end of all this. They will just need a trip through Ch. 11 to do so. (Though you are right, of those three DL is the least likely to need to do that, along with WN.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.