Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Viability / Financial Future due to the COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Please do not modify or remove
In recent days a number of threads have started touching on the impacts on UA as a business going forward due to the travel disruption of COVID-19 --- including multiple Viability / Bankruptcy / Bailout discussions. While inconceivable a few months ago, UA (and all commercial airlines) is facing challenges that are uncharted.

This consolidated thread has been created by merging a number of existing threads that trend to address essentially the same subjects.

Some thread guidelines
-- This thread / forum is for discussing UA and the UA traveler, so please focus on UA in these discussions. Other forums exist to discuss other carriers or the industry in general -- we do just UA here.
-- This thread is for discussion of how UA gets from here to its future state.
-- All the standard FT rules apply. We will have a civil, constructive, collegial discussion -- even in these turbulent times.
-- While much of this will play out in the political arena, this forum is not the place for political / OMNI discussions. Please use threads in appropriate forums for that, such as Covid-19 US tax cuts or fiscal stimulus
-- Similarly, discussions of the evils / greed of corporations or other broad societal issues are out of scope, those are for OMNI -- let's stick to discussing UA, its past and its future here
-- Please do not start new threads on these topics in the UA forum. One reason for this consolidated thread was to minimize the redundant posts in separate threads. There is plenty of room in the scope of this thread to cover all aspects of these topics. (Note things like M&A, restructuring, ... would all be in scope).
-- Please once you have laid out your position, do not repetitively re-state that opinion. It is usually a better discussion if many participate vs a few dominating the thread

On behalf of the UA Moderator Team
WineCountryUA

Print Wikipost

UA's Viability / Financial Future due to the COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly

March/April/May could see record forward bookings for United.
I'd suggest anyone thinking that to read/hear the Q4 earning release - 2023 isn't expected to reach 2019 levels.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
2025 will finally have levels back. You figure even if you do a million a day, times 2x thats 660 days. Then add in other issues, and not a million happening, we are already in 2024, so 2025 first normal year unless they say .... it, which they should at this point. 2025, we wont be able to fly anywhere as there will be no economy or airlines left

UA files Q4 2021
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
2025 will finally have levels back. You figure even if you do a million a day, times 2x thats 660 days. Then add in other issues, and not a million happening, we are already in 2024, so 2025 first normal year unless they say .... it, which they should at this point. 2025, we wont be able to fly anywhere as there will be no economy or airlines left

UA files Q4 2021
Outside of a miraculous event, I would say everyone will be filing by Q4 - I am just trying to time my purchase of puts across the industry. I think this is best for the business in general - dump the shareholders, renegotiate the contracts, get rid of excess leased capacity and maybe clean house at the management level and board, then start over with a clean slate based on the 'new normal'.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:53 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
UA guiding that expect to see an uptick in demand from June, so the pessimism here is quite something - and seems to be totally predicated on the Government pulling the rug. Which they wont.

2025 is... fanciful pessimism to say the least.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
UA guiding that expect to see an uptick in demand from June
The problem is, they don't need an uptick. An uptick would merely slow the bleeding a bit. UA's business model fundamentally can't work at yield levels anywhere near what they're seeing today. Previous generations of management have proven that they can't "shrink themselves to success," and there's no reason to think that this would be any different.

In that same guidance, UA said that it expected to reach 2019 margins in 2023. People talking about 2025 aren't that much more pessimistic than UA themselves.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 12:37 am

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Agreed. Another 1.5MM doses injected in the last 24 hrs, bringing the US to nearly 20MM doses administered.

I think the UA viability naysayers will capitulate once the 1st major country allows unrestricted entry to vaccinated travelers. Hawaii will likely be first distant location, but it doesn't count. Of UA's long-haul destinations, I could see Singapore, Israel, or Taiwan being the first. That'll open the int'l floodgates.

As for domestic travel, I'm confident we'll see very healthy 2021 numbers for late-summer, shoulder, and holiday travel. In fact, I just bet a colleague that 'Sunday after Thanksgiving' domestic travelers will be within 20% of 2019 levels. Let me know if you think I'll win!
ChurnieEls likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In fact, I just bet a colleague that 'Sunday after Thanksgiving' domestic travelers will be within 20% of 2019 levels. Let me know if you think I'll win!
That wouldn't surprise me, but it wouldn't indicate that United was healthy. UA can't build its business on leisure travel alone -- and the week of Thanksgiving, while very busy domestically, also routinely attracts deep discounts on business class tickets because there's so little demand. (Even this year, that was a relatively busy travel weekend).

I don't buy into the concept of the "new normal," but when UA's own estimates are saying it will take them until 2023 to reach 2019 margins, I'm going to give them at least a little bit of credit.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
UA guiding that expect to see an uptick in demand from June, so the pessimism here is quite something - and seems to be totally predicated on the Government pulling the rug. Which they wont.
Yes, in March/April 2020 they were expecting to see an uptick in demand from June 2020. Yet here we are.

(This is not to say in won't happen in 2021, only that UA - and everyone else - really has no idea what will be happening by June.)
Old Jan 23, 2021, 11:32 am

Not all upticks are created equal. Maw and Paw and the two rugrats going to Disney once a year are not going to make a hill of beans difference to airlines returning to profitability, it helps to stem the red ink only. The return of business travel is key and I believe is a long way off, things have changed for the airlines and that is why we are hearing predictions of 2022 and beyond for profitability to be even a glimmer in the airlines eyes. Based on that I believe some further consolidation is highly likely.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 1:56 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Likely we'll hit a critical mass (>70%) of vaccinations sometime in Q3, at which point you'll begin to see the floodgates open in terms of demand, there's a vast amount of people the pandemic hasn't affected who have otherwise been accumulating income and I think they'll want to spend some of that via rewarding themselves with a vacation.

UA/DL/AA have all done some measure of cost cutting via the severance packages, they've also cut back on some frills that I expect to see persist into new normal (you're not going to be catered a full meal in Domestic F anymore imo). They'll all be fine, y'all seem to be forgetting the banks have fairly substantial skin in the game through the various loyalty program securitizations they've all done.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
I talked to my UA salesperson this past week; she told me most of their corporate clients are holding off on air travel through at least June if not later.

I think a lot of businesses are using June as a placeholder because thats when the vaccines reach a large part of the population. Trump's vaccine plan was to get out 1,000,000+ vaccines a day which we've hit and Biden said yesterday he sees no reason to change Trump's plan or go higher. (Probably because of manufacturing limits?)

But two concerns I have with air travel are 1)further travel restrictions and 2) lack of efficacy with the vaccines. With the Biden administration yesterday saying Trump's handling of things now is fine, that tamps down on rumors of additional restrictions to domestic flying that were being mumbled in recent weeks (i.e. requiring negative COVID test before domestic flights too.) But there's growing concerns about vaccine efficacy with that second study published on Thursday that shows the vaccines don't work on the latest mutations out of Africa/Europe. If the manufacturers need to go through another 8 months of clinical trials for a vaccine update, that just pushes recovery of everything into 2022. These 2 are big beadwind risks facing the industry, and I don't know if UAs new severence packages does enough to keep them nimble through these unknowns.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
True, but Hawaii is moving towards dropping testing/quarantine requirements for vaccinated people.

I feel dozens of countries will do exactly this.

March/April/May could see record forward bookings for United.

We may even want to change the title of this thread to 'United's Financial Health Exiting Covid'
corporate travel, especially lucrative overseas business travel will be near zero in 1H21 and anemic at best in 2H21.

Remember that vaccines for kids are not available and won't be for a while and then that needs to roll out. So family vacation to Hawaii or overseas ... 2022 at the earliest.

I love the optimism ... but let's get down to reality
Old Jan 23, 2021, 4:46 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

As for domestic travel, I'm confident we'll see very healthy 2021 numbers for late-summer, shoulder, and holiday travel. In fact, I just bet a colleague that 'Sunday after Thanksgiving' domestic travelers will be within 20% of 2019 levels. Let me know if you think I'll win!
I think you're absolutely right - if you are talking about the Sunday After Thanksgiving 2023.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Outside of a miraculous event, I would say everyone will be filing by Q4 - I am just trying to time my purchase of puts across the industry. I think this is best for the business in general - dump the shareholders, renegotiate the contracts, get rid of excess leased capacity and maybe clean house at the management level and board, then start over with a clean slate based on the 'new normal'.
That’s certainly possible, but not expected by the market. Equity, debt, and credit default trades all tell a different story. The market can be - and often is - wrong. However, unless there’s a dramatic change in the trajectory of vaccinations and recovery, most airlines will survive.

Filing CH11 doesn’t do a whole lot for UAL: debt is very low cost, labor agreements are efficient and not many old airplanes are leased. There’s always a bit that could be cleaned up, but the cost of bankruptcy is excessive.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by fly18725
...However, unless there’s a dramatic change in the trajectory of vaccinations and recovery, most airlines will survive.
That's already in progress - there is mounting evidence the South African variant is able to get by the Pfizer vaccine, no word on Modern or the others, so the writing is on the wall that mutations will likely require frequent vaccine updates and booster shots, and the rollout of the vaccine at least in North America is a complete cluster-mess (except maybe for West Virginia), plus there is no progress on a global consensus around vaccination proof and how it will affect travel - in fact, Canada is about to shut down the remaining loophole which will ban air travel into Canada by visitors except in limited circumstances (formerly only the land border was closed).

So the trajectory is not looking good for United, or any global airline, in 2021. I would say only B6 being mostly domestic/Caribbean, AS and WN are in a better position to weather the storm since they don't rely on international traffic.

I am in still in favor of a forced CH11 to eliminate shareholder equity before any further government hand-outs to ensure the US Treasury has complete control and retains all the proceeds from any future re-issuance of stock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.