Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA's Viability / Financial Future due to the COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]

Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Please do not modify or remove
In recent days a number of threads have started touching on the impacts on UA as a business going forward due to the travel disruption of COVID-19 --- including multiple Viability / Bankruptcy / Bailout discussions. While inconceivable a few months ago, UA (and all commercial airlines) is facing challenges that are uncharted.

This consolidated thread has been created by merging a number of existing threads that trend to address essentially the same subjects.

Some thread guidelines
-- This thread / forum is for discussing UA and the UA traveler, so please focus on UA in these discussions. Other forums exist to discuss other carriers or the industry in general -- we do just UA here.
-- This thread is for discussion of how UA gets from here to its future state.
-- All the standard FT rules apply. We will have a civil, constructive, collegial discussion -- even in these turbulent times.
-- While much of this will play out in the political arena, this forum is not the place for political / OMNI discussions. Please use threads in appropriate forums for that, such as Covid-19 US tax cuts or fiscal stimulus
-- Similarly, discussions of the evils / greed of corporations or other broad societal issues are out of scope, those are for OMNI -- let's stick to discussing UA, its past and its future here
-- Please do not start new threads on these topics in the UA forum. One reason for this consolidated thread was to minimize the redundant posts in separate threads. There is plenty of room in the scope of this thread to cover all aspects of these topics. (Note things like M&A, restructuring, ... would all be in scope).
-- Please once you have laid out your position, do not repetitively re-state that opinion. It is usually a better discussion if many participate vs a few dominating the thread

On behalf of the UA Moderator Team
WineCountryUA

Print Wikipost

UA's Viability / Financial Future due to the COVID-19 Era [Consolidated]

Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly

That's fine, then don't fly. Simply pay your debt, ride out the storm, and live to fight post-Vaccine. It's that simple.

Boeing is in good shape right now. Plenty of cash and lots of govt planes to build. They will not do anything that hurts customers because Chap 11 allows companies to cancel all Boeing contracts...

Two of the largest investment banks on Wall Street disagree with you. The offering will likely be over-subscribed.
Two of the largest investment banks on Wall Street only want the fees from the offering - they could care less on whose face the egg lands, provided it's not theirs and they collect their fees.

The MAX issue is only getting worse, and Coronavirus probably just put a stake in the MAX's heart - Boeing will never be able to climb out from under the financial catastrophe they will need to absorb from endless canceled orders and delivery refusals while those planes sit and rust.

Don't put your eggs in the vaccine - there is a flu vaccine, yet millions get the flu every year, even with the shot, and many pass away. As the Coronavirus waxes and wanes, comes and goes, vaccine or not, it will set off waves of panic for years to come that will quickly contract and expand consumer and business spending in its wake. Instability is the new normal, and a vaccine won't change anything.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:19 pm
Suspended

"Buy High, Sell Low "

"...or how United is the epitome of bad management."

United Airlines Holdings, Inc. (UAL) today announced an underwritten public offering of 39,250,000 shares of its common stock, subject to market conditions and other factors.

https://seekingalpha.com/pr/17844186...f-common-stock

First they BUY back shares for about $88 each and now they plan to SELL shares for about $26.
What IDIOT is running this company???
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:20 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
What IDIOT is running this company?
One without a crystal ball? One who's trying to avoid bankruptcy? One who is forced to adapt to a situation beyond anything anyone alive has experienced?
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
How well this is subscribed to (and at what price) will be an indication of the large investment institutions on UA's future.
Got a quick answer to pricing
UAL Announces Pricing of Public Offering of Common Stock
CHICAGO, April 21, 2020

-- United Airlines Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ:UAL) today announced the pricing of an underwritten public offering of 39,250,000 shares of its common stock, at a public offering price of $26.50 per share. Morgan Stanley and Barclays are acting as the underwriters of the offering. The Company has also granted to the underwriters a 30-day option to purchase up to 3,925,000 additional shares. The proceeds from the offering will be used for general corporate purposes. Subject to the satisfaction of customary conditions, the offering is expected to close on April 24, 2020.
Today's closing price was $27.88, a week ago $32, pre-COVID $88-92
Roughly $1B is fully subscribed

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 21, 2020 at 9:33 pm Reason: Roughly $1B is fully subscribed
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The union and UA are completely aligned.
UA has a history of labor troubles going back at least 40 years. I doubt that they've ever been "completely aligned" on anything.

The union would rather UA survive until a vaccine vs. file Chap 11. Remember, Chap 11 means the Collective Bargaining Agreement is out the window, seniority gone, etc...
That... isn't what happens in Chapter 11, although, yes, it does give UA an opening to renegotiate the contracts. They're not immediately cancelled, seniority isn't immediately gone. In Chapter 7, sure, because the company shuts down.

On Oct 1, UA will have about $4B of cash (net of debt).
If this is true, then the current stock offering is the worst financial decision UA has made since at least 2001. That's really saying something.

At the risk of repeating myself, you'd have to be an idiot to issue new stock now unless you needed the money badly. If you project a $3BB free cash reserve in 6 months, you do not sell your stock when it's 70% off of the 52-week high in order to pick up $1BB more. Instead, you wait until October and sell when the stock is 3x what it is now -- because if they can navigate the waters as cleanly as you're projecting, their stock is a massive buy right now, not a sell. In fact, if your numbers were right, the board would be risking a shareholder lawsuit for breach of fiduciary duty by issuing new stock at this time.

The cost to pay the employees is $1.5B/mt. So UA could pay employees till Dec 1. Do you think the pilots and flight attendants want two months of pay, or a vaccine, followed by getting back to normal...?
You don't work in a unionized profession, do you?

That's fine, then don't fly. Simply pay your debt, ride out the storm, and live to fight post-Vaccine. It's that simple.
It isn't that simple, because you're just assuming that they have no fixed costs beyond the ones that are being subsidized by the government, and then you're also assuming that if you go out of business for a year, when you come back, people will be like, "Oh, hi, United; I missed you! Please, take my money."

Boeing is in good shape right now. Plenty of cash and lots of govt planes to build. They will not do anything that hurts customers because Chap 11 allows companies to cancel all Boeing contracts...
Here you are correct about Chapter 11, but I suspect you're being as unreasonably rosy about Boeing as you are about United. The military side of the operation has not been without its problems over the last few years, and Boeing Commercial Aircraft is a major part of the business that, in the space of two years, has gone from an order book that was the envy of everyone (except the A321 aficionados on this board) to a place where they have a massive inventory glut, the likelihood that their customers are going out of business, a giant used aircraft market about to come online, and zero demand for their products. I promise you that there is a management team somewhere at Boeing whose sole responsibility right now is figuring out how to work with their customers to get the MAX delivered and paid for.

Two of the largest investment banks on Wall Street disagree with you. The offering will likely be over-subscribed.
Sure, on the very good theory that they can probably make some intraday profit buying below market and selling at market. It's not a bad idea for the bank; it's just a bad idea for the business. I promise you -- UA is dealing from a position of extreme weakness. "Buy high, sell low" is a strategy that gets the board removed and the CEO replaced. They're doing this because they have no choice.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Remember, Chap 11 means the Collective Bargaining Agreement is out the window, seniority gone, etc...
Remember what exactly??? How UA exited the last Ch. 11 with no CBAs and everyone started over with no seniority?

This isn't how any of this works . . . (And I lived through it as a union UA employee.)
jsloan likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Two of the largest investment banks on Wall Street only want the fees from the offering - they could care less on whose face the egg lands, provided it's not theirs and they collect their fees.

The MAX issue is only getting worse, and Coronavirus probably just put a stake in the MAX's heart - Boeing will never be able to climb out from under the financial catastrophe they will need to absorb from endless canceled orders and delivery refusals while those planes sit and rust.

Don't put your eggs in the vaccine - there is a flu vaccine, yet millions get the flu every year, even with the shot, and many pass away. As the Coronavirus waxes and wanes, comes and goes, vaccine or not, it will set off waves of panic for years to come that will quickly contract and expand consumer and business spending in its wake. Instability is the new normal, and a vaccine won't change anything.
The equity offering was underwritten, meaning the banks committed to United that the shares would be sold at certain levels. Thus commitment was based on known demand, but still requires the banks to purchase the shares as a last resort. This is a meaningful positive indication of how the banks see United’s viability.

While the lower demand will almost certainly slow Boeing’s MAX deliveries, it doesn’t inhibit the return to service. The FAA is still working on it and I think if anything, there’s more political pressure. Boeing has zero MAX production right now, which puts them in a better place than Airbus.

And on the final pessimistic note, we can all sit at home scared and let our lives and economy crumble or we can act prudently to manage the impact of COVID and work towards more normal lives. As the current outbreak moderates and stay at home orders are lifted, there will be some recovery of demand. Many people will want to travel. There could be waves of outbreaks and pullbacks in demand, but a vaccine will moderate both. We don’t see lower travel in the winter when seasonal flu spikes, nor have regional outbreaks of other communicable diseases hurt travel. The most pessimistic outlooks have demand in 2023 returning to 2019 levels. I’m hoping for better, but I think United will survive until then. The management team has moved aggressively to position the company for the future. It will look different and many employees will loose their jobs.

If a people see no future for business or discretionary travel, what is the purpose of FlyerTalk?
tuolumne likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 7:06 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's obvious that UA is making desperation moves. There is absolutely no way that anyone in UA leadership has the same rosy outlook that you do, and I can prove it. Nobody in their right mind would try to sell $1BB of UAL stock now -- 70% off of their 52-week high -- unless they really, really, really needed the money.
You don't need that to prove it. You just need the refund thread to point out that United is hoarding everything they can at a significant PR cost and potential DOT action.
jsloan and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ryman554
You don't need that to prove it. You just need the refund thread to point out that United is hoarding everything they can at a significant PR cost and potential DOT action.
To be fair, you could argue many things UA do come at significant PR cost. They seem inured.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That feels high, given their total expenses in 2019 were $39B. Just over $3B / month.
Although spartacusmcfly was correct to point out that I had mistakenly conflated profit and cash flow, when DL announced results this morning, they mentioned that their daily cash burn at the end of March was $100MM/day, and that their goal is to trim it to $50MM/day by the end of the June quarter. That means they're projecting a negative cash flow between $4.5BB and $9.0BB by the end of June, depending upon when (or if) they reach their goal. As a result, DL also announced that they're planning a massive influx of capital -- basically, they're going to be taking the same measures that UA already has.

Although UA is a smaller airline than DL, its cost structures are similar, so it wouldn't surprise me if UA's cash burn were in similar territory. I suspect we'll know when UA makes its official earnings release.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:19 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan

Although UA is a smaller airline than DL, its cost structures are similar, so it wouldn't surprise me if UA's cash burn were in similar territory. I suspect we'll know when UA makes its official earnings release.
Saw a report on SeekingAlpha that BoA pegs UA's future burn rate at $55M
($1.65B/month)
Unknown the conditions to achieve that burn rate

Found the BofA report but not public (available to Merrill Lynch customers)
Thinks UA's current burn rate is $65M/day ($2B/month) but UA should be able to reduce that to $55M/day
Taking in account all announced steps -- operational reductions, starting liquidity, new loans / credit lines, CARES loans/grant, stock offering, .... UA might have access to $16-17B

Not mentioned by BoA some of the loans require UA to maintain $2B liquidity and there are some (anther $2B) short debt due later this year -- probably will try to refinance that.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 22, 2020 at 10:47 am Reason: Update
Old Apr 22, 2020, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am seeing some of UA's longer term debt trading at a 15% - 25% discount. Their debt maturing 12/2020 is trading about 2% discount. A quick look at DL's debt showed about the same.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fly18725
The equity offering was underwritten, meaning the banks committed to United that the shares would be sold at certain levels. Thus commitment was based on known demand, but still requires the banks to purchase the shares as a last resort. This is a meaningful positive indication of how the banks see United’s viability.
I don't see it that way, and I was in the industry years ago - what they see is a wing and prayer that enough people/entities will buy the shares either outright at the offering, or from their inventory over time - they are taking a gamble the industry will improve and they can unload their own share inventory at higher prices, meanwhile they have enough margin between the offering price and the money need to be paid to United to hold the stock until either it's sold, or their sales staff and trading staff have sufficient success pumping and dumping the remaining inventory. It's really an options bet taken by the bank...."buy" at a discount and hope to sell higher, or use the usual Wall Street scam techniques to inflate the stock price and unload it on customers.

While the lower demand will almost certainly slow Boeing’s MAX deliveries, it doesn’t inhibit the return to service. The FAA is still working on it and I think if anything, there’s more political pressure. Boeing has zero MAX production right now, which puts them in a better place than Airbus.
I don't see any political pressure pushing the return of the MAX - in fact, I see the opposite as every government worldwide has bigger fish to fry, not to mention keeping their airlines actually in business. Taking deliveries of new aircraft after a massive loss of revenue and reserves would be the absolute last thing anyone is interested in. I forecast wave after wave of cancelations followed by the unfortunate rusting out of already constructed MAX airframes with no place to go because storage is now being taken by active livery that needs to wait out the crisis.

And on the final pessimistic note, we can all sit at home scared and let our lives and economy crumble or we can act prudently to manage the impact of COVID and work towards more normal lives. As the current outbreak moderates and stay at home orders are lifted, there will be some recovery of demand. Many people will want to travel. There could be waves of outbreaks and pullbacks in demand, but a vaccine will moderate both. We don’t see lower travel in the winter when seasonal flu spikes, nor have regional outbreaks of other communicable diseases hurt travel. The most pessimistic outlooks have demand in 2023 returning to 2019 levels. I’m hoping for better, but I think United will survive until then. The management team has moved aggressively to position the company for the future. It will look different and many employees will loose their jobs.

If a people see no future for business or discretionary travel, what is the purpose of FlyerTalk?
If would suggest preparing for a more permanent change in live in general. We are still not out from under the initial stage of the outbreak, and new re-infection waves are already hitting places that started to recover. Anyone forecasting a return to normalcy at this point is taking a wild guess - and there is no guarantee a vaccine will be available anytime soon, or do much more than blunt the effect of the virus on a portion of the population, no different from the flu vaccine.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Thinks UA's current burn rate is $65M/day ($2B/month) but UA should be able to reduce that to $55M/day...
Not the right way to look at it. The burn today includes paying all the employees -- which is funded by the govt., so it's not really burn right now.

The burn number that matters is the burn as of Oct 1 after the entire labor force is furloughed. The Oct. burn number will go down by ~50%-75% from the numbers above.
Old Apr 22, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not the right way to look at it. The burn today includes paying all the employees -- which is funded by the govt., so it's not really burn right now.
It is burn right now, because your liquidity figures already include the government monies. You're double-counting them.

The burn number that matters is the burn as of Oct 1 after the entire labor force is furloughed. The Oct. burn number will go down by ~50%-75% from the numbers above.
The entire labor force is not going to be furloughed. That's called liquidation.

You can't just close up shop and hope for better days ahead. Not only would you have to refund ticket purchases during the interim period, you'd ensure that whenever you started back up, you'd start with empty planes. Who'd give UA money if they got the idea that UA wasn't planning to fly them anywhere?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.