Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Impact of Shelter-in-Place restrictions on UA & UA traveler - CA/NY/IL/HI/TX/CO/....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impact of Shelter-in-Place restrictions on UA & UA traveler - CA/NY/IL/HI/TX/CO/....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Remember, you're not required to social distance (6' space) from somone you live with! So when you see people not social distancing, then they're probably family members, lovers, roommates etc.

Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
It's California... anything short of the US govt declaring martial law
nationwide will have little effect

or have the recovered patients agree to their photos released on
national TV... the permanently disfigured faces or the permanently
damaged lung X-rays should scare the bejesus out of a lot of those
Californians who are really into their appearance. (sad but true)
Not sure where you are in California, but I'm in the Bay Area and we are taking it quite seriously. No businesses excepts restaurants, pharmacies, markets and health facilities are open, streets are empty, people taking walks space 6 feet apart when you pass. People in this area are doing what is asked. Our county was shut down by the health directors a few days before the governor acted. Sure there are people not doing the 6 feet distance - usually families or couples that live together. And it took a few days before some folks even realized there were restrictions, but the message is out now loud and clear and I have not seen any "violations" like shops being open on my walks through town for exercise.

I certainly hope that after you got your discrete haircut, you weren't in the company of any elderly friends or family members of any age and are self-isolating. Or you could well be a spreader without symptoms.
cesco.g and 84fiero like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 23, 2020 at 11:01 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:10 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 94010flyer
Not sure where you are in California, but I'm in the Bay Area and we are taking it quite seriously. .....
Would agree most are (we are) but the Bay Area is not without sin
'Go home!' Bolinas residents plead with visitors to turn around as crowds flock to beach towns during shelter order
People pack Marin County beaches and parks, officials to close most of Point Reyes National Seashore
Same for Marina Green and Crissy Field.Social distancing during coronavirus pandemic? Not in Bay Area parks

Similar issues for Southern California Diego beach parking lots closed to discourage crowds
SPN Lifer and artvandalay like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 23, 2020 at 11:16 am
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Add Michigan to the list, our Governor just executed a stay at home order:

https://www.michigan.gov/whitmer/0,9...2626--,00.html
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
What's interesting is on a flight Friday Las Vegas to Los Angeles, I noticed off the right side of the plane that construction workers were still out in force at the new football stadiums in both Las Vegas and Inglewood. I guess they are considered essential works

I do think some construction work is OK since distancing can be maintained to a great extent in many tasks.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
What's interesting is on a flight Friday Las Vegas to Los Angeles, I noticed off the right side of the plane that construction workers were still out in force at the new football stadiums in both Las Vegas and Inglewood. I guess they are considered essential works

I do think some construction work is OK since distancing can be maintained to a great extent in many tasks.
Construction work is permitted to continue in Los Angeles County.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Yeah, I heard about that. I just read that Marin county ordered all parks in the county closed because of that. I think it unfortunately takes a little time for everyone to get news and understand the parameters of the statewide order.

My point to the poster still stands, though. Its not "business as usual" in California, and I think that paints a totally erroneous picture of what its like here.
Im in San Mateo County right near SFO, and there is nothing usual about the lack of traffic on the roads, the sidewalks and the number of businesses that are shuttered.

We were ordered to shelter in place a little while before the rest of the state, so I think we may well be ahead of the curve in terms of compliance (thankfully since Santa Clara was #2 (300+) and San Mateo was #3 (140+) in number of confirmed cases) after LA (400+)).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by 94010flyer
Yeah, I heard about that. I just read that Marin county ordered all parks in the county closed because of that. I think it unfortunately takes a little time for everyone to get news and understand the parameters of the statewide order.

My point to the poster still stands, though. Its not "business as usual" in California, and I think that paints a totally erroneous picture of what its like here.
Im in San Mateo County right near SFO, and there is nothing usual about the lack of traffic on the roads, the sidewalks and the number of businesses that are shuttered.

We were ordered to shelter in place a little while before the rest of the state, so I think we may well be ahead of the curve in terms of compliance (thankfully since Santa Clara was #2 (300+) and San Mateo was #3 (140+) in number of confirmed cases) after LA (400+)).
As far as I can tell, we're not seeing the exploding of cases in the bay area as we see in places like Italy and/or New York, who waited about a week too long to do what they did, and they are now paying the price.

Even LA, who was only 3-4 days behind the bay area, has become the hot spot of California.

I am dismayed in that we'll have to keep this up until the rest of the country gets on board. And then another 28 days (2 x 14) to get rid of the existing conditions + shelter-in-place partner transmissions PLUS a widespread testing which will allow us to pinpoint where the hotspots are to more heavily quarantine those areas. So, it's 1-2 months before normalcy. Sigh.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA HA AS
My SFO-OGG flight had 22 passengers today. The return flights also take visitors home. Landing at Maui today, I could see thousands of rental cars parked in the fields near the airport. The old rental car lots and the new consolidated rental car center are also fully packed with cars.
You should see what Aloha Stadium's parking lot looks like now full of rental cars.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Hawaiian announced all long haul flying to Hawaii is being suspended except a daily LAX flight and a weekly American Samoa flight - beginning Thursday
A state-wide stay-at-home order kicks in Hawaii at midnight Wednesday AM. Governor explicitly asked tourists to leave the state ASAP during today's press conference unveiling the new order.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ryman554
So, it's 1-2 months before normalcy.
You are a real optimist. Latest numbers I've seen say that the U.S. won't peak until June.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Florida will require those flying in from New York and New Jersey get temperatures checked on arrival and will have a to self quarantine for 14 days. Big Loophole not checking those who drive in or take a train or bus.
FlyingNone likes this.

Last edited by buckeyefanflyer; Mar 24, 2020 at 2:19 pm
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: Continental
Just arrivals from northeast I believe.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
How can Singapore and Taiwan manage this properly without destroying everyone’s livelihood?
Maybe because people in Taiwan and Singapore adhere to government directives and thus are able to prevent widespread transmission of the virus. Whereas, enough Americans, especially sufficient New Yorkers, believe they can do whatever they want, regardless of impact to others?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CIT85
Maybe because people in Taiwan and Singapore adhere to government directives and thus are able to prevent widespread transmission of the virus. Whereas, enough Americans, especially sufficient New Yorkers, believe they can do whatever they want, regardless of impact to others?
Maybe that, along with Florida’s status as Death’s Waiting Room w/ a higher-than-average percentage of vulnerable people
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Maybe that, along with Florida’s status as Death’s Waiting Room w/ a higher-than-average percentage of vulnerable people
Which is why New Yorkers should not be traveling to Florida now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.