Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Impact of Shelter-in-Place restrictions on UA & UA traveler - CA/NY/IL/HI/TX/CO/....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impact of Shelter-in-Place restrictions on UA & UA traveler - CA/NY/IL/HI/TX/CO/....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:03 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Mayor of Honolulu, Kirk Caldwell, has issued a stay at home, work at home order for residents effective Monday (March 23) at 4:30 pm
until April 30th.

http://tinyurl.com/ucqayvg
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:24 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Any visitor shouldn't go - good chance they can get stranded with hotels starting to close - beaches are closed
People are still all over the beaches. Lanikai was absolutely packed yesterday, even more than usual. And I just walked down to Longs an hour ago and Waikiki beach was quite busy, considering it was misting lightly and it was 4:00pm. I just took this photo about 40 minutes ago.

Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:29 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Mayor of Honolulu, Kirk Caldwell, has issued a stay at home, work at home order for residents effective Monday (March 23) at 4:30 pm
until April 30th.

http://tinyurl.com/ucqayvg
With the usual exceptions, one of which is:
- To engage in outdoor activity in locations as permitted by law

The beaches can not be closed up to the high water line and people are permitted to cross closed parks to get to the water. People will still be out. I’ll bet on it.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

46% of UA flights cancelled today and already 42% tomorrow -- https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/today. Similar numbers for other US carriers. They have clearly given up on running anything resembling current schedule and are now playing it day-by-day. Strategy seems to follow what Southwest announced a couple days ago -- https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...ellations.html
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:36 pm

Amazing UA is flying basically empty 777's from DEN and IAH to HNL tomorrow. Perhaps that is out of kindness to get Hawaiians home?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
People are still all over the beaches. Lanikai was absolutely packed yesterday, even more than usual. And I just walked down to Longs an hour ago and Waikiki beach was quite busy, considering it was misting lightly and it was 4:00pm. I just took this photo about 40 minutes ago.

Wished we were there. Paradise is the best place to wait out the devil.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TEBraniff
Amazing UA is flying basically empty 777's from DEN and IAH to HNL tomorrow. Perhaps that is out of kindness to get Hawaiians home?
My SFO-OGG flight had 22 passengers today. The return flights also take visitors home. Landing at Maui today, I could see thousands of rental cars parked in the fields near the airport. The old rental car lots and the new consolidated rental car center are also fully packed with cars.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
My SFO-OGG flight had 22 passengers today. The return flights also take visitors home. Landing at Maui today, I could see thousands of rental cars parked in the fields near the airport. The old rental car lots and the new consolidated rental car center are also fully packed with cars.
Its a little crazy with how slow it is now in west Maui. Granted my community of homes is mostly retired people, but I’m likely one of few still working each weekday (I’m considered essential).
Old Mar 22, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Under Kirby? Kindness? What are you smoking, there must be money in it somewhere.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Cargo perhaps.

Super sad for Hawaii. Will be sure to get back and spend (and relax and enjoy) as soon as this insanity is behind us. Thankfully I didn’t follow my urge to book a quick spring break for this week with those cheap prices. That would have been a mess.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by bocastephen
You should switch your license, you're missing out on some amazing kamai'aina deals. I have a HI license and live in California and Florida.

I suspect the Gov of HI is looking at this the same way Hawaii looks at rabies and snakes - keep it off our islands at all costs. A little easier to do when you're out in the middle of the Pacific with no one around for thousands of miles.
Sure hope you don’t get called up for jury duty in HI.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:11 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

Can't stop stupid people 100% of the time.

I can say on the windward side they are slowly buy surely stepping up enforcement - the police on ATV's are more prevalent, police blacking the parking lots and yellow tape blocking entrances - Lanakai a challenge due to the small strip of sand
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PC
Does United still have the mail contracts to HI? Or did FedEx take that over when they partnered with USPS on the Express side?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe I am missing something but this looks OK to me. People (with a couple of exceptions, but they seem like couples and so would probably often be closer than 6' from each other even hunkered down at home) seem to be staying more than 6' away from each other. The beach is hardly packed.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Hawaiian announced all long haul flying to Hawaii is being suspended except a daily LAX flight and a weekly American Samoa flight - beginning Thursday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.