Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Impact of Shelter-in-Place restrictions on UA & UA traveler - CA/NY/IL/HI/TX/CO/....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impact of Shelter-in-Place restrictions on UA & UA traveler - CA/NY/IL/HI/TX/CO/....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:28 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
As I understand, no. But no one is really checking.
The order stops all “non-essential” travel. Leaving your home to go to travel to the airport in order to go on vacation to another state would not be considered “essential”. That’s limited to picking up food or medicine or going to work at an essential job (medical, food supply, public safety etc.).

Of course nothing is really stopping you from doing so - other than your sense of public duty and ethics.

But today’s no-lockdown zone could quickly turn into one and get you stuck somewhere involuntarily or become a worse COVID hotspot so disobey health orders at your peril.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:34 am

Programs: UA
Actually they're mostly shutting down office work and boredom shopping - restaurants (takeaway/delivery), farmers markets, bakeries, ice cream shops, hardware stores, plant nurseries, banks, laundromats, shipping (UPS, FedEx, USPS) and even cannabis shops are still open. I do agree it's some weird twilight hour of everything being very serious but nothing vital/essential being out of hand (minus TP).

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Just my opinion we are at a point this is worse then 9-11. No one should be flying except to get home. They are shutting down everything except supermarkets and drug stores.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Just my opinion we are at a point this is worse then 9-11.
We passed that point quite some time ago. The real focus now is on 1) how long does it take us to get out of this, 2) how much damage to the economy will it do while we get out of it, and 3) how it will change society once it's over.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yeah, but I eventually gotta get back to Maui, too...and no, Greyhound doesn't help w/ that either
I'd be more surprised if there were flights to Hawaii than not by the end of the weekend. The Lt Governor is adamamt about shutting down air travel ASAP.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
I'd be more surprised if there were flights to Hawaii than not by the end of the weekend. The Lt Governor is adamamt about shutting down air travel ASAP.
Can always route via DEN or ORD flights, take a ride through PDX, or see if AA is still running DFW/DL is still running SLC.
(Yes I intentionally excluded Sea-Tac, if Cali shuts down, Washington will likely do the same)
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Closing a state’s border I don’t believe is solely a Governor’s perogative. As it affects interstate commerce, I’m pretty sure he’d have to get Federal approval.

In any case, Id think he’d have to allow a few days notice for residents to get back. I’m not traveling to Houston today for work or pleasure. A good friend of mine has a couple of days remaining with pancreatic cancer. I’m going to say goodbye.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Closing a state’s border I don’t believe is solely a Governor’s perogative. As it affects interstate commerce, I’m pretty sure he’d have to get Federal approval.

In any case, Id think he’d have to allow a few days notice for residents to get back. I’m not traveling to Houston today for work or pleasure. A good friend of mine has a couple of days remaining with pancreatic cancer. I’m going to say goodbye.
You will get back - the discussions are not to close the boarder but rather every person arriving must quarantine for 14 days
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just my opinion we are at a point this is worse then 9-11. No one should be flying except to get home. They are shutting down everything except supermarkets and drug stores.
No they are not, many businesses are still open, and people can go outside as often as they want provided they don't gather in large groups. This is California, people are going to ignore the rules national guard or not. Just now my hair salon called me to come down for a cut, they will let me inside, just need to knock on the door. Life goes on as usual, just need to adapt to small changes to remain safe.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bocastephen
No they are not, many businesses are still open, and people can go outside as often as they want provided they don't gather in large groups. This is California, people are going to ignore the rules national guard or not. Just now my hair salon called me to come down for a cut, they will let me inside, just need to knock on the door. Life goes on as usual, just need to adapt to small changes to remain safe.
LOL
Old Mar 20, 2020, 11:27 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A useful thread on the impact of "shelter-in-place" on non-essential travel in the Coronavirus Forum

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/coro...we-travel.html

The short answer is non-essential travel is likely restricted (for SFO) although best to check your local guidelines.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This is exactly why medical professional are so concerned.
Xyzzy, st3 and LoungeLizardHugo like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 1:04 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
I see transportation inter state pretty critical and shouldn't be completely shut down, but again others may have other opinions that when 50% of the people could get it with .8% to 20% death rate, how can moving around be a critical need. Hard to see UA/DL/AA/SW and others can afford to run even 30% capacity and make enough money to cover their operation cost.

The economic costs are escalating and at some point the discussion about human cost versus the cost of not allowing humans to go about their natural business beyond of living and making a living. Not a recommendation that we should suspend "shelter at home" more wished we had executed a China like lockdown much earlier and then lifted earlier, as we are running more like a Italy situation then a So Korea, sadly we didn't listen to our own Crimson Contagion simulations and act when we could have more containment versus mitigation.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
So airlines are open... but are Californians allowed to travel to States that don't have shelter-in-place lockdowns for leisure travel?
Why on earth would anyone risk leisure travel right now. Unless it's critical to get from A to B stay at home. It's selfish and irresponsible to travel for non essential reasons now.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:03 pm

Impact of "Shelter-in-Place" restrictions on UA & UA traveler - Calif/NY/Illinois/...

how does Illinois stay-at-home order specifically affect United Airlines?
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Source
In Illinois, residents are still allowed to leave their homes for essential needs like:
  • For health and safety: seeking emergency services, obtaining medical supplies or medication or visiting a health care professional
  • For necessary supplies and services: obtaining groceries and food, household consumer products, supplies they need to work from home, and products necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation and essential operation of residences
  • For outdoor activity: walking, hiking, running or biking – including going to public parks and open outdoor recreation areas, except for playgrounds
  • For certain types of work: Providing essential products and services at Essential Businesses or Operations or otherwise carrying out activities specifically permitted in the order, including Minimum Basic Operations
  • To take care of others: Caring for or transporting a family member, friend or pet in another household
What about travel?
In Illinois, only essential travel is permitted and must be done in accordance with social distancing requirements. That includes travel related to:
  • Performing Essential Activities, Essential Governmental Functions, Essential Businesses and Operations or Minimum Basic Operations
  • Caring for elderly, minors, dependents, persons with disabilities or other vulnerable persons
  • Receiving materials for distance learning, for receiving meals, and any other related services from an educational institution
  • Returning to a place of residence from outside the jurisdiction
  • Following the direction of law enforcement or court order, including to transport children pursuant to a custody agreement
  • Returning to a place of residence outside the State for non-residents
looks similiar to California's, so discretionary travel would appear to be a violation. (misdemeanor in Calif if it was actually enforced)
Airlines are allow to operate to support "essential travel"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.