Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Does United check you in for connecting flights operated by other carriers?

Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Searched for an answer but couldn't find anything... so posting...

Have a EWR -> NRT -> PVG flight with EWR->NRT leg on United (UA), and NRT->PVG leg on Air China (CA), both Star Alliance carriers.

When I check in at EWR, will United automatically check me into my Air China NRT->PVG flight or will I have to check in myself (either on the app or in person at the transfer counter)?

My connection is only 1 hour 10 min, so afraid I'd miss the check in cut off time in person at the transfer counter, if I do indeed need to do that.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Generally yes although you may still need to go to the transit counter to get a BP (which is a different step) but you should be sufficiently checked-in for the purposes of the check-in time cutoff.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:52 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I checked in yesterday for my IAD-HNL-OGG flights, the last being a code-share on HA. Got boarding passes for both segments.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by william818

Have a EWR -> NRT -> PVG flight with EWR->NRT leg on United (UA), and NRT->PVG leg on Air China (CA), both Star Alliance carriers.

When I check in at EWR, will United automatically check me into my Air China NRT->PVG flight or will I have to check in myself (either on the app or in person at the transfer counter)?

My connection is only 1 hour 10 min, so afraid I'd miss the check in cut off time in person at the transfer counter, if I do indeed need to do that.
When’s your trip? US citizens have global travel advisory as of today due to COVID-19.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by william818

You should be able to get boarding passes for both flights. Check-in with UA on the way there and with CA on the return trip.

However, do note once you have arrived in China, you will be asked to go into quarantine for 14 days, along with an extensive process before you can leave the airport. If you are a foreign national, you are not allowed to return to the US if you have been to China in the past 14 days. Even for those allowed back to the US, another self-quarantined period of 14 would be required.

Good luck; although I strongly urge you to rethink the trip, unless you absolutely have to go.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My last UA to CA connection did not give me boarding passes for CA ('airport check-in required'). That was connecting in PEK, so maybe it was a factor.

However, NRT connections are pretty easy, so I would not worry if that happens. Arriving from US, you will exit the plane directly into the terminal, so you can go straight to the transfer counter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.