Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Easy to cancel but what about upgrade co-pay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level

Hi all!

I was very impressed with how easy it was to cancel my flight for last week. I received immediate documentation of fare credit and redeposit of my miles. But I paid more than a bit to get upgraded to Polaris and all segments cleared. How will that be refunded? Should I be concerned?

thank you!
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by In2ishn
Hi all!

I was very impressed with how easy it was to cancel my flight for last week. I received immediate documentation of fare credit and redeposit of my miles. But I paid more than a bit to get upgraded to Polaris and all segments cleared. How will that be refunded? Should I be concerned?

thank you!
Your upgrade co-pay will be refunded to your original form of payment. Give them a full seven days and then follow up with the refunds department.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by jsloan
Your upgrade co-pay will be refunded to your original form of payment. Give them a full seven days and then follow up with the refunds department.
Hello,

I was asking recently about whether you can get a refund for cash upgrades purchased online if one cancels a revenue flight due to and covered by the Covid-19 option.

I was told the cost of the upgrades would be forfeit unless you found a sympathetic agent etc. if you cancelled the trip yourself before UA outright cancelled the flight

Is it somehow possible to have it refunded as easily as you mention above?

Thanks for any replies
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There are a couple kinds of upgrades that involve cash
-- Supported upgrades -- supported by PlusPoints or Miles + copay , these are refunded on cancellation
-- Upfared "upgrades" -- these become part of the fare and with be handled the same as a purchased fare
-- Cash upgrade fees -- these are generally non-refundable on voluntary cancellation (but some agents might transfer to a rebooking if done the same time as the cancellation)
In2ishn likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tattikat2
Is it somehow possible to have it refunded as easily as you mention above?
WineCountryUA is correct. The rules are different for different types of upgrades. Basically, miles + copay upgrades have always been refundable (with a re-deposit fee in some cases). Unfortunately, the same is not true for upgrades purchased with cash.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by jsloan
WineCountryUA is correct. The rules are different for different types of upgrades. Basically, miles + copay upgrades have always been refundable (with a re-deposit fee in some cases). Unfortunately, the same is not true for upgrades purchased with cash.
Thank you both jsloan and WineCountryUA for helping me understand the subtle differences!
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.