Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi

Pricing appears to be based upon the sector length, with a new purchase required for each sector.

Due to the nature of the satellite system, high latency is to be expected when using the system.

Here's the list of specific UA planes that have wifi.

And here's the overview from united.com.

Subscriptions are now offered which allow for unlimited wifi on flights
Print Wikipost

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FS Preferred Partner, Dorchester Diamond Club, Ritz Carlton Stars, Park Hyatt Prive
Great to know about the satellite option - I was on the UA transcon LAXJFK with my wife and their GoGo is more like SlowSlow - flew the same route last year and netflix, hulu, etc streamed just fine - now it looks like they actively stop any streaming video from those services. Clogged bandwidth on regular internet access too.

Happy to see that there are much better services that the carriers can hopefully implement in the coming years.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:12 am

So, if you luck out and end up on the roughly 5% of UA planes with wifi, it could theoretically be faster. I'd rather take my chances with slow wifi, as something is better than nothing on a transcon.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:34 am

I'm sorry I can't reference the article, but I remember reading about 5-6 months back that gogo had signed a deal with a satellite company that would allow them to provide wifi on transatlantic routes. As to speeds, etc, I really can't remember.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.3mm
SNA-IAH WIFI UA679 question

Mods, please move this to the appropriate thread if necessary.

Tomorrow's SNA-IAH flight on a A320 lists WIFI in the amenities. What will they charge for this 3:29 flight? I've only used Gogo on PS flights. I always buy ahead for $14 rather than the $22 they ask on board.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Probably 7.99, if it's working.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:18 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

PIT-LAX

Speed is pretty abysmal... $8.99.

Last edited by golfingboy; Aug 15, 2013 at 7:23 pm
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I paid $20 for three hours of GoGo on a ps flight on Tuesday. There was no high/low speed option. I didn't run a test, but speed was tolerable about half the time. The remainder of the time there was either no connection or so little bandwidth it was equivalent to no connection.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:07 pm

So far, half of time it works the other half it was disconnected. Not good so far.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I paid $20 for three hours of GoGo on a ps flight on Tuesday. There was no high/low speed option. I didn't run a test, but speed was tolerable about half the time. The remainder of the time there was either no connection or so little bandwidth it was equivalent to no connection.
GoGo on PS is a different technology/system than the new system being discussed here.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: MP - 1K, Hyatt - Platt, SPG - Gold
WIFI Bandwidth

Flying from LGA to ORD during the NFL opening weekend. Its on an A319 which gives me a 55% chance it will be wifi enabled - do you think the bandwidth will be enough to support streaming video from Directv's online viewing site? Specifically, through their mobile app?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:29 pm

No idea, but I didn't have much issue watching Netflix, however, the FA had to recycle the server several times as it keeps disconnecting from the satellite.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I tried to use netflix on my last UA flight and it didn't work initially; I had to log onto my company VPN, then I was able to stream it. The quality was poor so I gave up, I did however change over the to MLB.tv and had no problems streaming the radio brodcast of the Cubs game, however once again video quality was poor with a lot of buffering.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
This is probably also highly dependent on the usage of everyone else on the plane. Maybe everyone else will be watching the same thing.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
May I thank you in advance for hogging all the bandwidth?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
May I thank you in advance for hogging all the bandwidth?
No kidding...do you really need to stream video? It is shared bandwidth and will be crappy for everyone else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.