Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi

Pricing appears to be based upon the sector length, with a new purchase required for each sector.

Due to the nature of the satellite system, high latency is to be expected when using the system.

Here's the list of specific UA planes that have wifi.

And here's the overview from united.com.

Subscriptions are now offered which allow for unlimited wifi on flights
Print Wikipost

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:13 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Connexion by Boeing, which was the product on LH, was a whole different animal. It was extremely sophisticated and overbuilt, which is what made it both fast and expensive.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by ben237829624
Since its satellite connection, it's not unusual to have latency > than 500ms.
I'd say it's guaranteed to have a ping time of at least 484ms.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/ *G
On Board WiFi experience?

Was on UA 381 yesterday A319 from MDT - ORD. First plane I've ever been on with WiFi, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Sucked.

Spent $3.99 for the low-speed option, and it couldnt even sync Yahoo mail, or open a single webpage over the course of a 2 hour flight. This was on an iPad.

I've had no experience with any other carrier's system, so I cant compare. The guy across the aisle from me sprung for the high-speed connection ($6.99 I think), and he had some issues (such as disconnectiong occasionally), but at least he could get mail.

Not going to buy again unless others say this was an anomaly?

Last edited by tabTX; Jan 24, 2013 at 2:08 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by channa
What's more, awareness is probably low since it's so new on UA. What's going to happen when more people start using it?

GoGo felt fast early on, until more people started using it.
Everything is subject to Moore's Law.

DOCUMENTED complaints (with Speedtest.net reports appended) will be the ticket to faster speeds.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM+, HH Gold, Marriott Platinum
Personally I wish they'd offer just one option--fastest speed possible--and price it as necessary. Just make sure it works!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:50 am

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Greenland anecdotes aside, I would be interested in hearing feedback on speed/usability over continental U.S., i.e. where most people use internet on a plane to do their work
Old Jan 25, 2013, 1:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by aveRex
Personally I wish they'd offer just one option--fastest speed possible--and price it as necessary. Just make sure it works!
I would rather a MB limit, then throttled.

Not all of us chew through heaps of data, but we like the speed to use the system as it is designed, not for streaming video etc.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
I was on an A320 from ORD to SMF today that had wifi. No announcement was made and I found it by accident. They wanted $9.99 for slow and $14.99 for not as slow. Flight tracking and united.com were free, but united.com was so slow I didn't consider buying. I have no idea what speeds they were offering for free united.com browsing (though I would assume the slower of the two options), but it was taking a minute plus (literally) to navigate between pages on the site. Very slow and I don't imagine there were many people logged on. I half expected to hear the clanging of a modem connecting on a phone line.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
I bought the high speed for only $10.99. I can't remember the slower speed cost, but I think it was 5 or 6 bucks.

Speedtest results

Download: 2.51 Mbps.
Upload: 0.19 Mbps.
Ping Time: 446 ms
Connection Type: WIFI

So far so good

Last edited by ilovesprint; Feb 18, 2013 at 3:06 pm Reason: Speedtest
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:05 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
I was on a 319 with wifi on February 9, ORD-SFO. The pricing was $9.99 and $14.99. Since my battery was low, I chose the slower speed, which was fine for reading FT, email and the like.

I liked the ease of switching devices. You sign on the new device with your MP number and PIN.

The only problem I had was the moment the mail app launched I immediately received a email from gmail to each of my gmail addresses:

Pat89339,

Someone recently tried to use an application to sign in to your Google Account [email protected]. We prevented the sign-in attempt in case this was a hijacker trying to access your account. Please review the details of the sign-in attempt:

Sunday, February 10, 2013 1:43:00 AM UTC
IP Address: 64.88.227.134

If you do not recognize this sign-in attempt, someone else might be trying to access your account. You should sign in to your account and reset your password immediately. Find out how at <snip>

If this was you, and you want to give this application access to your account, complete the troubleshooting steps listed at <snip>

Note: This email address cannot accept replies.

Sincerely,
The Google Accounts Team
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ncorman
The issue is that everyone will expect "4G" speeds and not think they are in a tube moving at 500mph.
4G? What the heck is that? Why deal with 4G when there's LTE ?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:28 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Had a flight on Sunday DEN-SEA. Bought the regular speed for $6.99. Virtually unusable. 25-40 kbps (!) when it actually worked. Four out of five times when trying use my pop3 email client the request timed out. Talked to a couple of other folks on the plane who also finally gave up (as did I)

Who would you suggest writing to at UA requesting a refund? I suppose I could do a chargeback based on not being given what was advertised.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Who would you suggest writing to at UA requesting a refund? I suppose I could do a chargeback based on not being given what was advertised.
The downside with the chargeback on such a small value item is that no CC is going to process it as a chargeback. They'll just credit your $6.99 and move on, and the provider/UA/etc. will never get the message (although you will be made whole).
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: UA*S/Club, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Had a flight on Sunday DEN-SEA. Bought the regular speed for $6.99. Virtually unusable. 25-40 kbps (!) when it actually worked. Four out of five times when trying use my pop3 email client the request timed out. Talked to a couple of other folks on the plane who also finally gave up (as did I)

Go to http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...ds/refund.aspx and select "Wi-Fi refund" from the drop down menu. FWIW, I submitted a request for a DirecTV refund through the same site on 12/5/12, and received an e-mail granting the refund on 1/9/13, so it could take a while.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:24 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles
United Airlines Satellite WiFi (Panasonic) is MUCH faster than GoGo!

I tend to not buy wifi as I see it as a waste of $ unless I can get good performance out of it. The current GoGo system the majority of US airlines use which uses a special crafted network of EVDO Rev A towers maxes out @ 3.1Mbps and averages 1Mbps. This is supposedly being upgraded on the aircraft & network to 9.3Mbps so I'd say the average would triple to ~3-5Mbps.

Then I saw this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVDCQi51xlU

Wow can satellite wifi deliver performance! ~7Mbps down and ~1Mbps up with 800ms ping (expected).

That's 7x the speed of GoGo! Granted on the United A320 from SFO to LAS there probably wasn't lots of people using the WiFi (its not a business heavy route).

http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...i/default.aspx

United currently uses the GoGo service on the PS service from JFK-LAX/SFO. United should rip out the GoGo system and replace it with their new Panasonic satellite wifi that is going on the rest of the fleet if the performance is that good!

The ONLY advantage of GoGo right now is that it has lower latency (about half from a review a couple of years ago). This is negated by United fleet flexability as their satellite wifi can be used literally anywhere including over water where there's coverage.

Last edited by willzzz88; Aug 7, 2013 at 3:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.