Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is United the Only US Airline To Show Seat Availability

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

without having to book a flight? It's a great tool looking at the route you intend to fly and not having to book a reservation in order to select an assigned seat. I don't think AA or DL allows this. As an investor I find this a great tool for tracking capacity.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Its not really an accurate indicator of capacity or inventory. Many hosts of people book but do not select seats until check in.
jsloan and cuthroat like this.

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by TEBraniff
without having to book a flight? It's a great tool looking at the route you intend to fly and not having to book a reservation in order to select an assigned seat. I don't think AA or DL allows this. As an investor I find this a great tool for tracking capacity.
Alaska has a "seat preview" for every available flight selection. Bottom left hand side of Delta's search engine has "details" and "seats" options too. Not sure about aa.

Seat availability does not correspond to capacity. Basic economy fares and other discounted fares are not eligible for seat assignment. With some discounted fares you can not get a seat in the "preferred" section of economy. Also bookings exist where the passenger does not have a seat reservation simply because they didn't select one yet.

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by TEBraniff
One can view seat maps on AA and DL before booking a flight.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. I appreciate the info. I never thought about the seats that are assigned. Also surprised you can view seat maps on AA and DL without booking.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:26 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
JetBlue also lets you see the seats before booking, but you have to get all the way thru putting names into the reservation, but you can click out before entering payment info
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Seat availability does not correspond to capacity...
But it DOES correspond to seat selectability which the OP is trying to ascertain. OP can preview selectable seats before attempting to purchase tickets.
TEBraniff and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
But it DOES correspond to seat selectability which the OP is trying to ascertain. OP can preview selectable seats before attempting to purchase tickets.
yes, but also doesn’t reflect it 100%.

there are blocked seats, some of which become available to select at OLCI (7DE on narrowbody aircraft, for example). I think preferred seats may become available to anyone at OLCI as well.

On another note, add AC to the list of carriers that allows you to see available seats when searching, and prior to purchase. Fare type is also going to change what you see - Lattitude fares has access to pretty much any seat that hasn’t been selected yet, while lower fares show seats that aren’t open for selection on that fare type as occupied.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
And they all release this info to the GDS, so you can view it on EF.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:46 am

Programs: united
Southwest doesn't show it.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by emcampbe
yes, but also doesn’t reflect it 100%.

there are blocked seats, some of which become available to select at OLCI....
Yes it does. The seat map shows ALL the selectable seats available at the time you look at it (and coincidentally at the time the OP is looking to book and select). Blocked seats are not selectable at that time
TEBraniff likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yes it does. The seat map shows ALL the selectable seats available at the time you look at it (and coincidentally at the time the OP is looking to book and select). Blocked seats are not selectable at that time
This is where EF is especially useful, since it shows blocked whereas the carriers will just show the seats as unavailable.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:27 pm

AA does have a seat map that anyone can view, but it's buried on the website. I had to google it, which led me to flyertalk, which led to me a link someone posted to the right page
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
AA does have a seat map that anyone can view, but it's buried on the website. I had to google it, which led me to flyertalk, which led to me a link someone posted to the right page
Thanks. I'll try and find it via Google. In spite of some saying you can do this at AA or DL I have not been able to until you try to book the flight. UA lets you see availability simply by filling in departure and destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.