Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 789 in Business or Delta One 764?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:50 am
Original Poster

UA 789 in Business or Delta One 764?

For those of you that have flown both products, for an eastbound transatlantic flight from the west coast, would you choose a United 789 (in Business, but not the real Polaris), or a Delta 767-400 (refurbished Delta One)?

Thanks!

Danski
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
What route and how do they compare price-wise and schedule-wise. 789 is a better plane and the middle aisle seats give easy access to well, the aisle. If it is a short flight (to LHR, CDG), then 789 might be better.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:44 am
Original Poster

The UA 789 would be DEN-LHR, the Delta 764 would be PDX-LHR.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
I find UA 789 seat better for sleeping than DL 764. Since it's eastbound TATL, I would pick UA for the more comfortable bed.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
789 is a better plane
Not sure what that refers to. Personally, I've never found the claimed advantages of the 787 (specifically, the higher cabin pressure) meaningful or noticeable. And while some carriers (e.g., NH) have outfitted their 789s well, IMO UA has not. The short seat, lack of privacy, and lack of all-aisle access being particular problems.

OP, when you reference "refurbished" Delta One, do you mean the new suite? If so, I think the question is whether you value privacy, direct aisle access, and a fresher, cleaner, more "state of the art" product with better storage (D1) vs. a better cushioned and more easily adjusted seat (UA).

There's also the question of DL vs. UA overall. DL runs a more competent operation, though I've found the in-air service just as hit or miss as UA's.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 2.3 MM
I guess the answer to your question is "what is Delta One?" As with Polaris there are different representations of that product. I flew the Delta One product on a 764 from ATL - MXP and back. I was warned that this AC had an old seat style/configuration and was NOT the Delta One experience. They were correct. The seat was horrible, too hard/firm, narrow and no stowage in the seat. It for me was extremely uncomfortable. The soft product was extremely good. Comfort-wise, not good at all. I, personally, would choose the UA product from seat comfort.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Yeah, old Delta One would be a definite no-no - UA Polaris (any) for the win. Just did D1 to GIG and it was hard and narrow. New D1 I haven't tried.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I flew a new Delta One at this point would have been about a year ago when I couldn't get a decent price on UA. It was fine. I prefer Polaris but I wouldn't give one or the other some big edge. (And I personally didn't find the Delta food to be any better/worse than UA)
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA
Yea I'd check the seat layout on the Delta 767, and see whether it is the new Delta "Suite". The old Delta One product on their 767 was the worst of all their long-haul planes (still lie-flat but narrow and coffin like, facing straight forward in a staggered layout). I'd put Polaris on a 787 well ahead of it. That said, if it happens to be a 767 retrofitted with the Suites, I'd recommend that if only to see how their Suite product is.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Jkrun03
The old Delta One product on their 767 was the worst of all their long-haul planes (still lie-flat but narrow and coffin like, facing straight forward in a staggered layout).
Yes, that's the Thompson Vantage and it's a terrible seat. Super narrow and not well padded.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:48 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Jkrun03
Yea I'd check the seat layout on the Delta 767, and see whether it is the new Delta "Suite". The old Delta One product on their 767 was the worst of all their long-haul planes (still lie-flat but narrow and coffin like, facing straight forward in a staggered layout). I'd put Polaris on a 787 well ahead of it. That said, if it happens to be a 767 retrofitted with the Suites, I'd recommend that if only to see how their Suite product is.
767s do not have Delta One Suites. It's a non-enclosed Thompson Vantage although it's changed from the previous seats they had installed. It's basically the suite without being enclosed and with some size adjustments. I would still prefer it to the UA 787 with B/E Diamond seats myself though.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

This would be the Delta One retrofitted suites, just without the door.

Last edited by Danski; Mar 13, 2020 at 6:46 am Reason: Typo
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:27 pm

I've never flown Delta One suites but I've flown UA enough to say try Delta.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by Danski
This would be the Delta One retrofitted suites, just with the door.
The refurbished 767-400 don't have doors, it's just a refreshed version of the same seats. The D1 suites with doors are only flying on A330neo, A350 and B777 which have with the Thomson Vantage XL seats.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:49 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Danski
This would be the Delta One retrofitted suites, just with the door.
I assume you mean without the door, in which case as I said, they're not Delta One Suites and the dimensions are not identical either, the seat is significantly more narrow than the A350 and 777 suites.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.