Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

COVID19 / Will Be Difficult to Go Back to Normal Times

Old Mar 11, 20, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus

Over the last month, it has been such a joy flying:
1) Continually thanked for being a 1K
2) Deserted Lounges
3) Getting entire rows in economy plus
4) Being CPU'd almost every flight
5) Changes are so easy.
6) Lower fares

I am going to miss this when normal times return.
Old Mar 11, 20, 8:23 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Sounds like life when the skies re-opened right after 9/11/01. Me and about 20 others going EWR to ORD.
767-322ETOPS likes this.
Old Mar 11, 20, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by azfanboy View Post
Over the last month, it has been such a joy flying
Apparently, I need to start flying your routes. I haven't seen any of that. My CPU% is 50%, and I certainly haven't had an empty row to myself in E+. Last year, during approximately the same time period, my upgrade rate was >80%, although some of those may have been RPUs -- I don't keep track.
st3 likes this.
Old Mar 11, 20, 9:20 am
st3

Programs: National Exec, UA MP, Bonvoy
Since 2/21 I have taken 5 flights. 0/5 CPU and the UC at DEN definitely wasn't a ghost town.
Old Mar 11, 20, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Oh yeah!
It's great right now.
I just got a fantastic PlusPoints UG from PHX-DEN. No CPUs so far this year-got my fingers crossed though.

By the way, I truly loathe the, "Thank for being 1K, your loyalty is appreciated", platitudes.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 11, 20, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan View Post
Apparently, I need to start flying your routes. I haven't seen any of that. My CPU% is 50%...
I'd love to see 50%. 5 flights in next 12 days and only one looks like it will be an easy CPU (assuming it's not cancelled). I have PPs applied to three others and I'm thinking one might clear. I need a lot more people to cancel so I can be disappointed in UA's F food.
Old Mar 11, 20, 9:55 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by gene2632 View Post
Sounds like life when the skies re-opened right after 9/11/01. Me and about 20 others going EWR to ORD.
It really has that feel. I've been thanked for my business (almost profusely) at nearly all touchpoints. Upgrades clearing at the window. Captain on my flight yesterday was out in the aisle discussing the planned route, winds, turbulence forecast, etc. Haven't seen anything like that with regularity since the post-9/11 era. Eerie, almost.
tuolumne likes this.
Old Mar 11, 20, 10:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The real question is how much business travel recovers. Technology is vastly improved since 9/11 and there are a lot of meetings where travel was thought essential which people can do quite well via cheap high-quality video. Once people get used to it, the business case for much travel goes out the window.

Same for remote work. If one can work remotely from an office 20 miles away, one can do the same as a consultant from across the country.
Old Mar 11, 20, 10:47 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by azfanboy View Post
Over the last month, it has been such a joy flying:
1) Continually thanked for being a 1K
2) Deserted Lounges
3) Getting entire rows in economy plus
4) Being CPU'd almost every flight
5) Changes are so easy.
6) Lower fares

I am going to miss this when normal times return.
Seriously? I will be the first to admit the virus is being over hyped, but it is disrupting millions of lives, and could very well crush the airline I have worked at for almost 2 decades. We are already seeing the airline offer some pilots reduced guaranteed hours, to not fly for a month. People's jobs are at risk... But gosh, as long as you are happy, who cares...
Old Mar 11, 20, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Originally Posted by 757FO View Post
Seriously? I will be the first to admit the virus is being over hyped, but it is disrupting millions of lives, and could very well crush the airline I have worked at for almost 2 decades. We are already seeing the airline offer some pilots reduced guaranteed hours, to not fly for a month. People's jobs are at risk... But gosh, as long as you are happy, who cares...
I feel your pain. I think the OP is simply looking at the opposite side of the same coin. After being crammed into full planes forever, it's just a bit of relief to get a bit of extra room and perhaps an upgrade.

That said, it's horrible for the airlines. I've been watching a few flights' status over the past few days. Routes that are normally impossible for upgrades are going out with so many open seats.

SFO-FRA for example, yesterday, normally one of the hardest upgrades in the entire system, half full in the front. Even less full in the back. SFO-IAD and VV yesterday HAD OPEN SEATS IN THE FRONT. That upgrade list can easily reach 50/60/70 or more.

Let's hope this all ends soon.
Old Mar 11, 20, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K(until 2022), MM *G for life, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by climmy View Post
I feel your pain. I think the OP is simply looking at the opposite side of the same coin. After being crammed into full planes forever, it's just a bit of relief to get a bit of extra room and perhaps an upgrade.

That said, it's horrible for the airlines. I've been watching a few flights' status over the past few days. Routes that are normally impossible for upgrades are going out with so many open seats.

SFO-FRA for example, yesterday, normally one of the hardest upgrades in the entire system, half full in the front. Even less full in the back. SFO-IAD and VV yesterday HAD OPEN SEATS IN THE FRONT. That upgrade list can easily reach 50/60/70 or more.

Let's hope this all ends soon.
Agreed, but it will get a lot worse first. The last two weeks have been the window of opportunity to travel and conclude business. The risk of going on a trip now is that, when you want to return in a week's time, it may not be possible - either the USA or Germany might be in lockdown, you might be required to self-isolate or there might be no flights. Few people will want to take the risk of starting a large business trip at this stage - even if their company is willing for them to run that risk.
Old Mar 11, 20, 11:30 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Thank you both. I'm now a CA on the 767, and see the loads rapidly diminishing. I'm worried, not just for my passengers, but also my crew. Between the risk of infection, and the risk of potential furloughs, it is a tough moment for all of us.

Safe travels to all of you.
greg99, cesco.g, cawhite and 15 others like this.
Old Mar 11, 20, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I have yet to experience the empty planes. Every flight for the past few weeks has been packed.
Old Mar 11, 20, 11:49 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The real question is how much business travel recovers. Technology is vastly improved since 9/11 and there are a lot of meetings where travel was thought essential which people can do quite well via cheap high-quality video. Once people get used to it, the business case for much travel goes out the window.

Same for remote work. If one can work remotely from an office 20 miles away, one can do the same as a consultant from across the country.
Yep, I am sure will be the case for some...fortunately for me, my travel work involves me actually putting my hands on stuff - and no robots yet!
Old Mar 11, 20, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by 757FO View Post
Thank you both. I'm now a CA on the 767, and see the loads rapidly diminishing. I'm worried, not just for my passengers, but also my crew. Between the risk of infection, and the risk of potential furloughs, it is a tough moment for all of us.

Safe travels to all of you.
Thanks for all you guys are doing, and good luck with what is to come.

A couple of weeks back, I unfortunately broke the news of the last big round of Asia suspensions to a F/A on my flight from SYD.

I saw the shock and fear in her eyes, and I asked "but aren't you guys all senior on this flight? You should be OK, right?" She said "no, not me, everyone else is, but I just got called in for the trip - I could be furloughed." At that point, like never before, I realized the personal impact that this would have on everyone working for airlines.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: