Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why do Polaris seats require a shoulder strap?

Old Mar 7, 20, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Bonvoy Ambassador

I got my 13yo an upgrade when he joined me on a trip to India, and I realized I didn't have a good answer for his question of why the Polaris hard product seats (which we got outbound to Mumbai) require use of a shoulder strap on takeoff and landing but the older 2+2+2 business class product (which we had returning from Delhi) doesn't. Is it an FAA regulation or a guideline from the seat manufacturer? Why only takeoff and landing and not when the seatbelt sign comes on?
Old Mar 7, 20, 11:40 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
I always assumed it was because the seats are angled more than the older config.
Old Mar 8, 20, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
It is because of the angle of the seat relative to the direction of travel of the aircraft.
WindowSeatFlyer and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 8, 20, 8:06 am

My recollection is that any seat angled more than 18 degrees from the center line (nose to tail) requires a shoulder strap.

So seemingly only the even-numbered seats need them, but for consistency, I assume, they put them on every seat.
SFO_LOW_CLOUDS likes this.
Old Mar 8, 20, 8:20 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
The seats where safety approved with the shoulder straps. Odd numbered seats are not angled and have the shoulder straps
Old Mar 8, 20, 8:32 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
The shoulder belt is used to comply with FAA's 16G rule. For most seats on the airplane, the seats in front of you or the bulkhead would help absorb the impact. However, for larger pod-like seats, where you can't reach the "wall" in front of you, the options to meet the rule are either installing an airbag system (those bulky, fanny pack-like bag attached to a seat belt), or use a shoulder belt restraint to comply with the requirement.

This is the same reason why the former IPTE first class seats had a shoulder belt as well.
Often1 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 20, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This belt was required during the development phase of the angled seats to address the possibility of your head impacting other structure (walls/sidewalls/furniture) during a crash. This was quite a topic internally when the first old IPTE (IPP) seats were being installed.
Old Mar 9, 20, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Bonvoy Ambassador
Thanks everyone for the clear explanations.
Old Mar 9, 20, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Raddison Gold
I'm fairly certain if they could pass FAA tests without the strap, they would have gone without it.
Old Mar 10, 20, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
So if I turn 19-degrees sideways in an economy seat for takeoff or landing I need to ask the FA for a shoulder strap? I can see them coming down the aisle barking orders to sit straight :-)
Old Mar 10, 20, 11:07 am
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by LimeySD View Post
So if I turn 19-degrees sideways in an economy seat for takeoff or landing I need to ask the FA for a shoulder strap? I can see them coming down the aisle barking orders to sit straight :-)
The rule only applies to the seat, not the passenger. Plus if you were turning 19 degrees sideways, you are hugging the passenger next to you.
wxguy likes this.
Old Mar 10, 20, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, SQ*PPS, AA*EXP, Hyatt*Globalist
Perhaps this is the off the topic:

I often wonder why SQs enormous F and J seats are without shoulder straps. Those seat belts are quite loose. I guess it is because they are not angle seats.
Old Mar 10, 20, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer View Post
Perhaps this is the off the topic:

I often wonder why SQ’s enormous F and J seats are without shoulder straps. Those seat belts are quite loose. I guess it is because they are not angle seats.
It's been a while.... but I believe they have airbags within the belts as supplemental restraints. https://stuckattheairport.com/2011/0...-be-an-airbag/
Old Mar 10, 20, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
My memory is often fuzzy, but didn't lack of shoulder belts delay the original pmUA IPTE deployment about 10 years back?
Old Mar 10, 20, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Personally, in the event of an accident, I would prefer not face-plant into a large glass screen right in front of me, so the straps are a rather helpful addition.

They only need to stay on for a short time relative to the length of flight.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: